1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you prefer drinking from cans or bottles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Would you rather drink your favorite beer straight from a can, or a bottle?

1. Cans

95 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Bottles

80 vote(s)
    45.7%
  1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

The recent news of Samuel Adams canning their beers (http://www.boston.com/business/inno...finally-can/7or2P9nNby90ONjTgVF9yI/story.html) inspired me to make this thread.

I'm not asking this in a, "Do you like bad beer or good beer?" way, because that wouldn't make sense. At all. I'm just wondering, if you could drink something like a Pliny, Sucks, Breakfast Stout, Zombie Dust, Two Hearted, etc. from a can or bottle, which would you want to choose? And no, you can't say "NEITHER. A GLASS." because that's a pretty obvious choice.

Personally, I vote can... for many reasons. Firstly, I'm not convinced that the can negatively changes the taste of a beer -- though I've yet to do a side-by-side taste test to verify. If anything, I found that an adjunct like PBR tastes better out of a can, though it may have just been a fresher can than bottle.

Secondly, I just feel like it's more comfortable/enjoyable to drink from a can just due to the opening. I prefer the look of bottles for the most part, but I'm not one to drink a beer as a way of making a fashion statement.

Lastly, they're more convenient than bottles (assuming the bottles aren't twist caps). They're more compact, easier to open, etc. I'm excited that Oskar Blues is coming to Michigan, and I hope more canned beers are on the way... especially from some Michigan breweries.
  2. Cans are a better storage vessel, but bottles are easier to drink out of.
    Kyrojack and DelMontiac like this.
  3. Alextricity

Explain..?
    ThirstyFace likes this.
  4. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

This is a tough question. While I love cans, I would have to choose glass as my vessel to drink from. However, as you said, cans are much more convenient. So if I'm drinking "on the go" I would have to choose cans. While I've never noticed a taste difference in the beer, glass is more inert when you touch it to your lips and you also don't smell the aluminum lid when you drink it.

That being said, if I have the choice between can or glass I always buy the canned version of said beer.
  5. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Aluminum bottles.
    yamar68, Tracker83 and bifrost17 like this.
  6. I just don't like drinking from cans never have, to me the beer flows smoother from a bottle.
    JamesMN and Alextricity like this.
  7. Alextricity

I'M SO CONFUSED.
    PaleZombie likes this.
  8. JK4Stout

JK4Stout Aficionado (240) Virginia May 10, 2010

I personally prefer bottles. I think to save the bottle (especially those with a painted label) is something to look back with fondly. Cans don't give the same. And I personally feel the carbonation in many canned brews is off. Oskar Blues is an exception here (LOVE their stuff), but many others just don't seem to feel the same on the tongue to me.
  9. Gmann

Gmann Advocate (510) New York Aug 13, 2006

The only problem with cans is that you are putting your lips directly on the metal and your nose. While the can may not impart any metallic notes into the beer, drinking it directly from the can can give a metal flavor/aroma because you are physically touching the can.

Other than that I prefer cans because they are better light protection, lighter, and easier to stack into a cooler.
  10. Pretty sure he is saying he likes to buy cans and pour into a glass.
    jzeilinger likes this.
  11. It's pretty much a tie for me except for one strike against cans: I feel they do affect the taste simply because when you sip from it your nose hits the can causing you to smell the metal and smell is a large factor in how we perceive tastes. It can also depend on the style of beer how much of a factor this is though. However, cans are a better vessel for transportation and are allowed in places where bottles aren't, so that evens it right back out. So I think there should be a third option to vote "Either."
  12. True that. The only can I've ever saved for my bottle collection is the Heady Topper can and I'm afraid it might get damaged, possibly crushed when I have to move.
  13. willbm3

Haha yea I figured that might be a little confusing. As a drinking vessel I would prefer to drink out of the bottle, but as a storage vessel I prefer a can. So if I'm buying a case of SNPA I'll always buy the pack of cans over bottles. I'll pour it into a glass at home, or just drink it out of the can if I'm tailgating or something.
  14. An empty bottle weighs 7.5 oz while an empty can weighs slightly over half an ounce. If we factor in how much transportation costs of each and how much fuel is used/wasted in the decision of one over the other. It's a bit of a no brainer. Can.
    Ford and Chinaskifan1 like this.
  15. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

Cans are more convenient and somehow just feel better in my hand than bottles do. Also, call me crazy, but sipping from a can somehow seems "less uncivilized" than swigging from a bottle. Just MHO.
  16. Either is fine with me, but I hold bottles to a higher social standard. Also the smell of the can metal changes the taste to me, but easily fixed when poured into a glass.
    Ford likes this.
  17. willbm3

