1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you get sick of certain styles after awhile

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 13, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (865) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

About four years ago I was drinking IPA's like crazy. After several months of mostly hoppy beers, I started getting sick of them. Soon I didn't even want to smell a hop. After about a year hiatus, slowly but surely I'm drinking them again. I've learned my lesson not to over do one style. Variety is the spice of life.

2. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Not if their great IPA's, now that Sucks is around and 2H Ale I don't get hop burnout. And I trade for stuff I can't get. I figured out that I was burnt out not on the hops but in drinking average stuff like Mojo and the like.

3. Yeah, I've been burnt out on IPAs for a while now. Started to delve into stouts and porters more and couldn't be happier. To me, there is more variety in stouts and such.

djrn2 likes this.
  4. i wouldn't say i get sick of one style but i like to keep it fresh, for instance maybe one week i'll just drink some ipa's, a week after that i'll probably grab some heavy imperial stouts. the dark heavy beer is great around this time, warms you right up ;)

5. I may not be able to taste a certain style as well without rotating styles once in a while, but get sick of a style? No.

djrn2 likes this.
  6. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I get sick of every style if I drink too much ;)

Stockfan42, DelMontiac and djrn2 like this.
  7. Cozzatoad

Cozzatoad Savant (295) Italy Feb 2, 2011

IPAs. Really enjoy them, but i have to put 3/4 beers from different styles in between if i don't want to feel tired about them. So it's usually no more then one IPA per week for me. Doesn't happen with other styles

8. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Depends on the weather. Summers I like IPA and DIPAs. Winter its all about stouts. I get what your saying though.

9. captwalt

captwalt Disciple (70) Maryland Feb 15, 2011

That is an interesting query indeed. I feel it would be far more acurate, in my case, to say that I get interested in different styles and lower my consumption of others. But I don't ever get sick of a style. I do drink seasonally because thats whats available. I may not buy a wheat beer in the winter but not because i am sick of them but because I am drinking other styles that suit my fancy at the time.

10. I get sick of IPA's after a while if they are really hoppy and then I will switch to less hoppy more sessionable IPA's for a while.

11. If I get sick of a style of beer its never for more than a couple days. I think we can all agree its a different story with liquor... there's one or two liquors I don't think I'll ever touch again-

LMT and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  12. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

Love IPA's starting to venture into other styles.

13. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

Bourbon barrel stouts!

nickapalooza86 likes this.
  14. Happens with anything if you gorge. I couldn't eat cashews for a few years.

Lantern likes this.
  15. I very rarely drink the same beer one after another so as not to fatigue my palate. Last night I had a Freshchester pale ale, a Naragannsett porter, a can of 3Bean, and a can of Resin. When I do burn out on something, I'll usually grab a sixer of Genny Cream or PBR just to dull down the taste buds for a day or two. Works everytime!

gcamparone likes this.
  16. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I've found I'm on a six month rotation. Hophead for six months, then I suddenly find hops offensively bitter and I just want stouts, porters, and Belgiany malt bombs. Then all of that becomes unappealing, and I crave palate busting furiously hoppy beers. Spring and Summer are my hop months, Fall and Winter are my dark months. I'm already starting to crave hops. Maybe that. means we'll have an early Spring. Screw the groundhog, I'll trust my beer instincts.

Kerrie, Nectar and gcamparone like this.
  17. Kaz646

Kaz646 Zealot (80) California Dec 14, 2010

I've recently been on a hiatus from sours for 3-4 months. As much as I love them, sometimes I feel it's a good choice to take a break from them. For one, I feel I appreciate them more after a break, but also they can take a toll on my stomach. That being said, I think this will be a sour kind of weekend.

gcamparone likes this.
  18. Yup, happened to me with stouts and porters a few months ago. I freaked out. Slowly but surely I'm enjoying them again, though.

19. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

My tastes change like the seasons for sure...but as always i come crawling back eventually

20. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

I've mostly lost interest in brown ales, perhaps because I see less fluctuation in flavor from one to the next. Then again, maybe I just need new suggestions...

21. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

other than the really blow-your-mind IPA/DIPAs, i haven't really enjoyed the style since last may, after a solid year of drinking only IPAs. :(

22. Yes. Drink something else for a while.

23. Seasonal for me. Heavier stouts during the cold months, hoppier beers during the spring, fruit forward beers like Belgians during the summer.

24. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

I like to try and drink different styles with the seasons, that way burnout is much less. I'm starting to get on a Pilsner kick right about now, but I'm always up for an IPA year round regardless.

25. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

I'm sick of bourbon barrel everything. It really getting run into the ground for me.

visualmartyr likes this.
  26. variety is the spice of life.. i try not to keep to many ipa's in fridge etc as they fall off quicer than other styles.. right now i've been on an ipa binge.. but that was after a stout/porter etc binge.. once i finish all the sucks/NN/hopslam i have i'll probably go back to porter/stout/barleywine/sours for a spell until i get the IPA itch again come spring/early summer

27. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

I cycle through preferences.
    At the moment I only want balanced, drinkable session beers.
    Pretty much all of 2012 I didn't want anything with a big hop presence and only drank dark.
    The thought of drinking a RIS right now sounds unpleasant

28. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

I went 4-5 months of drinking nothing but high ABV Stouts, Strong Ales, Barleywines, and Imperial whatever's...it got to the point where I would stare at my cellar and walk away empty handed because nothing sounded good anymore (and I love everything in there). I typically drink different styles according to the season (not every beer but mostly), I just decided I am going to start drinking styles according to what I'm eating that way I change it up more often. I'm finding a renewed appreciation for pale ales and sessionable beers of late.

29. I rotate brands and styles so often that it rarely happens.

Lately I've been picking up six packs, bombers and 1/2 liters instead of 12 packs and cases.

When I burn out on a style it's usually because I bought too much of it.

30. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

No. I could drink Heady, Phily, Sucks, Sculpin, Gandhi-bot, and Jai-Alai until the day I die.

dnoahg and Bitter_Echo like this.
  31. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I mix up styles almost daily, which keeps me interested. This past fall I was getting tired of IPA's, but stout season came just in time. After tiring of stouts I starting quaffing Belgian Pale Ales with them. Now I'm on an Imperial Red kick, but still mixing in stouts and IPA's. I just can't stopping drinking beer, it's impossible.

32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Got sick of IPAs for the first time in my beer life a few months ago. They all started tasting like cough medicine and pine sol. Started hitting the malt heavy beers until recently, now I'm burned out on bocks, stouts, and barleywines. They are starting to all taste like syrup. Now I'm back to the hops again and I can't get enough!

33. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I hear ya, to me they are special, "treat" beers that you can't have too often. Drinking them all the time is like eating a gallon of ice cream every day.

34. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Too much of one type of beer is usually not good for me, especially the uber-hyped kind.

35. I second this. Except stouts. Never get sick of stouts.

36. yeah i can get finicky when it comes to styles. even over the course of an evening i'll lose interest in a style (regardless if it's a favorite), if i have more than a couple. i'm always jumping from style to style, IPA to BSPA to quad to stout. i like the change of pace.

37. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I still mostly like stouts and porters but lately they've tasted all the same. I'm branching out into IPAs and finding a good variety. That said, I still greatly prefer stouts/porters, but the break is refreshing.

38. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (480) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I purposely rotate styles and brands. I usually attempt to drink a couple different styles in a sitting (if 12 oz). There is so much variety out there that there is no reason to ever go stagnant on a particular style.

39. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Nope here. IPAs/DIPAs are essential always.
    I range out and try out other styles too, but
    nothing beats IPA/DIPA for me, so far.

40. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I spent the first 12 years of my beer drinking life drinking American Adjunct Lagers. I am so fucking tired of them there aren't words to adequately express it.

Been on a hoppy pale American ales kick for a while now. If I am lucky enough to live another 314 years it is possible I will tire of them.