1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Does anyone know/seen Heatwave33

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SpeedwayJim, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I've been trying to get in contact with him for a couple of weeks now through both PM and his email address. Guy seems to have dropped off the map (no BA activity). Do any Florida BA's know him and know what might be going on?

2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Please let me know if you happen to find him.

Edit: I noticed something that he posted about not having internet around the beginning of the year.

3. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I'm interested in his status as well. Hope he's doing ok, but communication is key.

4. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Last I heard, he's personally doing fine, but he's taken a step back from his formerly high level of beer-related activity. I'll ask VnCENTLIFE to chime in.

5. gpawned

Cold turkey is rough. Someone get that guy a beer.

6. Some BAs have been asking me how Stephen is doing since he hasnt been on in a long time. I communicate with him on a regular basis on facebook and texting, so I havent lost contact with him.

He had a string of really, seriously bad luck with his car after his wedding. He was working 20 hours per week overtime just to pay the bills. His trading and drinking are damn near gone; hes scrapping up bits of money so he can still go to Hunahpu Day.

And lastly, he told me this morning that he doesnt have internet (well its really spotty) at his place and none at work.

If you have any questions for him, let me know.

Thanks guys.

gpawned likes this.
  7. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I never communicated with him but I do remember him being quite active. Unless he owes a bunch of BA's beers that he hasn't kept in contact with it sounds like someone could use a "care package".

8. SpeedwayJim

Unfortunately, he does owe a bunch of BA's beer and he hasn't been communicating... which is why I put this thread out there. It's been about 2 weeks for me personally (as part of a BIF) so part of me wants to give him a bit more time given the situation he might be in.

Though... at the same time, VncentLIFE mentioned that he's trying to scrap money together so he can still go to Hunahpu's day... which rubs me the wrong way a bit since he should probably take care of his outstanding boxes first.

9. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Bummer to hear and understood. Thanks for some clarification.

10. gpawned

I spoke to VncentLIFE about the box that Stephen owes me for the Fantasy Football Survivor league we were in. Heatwave replied through VncentLIFE that he would send out a box as soon as he could get the money together. I'm in no hurry and am willing to take him at his word.

11. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Life is rough for a lot of people and shit happens to everyone.

Seems crazy to me that going on a trip to buy limited beer is more important to taking care of debts even if they are on the interwebs.

Trading is the only part of the site where people can actually get hurt financially, yet more focus is spent on cracking down on thread shitters than calling a spade a spade in the trade forum.

I do not think you can truly tell if someone is a good trader or not until they go through an issue with life and you get to see the choices they make. I have made an addition to my do not trade list.

FYI, I had a tree fall on my car at midnight one night doing significant damage, my grandfather died the next morning, and I needed to get a box out.

I got the box out. Not because I am crazy and taking this beer thing too seriously, but because it was a debt I owed and I honored it even though there were going to be significant expenses on the horizon.

12. I was all about this.

Until I read this.

Unfortunate.

cfh64 likes this.
  13. SpeedwayJim

To be completely fair, Stephen has reached out and rehashed that he's in a bit of a bind right now. All I needed was a bit of communication and a reassurance. I'm willing to give this a touch more time.

14. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

So he can save $ for hunahpu day but can't scrounge up enough to ship a box?

And how does he use Facebook regularly without any internet access???

15. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Who was the guy who vouched for this guy when he set up an LIF for Apple-Brandy BA Huna, and then claimed all four of his bottles "exploded" (one in his hand I believe..... can't make this stuff up, or... I mean... can you?)

He ultimately sent something else to the winner. He flaked on trades for it, then LIF'd it, etc... caused red-flags for me. As an ultimate "see I told you so" he posted pictures of him holding broken 32oz growlers with black liquid on the ground. It was in a garage, and since he said it exploded on his shelf, I'd like to know how many people cellar/keep their beer in garages in Florida? HMMMM

Either way, perhaps I'm wrong again, or right all along. If he's going through some bad times, that sucks, but going through hard times etc, and then trying to 'scrape together money for Hunaphu day' is pretty silly, and out-right dickish if you know you owe boxes in multiple trades/BIFs etc.

Someone sends out a great box or two, develops some "BA points" for 'supposedly' LIFing a highly sought out beer, etc, and next thing you know, people defend him despite the obvious lack of communication, missed deadlines, no box, etc.

Mikesgroove 2.0 if you wait too long, and if you point out the obvious early, he could make right, and then get defensive and tell me what an A-hole I am..... if that's what it takes for him to make right, then I'll take the A-hole role on this one.

16. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Take it easy bro. It hasn't even been 6 months yet.

17. Patrick

As one of the people he owes beer to, I'm cool with him getting his stuff straightened out before he ships to me. I also hope he has fun at Hunaphu day. I haven't been waiting that long so it's not too big of a deal, and I'm not out any beer since he owes me for a BIF.

18. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

I wasn't aware this was how it worked. I'm going to have to join a bunch of those BIF things.

JxExM, JohnB87, VncentLIFE and 16 others like this.
  19. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

Fair enough - it's super cool of you to be so understanding. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that this person isn't honoring his trades/BIFs b/c of apparent financial stress, but that's not stopping him from attending brewery anniversary parties and saving up $$$ for Hunahpu day...

I'm not one of the people getting shafted here so it doesn't affect me in the end, but I just think its a bit shady... Hopefully dude gets his shit together and takes care of stuff here.

M1A2, FTowne and ehammond1 like this.
  20. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I had this guy in my 2012 Dead Pool. What do I win, Levitation?

(he logged in this morning....)

Levitation and Bad_Trader like this.
  21. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Of course the people he owes beer to do not want to bash him too badly...

There are plenty of "I would have sent when I could, but you were being an ass" replies we have seen over the years.

BA Stubone RIP did that to me when I outed him several years ago.

That is why others need to chime in :)

jrnyc, Levitation and Bad_Trader like this.
  22. Jparkanzky

23. So how many does he owe beer to? So far I count Patrick, gpawned and me(SpeedwayJim started this thread because of the box he owes me from the league Jim ran).

While at first I would have said the same thing as the others he owes it is getting a little fishy with the number of commitments. Also I hope if he has the money for Hunahpu day he first sends out what he owes.

24. Patrick

lol I like how snarky that was. In my experience with fantasy BIFs the winner doesn't have to ship. Heatwave33's box was 1 of 5 I was supposed to get.

25. Patrick

I hear what you are saying, but he was active all season/ a good owner as far as I could tell. I'm not sure he will be invited back next year, but I am not commish. If I was out beer, this would be a different sort of thread. It sounds like Heatwave33 is just really bad at fantasy sports and is now in over his head (with the help of real life stuff).

flexabull and gpawned like this.
  26. Bluecane

Heatwave shared a BA Huna growler with me and several others at some point this summer. I have no idea whether it was before or after any of that stuff, nor was I aware of that stuff at the time. In any case, I believe I saw the exploded growlers, and I definitely believe him on that.

I can't speak to all the other ostensible inconsistencies you have found, but that's my experience with Heatwave, personally.

27. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

He owes me a box as well from a fantasy FB league he started. I'm in no rush, I just hope he follows through.

gpawned likes this.
  28. gpawned

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he means he knows him personally enough that he speaks to him on facebook (when he has internet...not at this moment while he doesn't) in order to establish that they have a friendship outside of BA

If his trading and drinking are damn near gone...that makes me think he drank through most/all of his cellar.

His wanting to go to Huna Day is perfectly reasonable...especially if he's grabbing bottles for his outstanding debts.

Most of these BIF boxes are still fairly recent debts and he's said he'll make good, seems worth giving him a little time.

In the meanwhile, certainly seems like someone no one should trade with until things get settled up. If he makes good in a reasonable amount of time, I certainly wouldn't hold this against him.

29. My personal idea is he went balls deep in trading, then alot of stuff happened really quick. Theres wasnt any deceleration, just an instant drop off before he cleared it up. Not saying he should be excused, just a thought.

He sent me a picture of the exploded growlers right after it happened before he posted it on here. As Ive said before, one of those bottles was mine.

30. Patrick

Did anyone else notice he asked for homebrewing advice on Monday? I still haven't heard from him otherwise, and that's interesting to say the least.

flexabull likes this.
  31. Jparkanzky

Everyone keeps defending Mikesgroove Heatwave33, despite the obvious writing on the wall..... strange.

yamar68 and Photekut like this.
  32. Patrick

Is he mikesgroove?

33. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

I'm always looking for more people to add to my watch list. These are usually the best threads to find folks.

Photekut likes this.
  34. Wow. If he can afford 5 pounds of DME he can afford to send the box he owes me.

35. I understand life gets in the way of beer trading and BIFs. But I think he needs to pay up what he owes (to what sounds like quite a few people) before he goes to beer events, homebrews, etc...

I hope he does make it right with everyone, but I'm getting more and more skeptical.

36. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

As one of the people he owes beer too (One of the Apple Brandy Hunas) I've been patient and have heard he's been having life problems.

Communication was good up until a few months ago, when it seemed like he lost all communication especially with the Fantasy Football he was hosting. I'm hopeful he'll still be good on his side or he can atleast send me back some of the bottles I sent.

37. That glass in the avatar is half full then...

Scotchboy and gpawned like this.
  38. Bluecane

Mr. Heatwave33 was active this evening, so hopefully he has something to say.

39. Doubt it

40. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

bad trader list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.