1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you tend to buy U.S. made beers or imports?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Dec 26, 2012.

?

Which do you buy more of: Domestic micros or imports?

1. U.S.A.

154 vote(s)
    93.9%
  2. Imports

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

99% USA

2. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I like Belgian beers for when I need a good sour - but from IPAs to Quads, to Imperial Stouts and Barleywines, the US market finally has its legs underneath it, for putting out some really creative and tasty beers.

3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Evolution of my focus on beer style over time:

Witbier (import)
    Blond (import)
    Dubbel, Tripel, Quad (mainly import, some US)
    Doppelbock, Eisbock, Maibock (some US, some import)
    Porter (some US, some import)
    Stout (mainly US, some import)
    Imperial Stout/Porter (mainly US, some import)

Don't get me wrong, I drink other styles at times (esp. to take a break from the jet black beers)

4. for me most imports arent worth the price.

~90% American

5. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I try to mix it up as much as possible but often for some reason I find myself buying more American these days.

6. JKAllen

JKAllen Aficionado (125) Sep 8, 2012

I have noticed a lot of people who talk as if they only drink from their home state, I guess I'm lucky to come from an area where it's not uncommon for a bar to have brews from the other side of the country as well as the other side of the Atlantic...

7. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

About 90% of my buys are USA beers. The other 10% comes from belgium dubbel/trippel/quads, samuel smith stouts, and the occasional doppelbock. American beers are usually fresher in my experience since they do not have to be shipped very far.

8. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

The mistake most people make when first starting out is assuming that all imported beer is either craft or "premium" beer. I is all about quality and across the board, Americans make more styles and have greater quality all things considered, from style to style. Of course Belgians make the best Quads, Tripels, Saisons, Lambics, etc. but they can't touch us on anything from IPAs, DIPAs, Stouts, etc.

9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

90% of the time I have a Great American Beer in my glass. I'm a hop head and we do hoppy beers better, and no other way to get them fresher than to get them made close to home. The day I can get a beer from Europe tastes better than Abrasive, Heady, Pliny, Flower Power, or Lunch, just as fresh, and at the same price or cheaper, that might change.

10. By far USA, but I do love me some Belgians.

11. By saying that I buy 75% Belgian, 10% Australian, 10% U.S., 5% Other.

I just prefer the Belgian styles over yet another big massive hoppy DIPA. However a Barrel Aged Stout or RIS always goes down very well.

12. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Never said I only drink beer from my home state...only that I could and still be very happy. Like you it is not uncommon for select bars around town to have beers from all over the country and world but tasty local brews as well....

13. I buy 95% American Craft Beer in a retail store. I'll stray once in a while and buy some Corona or Heineken Light for a hot summer day. When I am at a restaurant or a bar I will rarely turn down an offering from Chimay or Sam Smith if on a menu.

14. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Well then you aren't a person who "buys mostly US made beer."

15. I wish this poll was public so I could see who the 9 are that picked imports.

If you like fresh, hoppy beers the U.S. dominates the market. I know most people on here loves the loons but if I drank them every day my heartburn would burn through my chest. And Belgium ales? Sure the Belgian Ales like Chimay, Duvel, DT etc... are good but I'll take an American Old or Strong Ale over them every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

16. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

When I lived in Belgian, I drank mostly Belgiums.

Mothergoose03 and kingofhop like this.
  17. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I buy my share of English and German imports. For Belgian styles i normally go the Allagash, Ommegang, Unibroue route for cost purposes. 75% US I would say

18. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I only need to know 3 letters when I buy my beer.
    U-S-A!
    Seriously though, I look for imports that I want to try.
    If beer had the same market share that cars do I would find myself buying a lot more imports.

19. skcusab

skcusab Disciple (50) Dec 28, 2012

I tend to stick with local beers, supporting my local brewery and brewers.

20. I make it a point to buy my beer from independently owned American craft brewers. I love the scene and it's important to me to support it as much as I can.

21. There's enough beer here in SD to keep me local forever.

22. But you might get bored. ;)

23. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

It's usually a "best bang for the buck" when buying beers for me. There are times when I am craving something and if that's an import, I buy it. Love Belgian beers as well as a lot of German offerings, but American craft beers have come so far recently that typically I prefer them over imports.

24. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'd say it's 90% American and 10% imports (those mainly being from Belgium and the UK.) Of the domestic percentage, I'd say at least 75% of those are local craft beers. But I'm lucky to live in a city where our craft brewery scene is expanding like crazy. There are always going to be certain imports that I love, but with so many options right in my own backyard to try, my focus is usually local.

25. Michigan has some top breweries...Founders, Jolly, Bells

26. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (420) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

90% local Midwest beers plus some Stone Brewing and Samuel Smith's.

27. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

German & Belgians receive most of my money. And many of their styles are not done anywhere near as well in the U.S., for most breweries that attempt them.

Traditional styles, not "innovations".

For example, right now I'm enjoying a Korbinian Doppelbock. I love German doppelbocks.

I do not want a doppelbock made with Birch syrup.
    I do not want a doppelbock made with Lapsang Souchong tea.
    I do not want a doppelbock made with Mexican chocolate.
    I do not want a doppelbock made with maple.
    I do not want a doppelbock made with cherry & oak.
    I do not want a doppelbock aged in a brandy barrel.
    I do not want a doppelbock aged in a bourbon barrel.

I do not want these "innovations". If it isn't better than Ayinger Celebrator, Weihenstephaner Korbinian, etc. then I'm not buying it regularly.

TongoRad likes this.
  28. i buy far more US Crafts, but i still buy alot of Belgian brews and German brews

yemenmocha likes this.
  29. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

usa.....usa.....usa.....usa.......usa!

30. I drink a hell of a lot of German and Belgian beer because nothing else satisfies when I want those styles; and being in the NYC area we tend to get reasonably fresh examples. That being said, I also really enjoy and believe in the styles that Americans do well, and have been thoroughly digging this ride for the past few decades. The way the question is worded, I would have to say American beers are the majority of what I buy (maybe in the 60-70% range), but that's just personal preference.

yemenmocha likes this.
  31. Can't answer the survey directly since I am probably 50-50. Love Belgian styles so I buy a lot of imports. Would love to find cheaper American Belgian styles to save the dollars.

32. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

90% American with 9% Belgian and 1% everything else

33. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

I usually buy import beers, but not for lack of good American beers. I just want to see what other countries are brewing...

34. LittleDon

LittleDon Savant (480) Texas Feb 16, 2009

For those of us who are a bit older, it wasn't that long ago that imports to the US were unquestionably better.

About 95% of the time I drink local or regional, whether it's at home or on the road.

35. The only foriegn beer that I seek out is Sam Smith. Mikkeller interests me but it on the pricy side so I have passed it up to this point.

36. I buy Trappist Ales at retail stores and German/European beers on tap. 99% of the beer i drink is brewed in the USA.

37. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Domestic, however I have to say I'd like to buy more imports but it seems in the last decade U S craft has pushed out a lot of the smaller & non-conglomerate owned brewers. Which is a shame.

38. U.S. made beers are import for me.

About 60 % domestic – 40 % foreign because they make a bunch of styles well that Belgium doesn’t really make & I like drinking those as well.

39. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Schooled my taste buds too, but really got to look to find places that stock the better stuff, craft has claimed some serious shelf space.