It also requires significantly more energy to make a new can vis-a-vis a new bottle. But cans also recycle easier
    Ford likes this.
  18. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Initially was worried about the taste of the can, but Ska Modus Hoperandi
    settled any of my worries. I rarely drink any craft beer straight from the can or bottle.
  19. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Cans. I don't think it is possible to shotgun a bottle, but I could be wrong.
    trentbrown89 likes this.
  20. sendsilk

sendsilk Savant (490) Florida Aug 31, 2007

OP, why are you asking about DRINKING from the can or bottle? I would prefer to pour a can into my favorite glass or snifter.

The beer geek in me prefers bottles, they look more grand, have more weight to them and come in a variety of sizes/shapes, differentiating the different brewers and beers. They can be beautiful when waxed! Cans are pretty uniform in looks, but cans are better for storage. I try to recycle everything possible and cans are more easily recyclable, have less weight, take up less space both in storage and recycling bin/trash, and the guy that rummages through my recycling container somehow manages to make a living off of gathering mine and my neighbors aluminum cans, not the glass.
    dachshunddude86 likes this.
  21. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

You need a bendy straw. My 12 seconds on youtube didn't yield a satisfactory video or I'd post a link.
  22. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Content over container. I want good beer regardless of bottle or can.

I pour my beers when I am able so container does not often make much difference to me. If it comes to drinking from the container I lean slightly towards bottles but I will place emphasis on slightly.
    BetterBeerPlz and FosterJM like this.
  23. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (295) Michigan May 30, 2010

If I had to drink directly out of a container, I would choose bottle. I feel that the can has a bit of a smell to it which changes the flavor, although it could all just be in my head. If I were able to pour it in to a glass, it would not matter. I think that if I were to age a beer, I would also prefer glass.
  24. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Why isn't IV a choice?
    godlessape, Stevedore and seakayak like this.
  25. Alextricity

For the first time in my life, my choice has been the majority vote -- even though it isn't by much.

Looking for a few more opinions if I can get some.
  26. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I went bottle, because I like the look my neighbors give me when they hear the half dozen or so bottles clinking together in a garbage bag when I walk out to the dumpster.

Something between concern for my health and shame that they live near me.

Plus bottles don't rub into my nose in the rare occasion I drink from them as opposed to pouring into a glass. Silly, but it legitimately bothers me.
    mecummins likes this.
  27. well is this new sam adams can an option? from the sounds it i'll go with that. ;)
  28. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Glass or can. Doesn't matter, all goes in #properglassware anyway.

Cheers!
  29. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

The propaganda tell me I should like beer from a bottle more than beer from a glass, but the drunk in me says who gives a shit where it comes from as long as you can drink it...
  30. Probably cans. The votes are now even.
  31. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

cans. why. same. don't let your mind be your worst enemy and brainwash yourself. I've had beers that I like from the bottle done up in the can and still enjoyed it very much!
  32. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Alchemist says drink Heady right out of the can, no need to process anything beyond that. Cheers
    kneary13 likes this.
  33. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The Alchemist wants you drinking it from the can because it looks so bad. ( :p ) And when it comes to cans or longnecks, how many of us geeks actually admit to pouring either vessel in glassware - I know I do and agree with a few of the earlier posts (unless you're sitting around a swimming pool).
  34. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Can because the mouth drinks. With bottle, it feels like too much air goes in or you get too little fluid through without it flowing around the mouth.

Heady Topper and Ten Fidy have also helped me choose cans.

In the end, drink out of a glass. I want to see the smell and most important, get the aroma. Smell is a very important part of the limited idea of "taste" that most people have.
  35. You shouldn't be drinking out of either of them. In terms of what I prefer to buy, it is cans all day for all the right reasons. Beer needs to be drank out of a wide mouth glass to get the full affect. Bottles suck all around: light, weight, oxygen, less advertising real estate, recycling, the list goes on and on.
  36. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Everybody here pours their can or bottle into a glass. That being the case, I prefer cans because of the Eco friendliness, sunlight resistance, and the fact that they come in a pint.
  37. Bottles because of less spillage.
  38. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

it doesn't matter what the original container is because I will be drinking it from a glass anyway
    Revenant likes this.
  39. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

It still seems strange to me every time I pour a think black RIS out of a can, it like my mind tricks me into expecting Busch to come out.
  40. The skulls of mine enemies!
    godlessape likes this.