1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Does it matter who owns the brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jazzmac, Feb 14, 2013.

1. biercycle

biercycle Member

I agree that supporting the larger corporations (that have already been mentioned here many times) in any capacity could be seen as betraying the true craft beer scene. However, taking Goose Island as the primary example, your local bar/bottleshop/distributor has already spent the money purchasing their inventory so buying it from the local establishment is giving your money to that establishment that you like/support. I wont deny that the argument can be made that doing so is indirectly supporting the larger unfavorable companies.
  2. Focusf111

Focusf111 Member

Suicide HOPbomber. So fresh it'll blow you away! Coming to a remote cave near you soon!
    evilc likes this.
  3. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Member

At one time yeah. I remember Red Hook being a big deal back inthe 90s.

And Widmer has lots of history too.

Interesting that you dont think they are any more. Does that say something about the AB ownership?
  4. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Member

IIRC, the two brothers distributorship has different ownership due to Illinois law. I think its their wives that own the distribution company.
  5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Member

That is one way around those laws. There is a couple in SE MI that has one owning the brewpub, and the other owns the production brewery.