1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Do you think old ipa's can be good?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by DarkDragon999, Jun 8, 2013.

1. I know the general consensus is old ipa = bad but I just had an ipa that was bottled Sept '12 and it tasted fine to me. Granted I'm not an ipa expert but I tasted the hops and it didnt seem like they had faded.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. Brodie91

Brodie91 Initiate (0) New York Jul 13, 2012

Absolutely. Hops will definitely fade with time but the beer will still be fine.

devlishdamsel likes this.
  3. HighWine

HighWine Savant (375) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

I think you answered your own question.

mcrago and Roguer like this.
  4. I think the general idea is that the hops will fade to the point where your money will be better spent on a fresher one, even if it's by a different brewer. But, if someone was to put one in my hand that was 9 months old I'd still be able to get some enjoyment out of it and there would still be some hop character left. I guess 'bad' is just a relative term with these things.

5. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I think if you like malty brews an older IPA would be just that.

6. I don't think 9 months makes it "old", just not fresh. The flavor profile will change, with hops fading and malt flavors coming forward. If you hate that, then yes it's bad. If you like it, it's good. I'm aging a couple 120's because I love the malt in that beer.

dianimal likes this.
  7. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

If the beer is squarely and solely designed around the hops, then it's going to be no good when it's older. If it has a decent malt backbone, you're probably still gold. You'd likely be looking at DIPA or TIPA then mind, since I don't know a whole lot of brewers that can balance the malts off well at lower ABV. I find that people overuse the term "balance" in the IPA world as a euphemism for "bland".

8. Yes, You're totally right.

When I use balance for an IPA/DIPA I mean the malt can carry the hops. I love when a nice sweet malt blends the citrusy flavor. MMMM it's like hoppy beer candy. See: Cisco Island Reserve Double India Pale Ale

That beer deserves so much attention that it isn't getting.

9. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Hey sure, it exists. It's why Heady Topper does it for me. Not just fruity juicy hops, but a nice kick of sweet malts that carry it.

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  10. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (375) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Most all beers are good. Just some beers are better fresh than after a few months. Some are better with age. In general, drink an IPA young, but an old IPA is still not necessarily a "bad" beer.

surfcaster and Roguer like this.
  11. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

How many times do we have to go over this topic? IPA's are notorious for rapid flavor deterioration. If they are not consumed within the freshness window of approximately 45 minutes of the time of packaging, you are dealing with a malt bomb at best, and an awful drainpour at worst.

12. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

I opened up an 8 day old Enjoy By last night. Clearly it had gone over the cliff and was no longer fresh. I had no option except pouring it down the drain.

13. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

Yeah, I drink 3 week old IPAs on the regular.

14. KS1297

Don't dwell on it man. You had to do what you had to do.

15. jman005

jman005 Advocate (505) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

I personally dislike old IPA, but maybe it is just because I love tasting the hops. Old IPAs just taste like malt bombs.

creal92 likes this.
  16. Roguer

Roguer Champion (950) Connecticut Mar 25, 2013

Good? Of course. As intended? Maybe not. It depends on just how hoppy it was to begin with.

Classic example: take an aged Belgian strong ale or Tripel. These are beers that can have notable hop profiles 1 or 2 years after bottling. Sure, they're nothing like an IPA, but if the hops still stand out after a year, and you still enjoy it, then there really isn't a question about whether or not they "could" still be good.

Since taste is subjective, you might even find you prefer "aged" IPAs. I doubt it (and I'm not going to start cellaring DIPAs), but you never know. It WILL change, and maybe you'll find it about the same level of enjoyment, or better, or worse.

Tangentially: I just bought some Double Trouble that's about 2 months old. I expect it to still be really, really good, even if I'd prefer it to be fresher.

utopiajane likes this.
  17. Rohkey

Rohkey Savant (350) Michigan Jan 13, 2013

Had a Duvel Tripel Hop from 2012 earlier in the month, tasted fine to me :p

Roguer likes this.
  18. KS1297

three weeks old huh? so basically you prever barleywines? :D

jmgrub likes this.
  19. Sure they can.

20. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

It's really sad that no-one makes an authentic IPA any more. Bottled Bass was aged for more than 12 months in the 19th century.

infuturity83 and PaulyB83 like this.
  21. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Can they be good? Sure. Personally, I'm skeptical that a nine month old IPA wouldn't suffer from any faded or subdued characteristics. If the beer in question is one that's released regularly, I'd suggest drinking a relatively fresh one in the same sitting as a nine month old bottle to see if your opinion remains the same. But again, "faded" and "bad" are two different things.

22. Apparently they now have to be drunk two days before they are brewed :)

alucard6679 and Oisin like this.
  23. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (725) California Dec 15, 2012

One time I misplaced a bottle of AleSmith IPA with other bottles I was aging. When I discovered my mistake, I found that it was over 6 months past the enjoy by date on the bottle. I thought it was going to be horrible. It wasn't bad at all.

24. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (525) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

I've got some Zombie Dust aging away in my tall ship was we speak. Just hope the crew can make it through the winter.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  25. A buddy of mine found a keg of Founders Harvest ale that was 6 mos old that had been misplaced among some stouts he was holding on to. It was tragic. At a beer fest, he brought two awesome special beers and was asked to bring a "mystery beer." He would never sell the Harvest so he put it out as "mystery." It wasn't the bright magical beer we are enjoying now but almost everyone really liked it. This beer should probably be the least likely IPA to have much left in it a year later.

I love fresh IPAs and am glad that reputable businesses strive for a fresh selection but we make to much about it here.

26. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Depends on the IPA I think. I've had 3 month old HT that was as good as the day it was canned, and two month old Flower Power that was disgusting. Style counts I think, light fruity grapefruit bombs seem to fade faster, maybe even down to the individual hops.

papat444 likes this.
  27. I actually like DIPAs with a little age on them. Satisfies my sweet tooth!

28. I think Worthington's White Shield is better when it's been around for a few months. You can age it for long periods as well, but I've not done that.

29. I just drank a Mikkeller single hop simcoe and their 10 hop IPAs the other day with a bottling date on the cap to be sometime in March of 2012. Wasn't incredibly impressed with the taste. both tasted somewhat the same, with large malt characters and very little hops aroma and taste.

30. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I think at least part of the whole "fresh is the only option" mentality is a psychological reaction to spending way too much time on the BA forums. There was a time when I paid no attention whatsoever to when an IPA was brewed, and I enjoyed the hell out of all of them. Now I find myself checking every bottle when I shop, and occasionally I wonder why the hell I even bother when I got so much enjoyment out of it before I decided that it was a big deal. Oh well, I'm drinking a Union Jack that was bottled 3 weeks ago and its pretty legit, cheers

31. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

Some - had a New Glarus IIPA last night that was bottled in April that tastes fantastic.

32. Had a couple of Hopslam and Sucks sitting in the fridge for a good six months . . . still tasted good. I guess it depends on where and how you keep 'em.

33. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

No, they cannot. :D

34. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

Every beer and every palate is different. Not being a hop head, I love Hopslam at 1.5 years and Maharaja at 2+ years. They turn into gold, but I can see where a fresher hopped, lower ABV beer would fall apart. Interestingly enough I did a Weyerbacher anniversary vertical not long ago, their Eleven, a triple IPA going on eight years old was astrigent and bitter like nothing else I've ever had. It got poured after 2ozs. The hops definitely held up pretty well in that bottle.

35. Every beer is a little different, but I think it's pretty common for a DIPA / imperial IPA to be at it's technical peak at the 3 - 6 week mark, because like a stew or soup, a little time for the ingredients to mingle can help.

The thing about drinking "old" IPA's is that it may be a good or ho-hum experience depending on what else the beer has to offer - if it's got some nice malts going on, it will probably be super tasty. If not, it might be kinda boring. I'm thinking of Dogfish Head Burton Baton, which is more or less an IPA and is great for aging.