Do you jump on a good deal even if the beer isn't that great ?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DarkDragon999, Feb 14, 2013.

1. no. but yesterday i saw cases of SN Ruthless Rye @ Costco for 23.99/case & almost instinctively grabbed a case, just because. then i rationalized i'd probably not finish it quickly enough anyway.

2. If I've never tried the beer, then yes.

3. Wow ! How come that never happens to me ? Normally a bar will "downgrade", or at least replace their "Happy Hour" beer with something in the same price range. That was definitely a good deal. Loose Cannon isn't the best IPA by a long shot, but it's certainly tasty and more interesting than the Yeungling. (And I'm not knocking Yeungling - I like many of their brews, too.)

4. absolutely, saw chickory stout (4pack) for like $6 and change so i grabbed it, great session beer

Willbfun likes this.
  5. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

If I've had it and know its not worth it, not at all. But If a friend likes it, or if its a newbie for me I will definitely pick it up. There's not enough time to drink the beer I like as it is!

6. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

confession: I don't look at prices normally when I shop for beers. I just gather what I want and suffer the consequences. I never buy something I don't simply adore. (I DO, however, buy many new beers based on BA reviews...) I drink 1 beer a night, and I want it to be something fabulous!

(Once I put a beer back on the shelf due to price: it was something I never tried, and the shop owner alerted me that it was a $45 bottle... didn't want to risk hating something so expensive. But, like I said, only happened once.)

Willbfun and Andygirl like this.
  7. DC doesn't see much in the way of bargains for good beer. I just picked up a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo for $16.99 at Harris Teeter and that's about as good as it gets.

8. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

No. There's too much good beer on the shelf to grab stuff I don't really want out of the bargain bin.

9. If I am drinking purely for sport -- to get drunk -- then yes, I will drink some very cheap stuff. That is very rarely the case these days (maybe once a year).

Otherwise, I won't buy a beer I don't like but if I am just shopping to buy something to keep in the fridge I would likely take the discounted beer I like over the non-discounted beer I like about the same.

A great deal will usually get picked up. It looks like Chimay white isn't getting sold around here anymore so the local stores have either been discounting the bottles or just waiting out the sales. A local grocer had 750ml bottles for $5 so I bought the four remaining bottles on clearance. I don't drink it very often but it is a solidly good beer and a great one to pop out when sharing with a mixed crowd of drinkers.

Willbfun likes this.
  10. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Only if I know of others that like it. Cause I'm not drinking it.

11. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Yes, because I'm of the opinion that good beer is a good thing. Great beer is great, but sometimes good and cheap is its own sort of pleasure.

12. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Never, I don't drink enough craft weekly to do this, I supplement with Ultra or Miller Lite when I want low ABV and something just light and clean, and I have a ton of Stouts in my closet if I get an itch.

I've never bought based on a bargain, the bargain is usually old beer about to expire or out of season, but i have passed on good stuff because I thought it was priced too highly.

13. There are no "good" deals on "bad" beer.

shuajw and nc41 like this.
  14. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

15. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Usually no, unless I know what I'm buying. It a store is marking down a beer it's because it's getting old, or it's out of season, and they want it gone. My only exception for this is if the beer is a limited release and there is no certainty that I will ever see it again.

16. Not no more.

17. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I bought a beer for 49 cents about a month ago. I knew it would more then likely be horrible, it was from some brewery in Wisconsin I had never heard of and was a "peach wheat ale". I will say this, if I ever see one again for that price I may have another.

18. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (265) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Depends how "not that good" the beer is. If it was Saranac like in your example... probably not. If it was something like Wolaver's IPA I probably would do it. I can't really think of any other examples. It would have to be a beer I'd buy, but I don't because there so many other better options. I wouldn't buy a beer I didn't really like just because it was cheaper.

19. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

I usually do a mixed sixer, a good deal really means little to nothing to me. If price were really the reason why I drank craft beers, I'd be drinking a lot less Surly, Odell, and Cantillon. I'd also be drinking a lot more Leinenkugel's 12 packs.

20. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Ditto.

5thOhio likes this.
  21. 6-pack of Genesee tallboys for under $4 including tax and deposit? Yes I buy it.

Willbfun likes this.
  22. Depends, I picked up a 6 pack of Deschutes Green Lakes Amber Ale for $3.99, never trying it before, it was good for an amber.

23. fredmugs likes this.
  24. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

As long as it is a decent beer I'll go for the bargain. Why not?

25. I will almost always jump on a good deal. I hit up Total Wine when the previous seasons beer is $3.99 for a sixer. You run the risk of things not being as fresh, but you've got to do a cost/benefit analysis. That's my strategy. I will buy something I really want and pay a premium, and then again, I will buy a bargain and hope my palate will want it down the road.

26. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (365) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Depends. If it's something somewhat rare I may buy it and try to trade it. I think most people would do this.

27. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

The way I take your post, you just gave the store $9.99 for some beer where you say at least 2 of them aren't bad. I think you lost, the store won, and they made you think you came out on top. Brilliant marketing!

To answer your question, I would never buy a beer I didn't like, regardless of how cheap it was.

28. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

No never, I would rather drink beer I like, kooky I know.

29. CTJman

CTJman Champion (795) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

If you're going to a party. Bring it and a side selection for you

30. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

A bit off topic, but semi relevant... I bought a 12 pack of Saranac Winter at Whole Food in early October when winter packs were first starting to circulate the Pittsburgh area. It was an impulse buy, simply because, I love winter. Anywho, I walk out to my car, and I realize... I really don't like any of these beers. Nothing in the variety pack interests me. Now, thats not to say I don't like anything from Saranac, but their winter variety was just... blah.
    So afterwards, I decided I'm going to call and see if I can do an exchange. The woman was extremely nice, and said of course. So I went back and exchanged it for a couple 4 packs of Founders Harvest Ale, and I was happy.

I guess the moral of the story is, I'm a cheap bastard that returned a 12 pack of Saranac because the variety pack grossed me out. I'd rather spend a few more dollars on 8 bottles of something awesome, than something lackluster.

Willbfun likes this.
  31. The only time i accept mediocre beer period anymore is when good beer is not available ( and I am wanting a drink). This site has cursed me into being even pickier than I was before.

32. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Almost never do this. Life is too short and there are too many awesome beers. Plus, many of them aren't limited/brewery only releases that don't cost an arm and a leg.

33. I generally try to buy beers I've never had. If there's a beer I like from a brewery I like on sale, maybe.

34. There's all the difference between spending money and wasting it. To spend $10 and get $10 worth of enjoyment is fine; to cut corners and spend $5 on what gives $2 worth of enjoyment hasn't saved $5 it's wasted $3.

35. If the deal is what's all that great, then yes. My local beer guy sold me a bomber of saranac high peaks lemon ginger for 2 bucks! Last time I had it I was already too drunk to give it a proper review... It was definitely fate if you ask me

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

A buck a pint in DC!!! Get the fuck outta here, even if it's Yuengling (Loose Cannon being obviously more interesting) that is a killer deal for that town!

37. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) Pennsylvania Dec 27, 2009

Usually no, but sometimes yes. I recently bought a 12-pack of Genny Bock for $7.50. It certainly wasn't an amazing beer, but I thought it was a great deal, especially considering it's about my own option for bock.

38. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Of course I usually go quality over quantity, but I think everyone buys on price at some point -- if not we'd be drinking Founders KBS and Westy 12 every night.

I was at the Piggly Wiggly at Myrtle Beach Saturday, and I say some Sam Adams Verloren (Gose) for $2 a bomber. I wouldn't have bought that beer otherwise, but I happily bought two bottles at that price.

39. Usually no. If it is a brewery I trust, I might do it, but otherwise no.

40. Why buy something that you don't really want to drink? The annoying Dennis Miller was speaking about 2 for 1 specials at K-Mart and noted that "two of shit is still shit". Why bother unless your a sick alcoholic or are buying it for company?