1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Does anyone know/seen Heatwave33

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by SpeedwayJim, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Pooh-Bah (2,753) Jun 19, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've been trying to get in contact with him for a couple of weeks now through both PM and his email address. Guy seems to have dropped off the map (no BA activity). Do any Florida BA's know him and know what might be going on?

2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Illinois

Please let me know if you happen to find him.

Edit: I noticed something that he posted about not having internet around the beginning of the year.

3. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I'm interested in his status as well. Hope he's doing ok, but communication is key.

4. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Last I heard, he's personally doing fine, but he's taken a step back from his formerly high level of beer-related activity. I'll ask VnCENTLIFE to chime in.

5. gpawned

Cold turkey is rough. Someone get that guy a beer.

6. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

Some BAs have been asking me how Stephen is doing since he hasnt been on in a long time. I communicate with him on a regular basis on facebook and texting, so I havent lost contact with him.

He had a string of really, seriously bad luck with his car after his wedding. He was working 20 hours per week overtime just to pay the bills. His trading and drinking are damn near gone; hes scrapping up bits of money so he can still go to Hunahpu Day.

And lastly, he told me this morning that he doesnt have internet (well its really spotty) at his place and none at work.

If you have any questions for him, let me know.

Thanks guys.

gpawned likes this.
  7. cfh64

cfh64 Pooh-Bah (1,996) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I never communicated with him but I do remember him being quite active. Unless he owes a bunch of BA's beers that he hasn't kept in contact with it sounds like someone could use a "care package".

8. SpeedwayJim

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Unfortunately, he does owe a bunch of BA's beer and he hasn't been communicating... which is why I put this thread out there. It's been about 2 weeks for me personally (as part of a BIF) so part of me wants to give him a bit more time given the situation he might be in.

Though... at the same time, VncentLIFE mentioned that he's trying to scrap money together so he can still go to Hunahpu's day... which rubs me the wrong way a bit since he should probably take care of his outstanding boxes first.

9. cfh64

cfh64 Pooh-Bah (1,996) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Bummer to hear and understood. Thanks for some clarification.

10. gpawned

I spoke to VncentLIFE about the box that Stephen owes me for the Fantasy Football Survivor league we were in. Heatwave replied through VncentLIFE that he would send out a box as soon as he could get the money together. I'm in no hurry and am willing to take him at his word.

11. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

Life is rough for a lot of people and shit happens to everyone.

Seems crazy to me that going on a trip to buy limited beer is more important to taking care of debts even if they are on the interwebs.

Trading is the only part of the site where people can actually get hurt financially, yet more focus is spent on cracking down on thread shitters than calling a spade a spade in the trade forum.

I do not think you can truly tell if someone is a good trader or not until they go through an issue with life and you get to see the choices they make. I have made an addition to my do not trade list.

FYI, I had a tree fall on my car at midnight one night doing significant damage, my grandfather died the next morning, and I needed to get a box out.

I got the box out. Not because I am crazy and taking this beer thing too seriously, but because it was a debt I owed and I honored it even though there were going to be significant expenses on the horizon.

12. bryanole27

bryanole27 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2011 North Carolina

I was all about this.

Until I read this.

Unfortunate.

cfh64 likes this.
  13. SpeedwayJim

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

To be completely fair, Stephen has reached out and rehashed that he's in a bit of a bind right now. All I needed was a bit of communication and a reassurance. I'm willing to give this a touch more time.

14. thetomG

thetomG Savant (1,051) Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

So he can save $ for hunahpu day but can't scrounge up enough to ship a box?

And how does he use Facebook regularly without any internet access???

15. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

Who was the guy who vouched for this guy when he set up an LIF for Apple-Brandy BA Huna, and then claimed all four of his bottles "exploded" (one in his hand I believe..... can't make this stuff up, or... I mean... can you?)

He ultimately sent something else to the winner. He flaked on trades for it, then LIF'd it, etc... caused red-flags for me. As an ultimate "see I told you so" he posted pictures of him holding broken 32oz growlers with black liquid on the ground. It was in a garage, and since he said it exploded on his shelf, I'd like to know how many people cellar/keep their beer in garages in Florida? HMMMM

Either way, perhaps I'm wrong again, or right all along. If he's going through some bad times, that sucks, but going through hard times etc, and then trying to 'scrape together money for Hunaphu day' is pretty silly, and out-right dickish if you know you owe boxes in multiple trades/BIFs etc.

Someone sends out a great box or two, develops some "BA points" for 'supposedly' LIFing a highly sought out beer, etc, and next thing you know, people defend him despite the obvious lack of communication, missed deadlines, no box, etc.

Mikesgroove 2.0 if you wait too long, and if you point out the obvious early, he could make right, and then get defensive and tell me what an A-hole I am..... if that's what it takes for him to make right, then I'll take the A-hole role on this one.

16. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

Take it easy bro. It hasn't even been 6 months yet.

17. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

As one of the people he owes beer to, I'm cool with him getting his stuff straightened out before he ships to me. I also hope he has fun at Hunaphu day. I haven't been waiting that long so it's not too big of a deal, and I'm not out any beer since he owes me for a BIF.

18. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

I wasn't aware this was how it worked. I'm going to have to join a bunch of those BIF things.

JxExM, JohnB87, VncentLIFE and 16 others like this.
  19. thetomG

thetomG Savant (1,051) Feb 17, 2010 Illinois

Fair enough - it's super cool of you to be so understanding. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that this person isn't honoring his trades/BIFs b/c of apparent financial stress, but that's not stopping him from attending brewery anniversary parties and saving up $$$ for Hunahpu day...

I'm not one of the people getting shafted here so it doesn't affect me in the end, but I just think its a bit shady... Hopefully dude gets his shit together and takes care of stuff here.

M1A2, FTowne and ehammond1 like this.
  20. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2009 Washington

I had this guy in my 2012 Dead Pool. What do I win, Levitation?

(he logged in this morning....)

Levitation and Bad_Trader like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.