1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you pour the yeast into a witbier the way you do a hefeweizen?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Greywulfken, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

I'm about to have an Allagash White in a nonic pint glass, and I can see the dark layer of yeast on the bottom. With a hefeweizen, I stir up the yeast and include it in my pour. Should I do the same with a witbier?

Thanks.

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

If it's the very thin white haze, yes. I'm fairly sure that's the norm.

If it's solidified into chunks then I don't. I don't like dancing chunks in my beer.

3. Some of it... I eye the pour and just let in enough to make me happy. I like a little filth now and again, but normaly, I try to find a nice medium.

4. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

Well, I had to have it well before any response (poor impulse control and all), so I just poured it in normal style - some yeast went in with the last drops but I left it as that - didn't do the thing where you swirl some beer in the bottom of the bottle to get it all into the glass.
    Didn't get much of a head despite a fairly confident pour...
    [​IMG]
    You can see some of the yeast haze from the pour:
    [​IMG]
    If I get it again, I'll give it the full yeast treatment, just for comparison purposes.

Nice beer, BTW.

franklinn and BobZ like this.
  5. antilite

antilite Aficionado (160) Florida Jan 1, 2012

I always do the swirl and pour, but into my Stone taster glass, and then have a sip. Then, I have three options: Finish the tasters glass. Pour it into the beer. Pour it into the drain. Since I like the taste of many yeast varieties, I enjoy tossing down the taster contents.

6. When pouring a hefeweizen you're strongly encouraged to swirl the yeast into your glass. However, with a Belgian wit ale your not supposed to add the yeast. The reason being is that because your drinking a "white ale" if you add the yeast the beer no longer has the true appearance of how its intended to look.

All of this being said.. I usually pour in the yeast when drinking wit ales. :)

7. Pour it all.

kojevergas likes this.
  8. personal taste triumphs again. Myself a Wit/Hefe needs to be cloudy so i pour a nice portion ( depending on how fresh the beer is)

9. I always follow the swirl and pour method.