1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Does using the "wrong glass" pose any issues?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Murderchase, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Murderchase

Murderchase Disciple (55) Indiana Jan 10, 2011

People always have ideal glass type:beer type pairings. Obviously the consensus on Belgians is that they go in tulip glasses, a German style lager would generally go in some kind of slender Pilsner glass, so on and so forth. I never hear much discussion about using the wrong glass though. Are there any glass/beer type pairings that are regarded as actually being inappropriate together? As if putting a Barleywine in a big Wheat glass could skew your experience with the style (just a hypothetical example)? In the case of IPAs, there's not really one specific glass they're supposed to go in. Tall, skinny Pilsner glasses have become one of my favorites for American IPAs, even though very few would regard them as appropriate together.
  2. emyers

emyers Savant (255) Illinois Jan 11, 2009

Well, I'm sure you'll have some people tell you that it makes a huge difference and you'll suffer endlessly if you put your barleywine in pilsner glass.

The size/shape of the glass will effect the size of the head on the beer, and since the head traps various aromatic components and smell plays a huge factor in taste, the type of glass can theoretically have some effect on how you taste the beer. Now, will this effect be large enough alter your enjoyment of said beer? I personally doubt it.

I ultimately pick glassware based on which glassware I like, which leads to me drinking 90% of my beers out of my Founders snifter.
  3. Other than have other BA's scoff at you. Not really.
  4. "Issues"? No.
  5. MgFalcon

MgFalcon Aspirant (35) Dec 5, 2012

Really for any beer I like to drink I pour it into a stein I purchased in Germany. I've never really been picky with glassware, however one of my previous employers (Meadhall in Cambridge, MA) has a glass for each beer they have on tap (100). Best thing to honestly do is find a glass you like, it's the personal sentimentality that you put into an object like this; for me it's my stein, the new years challis Meadhall gave me last year, and my actual pint glass (a real 16oz glass).

As for the having a wrong type of glass... well I would say anything with a label of "bud light" or [insert generic piss water] would be the real "wrong beer glass."
  6. basscram

basscram Savant (355) Florida Mar 29, 2006

If you put it in it's respective glass it will look purdy! Oh, I like how wheat beers are served in tall glasses but if served in a 2 litre mug style glass it seems to taste WAY better or is that just because its much more of a volume and I'm getting buzzed pretty good. It's presentation. wine served in mugs seems backwoods but served in a long stemmed glass it seems to be more upscale. Taste will be the same no matter the glassware choice.
  7. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Certain ones maybe. I prefer most in a snifter, but that just how I enjoy it.
  8. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

People say the same thing about wine and like most here have said, it may make a small difference but certainly nothing that will make a good beer, bad. Is some of it mental as well? Most likely. Now saying that, these glasses are only a couple of bucks so if it enhances the overall experience by even 5%, then I would spend the $10 to have a couple of different glasses to experiment with. Just my opinion.
  9. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I asked my butler to fetch me a glass of my 20 Year old Gueuze. He has the nerve to come back with it in a snifter instead of a flute in front of my dinner guests no less. Needless to say I had to drain pour it and fire him and I think everyone would agree it was the appropriate reaction to such insolence.
  10. breugal

breugal Initiate (15) Dec 18, 2012

I haven't noticed huge differences but i found it interesting that the aromatics change in different glasses. On beer night, my girlfriend and I will try the same beer in different glasses. There is a noticeable difference in the two glasses(challice/tulip). Desperate enough to dull the beer's impact on the palate, in some cases. Is it a big deal? No. But it is interesting.
  11. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I don't think it would have any kind of detrimental effect. I drink basically everything out of this glass

[​IMG]

or this glass

[​IMG]

Or this glass

[​IMG]

Soooo... basically one style of glass lol
  12. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Duvel Tulips are my go to for about 90% of the beers I drink. I have near all the artist series and the standard one for when I have company. Near about a perfect glass if you ask me. I use CCB Hunahpu snifter for the BA beers and my precious Cantillon long stemmed tulips for my gueuze. Really though, so long as the glass allows you to enjoy the beers taste, smell and appearance, go for it.
    gshak and jRocco2021 like this.
  13. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Never has a more true statement been posted on BA. It's really the only glass I use with few exceptions. Besides novelty or volume there is absolutely no reason to use anything else. Honestly I think its like how On Top Gear (BBC version) they say you can't really be a gear head if you've never owned a Alpha Romeo I think the same holds true for BA's. How can your really be a BA if you've never owned a Duvel glass. I supposed I could have said something like this before in an effort to be helpful instead being a smart ass. Maybe next time I'll try that.....but probably not.
  14. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

I was recently in Akron Canton, OH airport and the Great Lakes Brewery has a bar there. I noticed they had Christmas Ale on tap so I asked the waitress for a glass. She asked me if I wanted a "tall" or "short". In Chicago, I am served Christmas Ale in a snifter or tulip. I asked her what the difference was between a tall and short. She said the short is a pint glass and the tall is a 24oz mug.

"Miss, I'll have the Christmas Ale in a tall glass, please."​
    To hell with the appropriate glassware.​
  15. huysmans

huysmans Savant (320) New Jersey Dec 5, 2007

Duvel tulip for almost everything I drink. The one thing I do care about is how clean it is. Any bits of oils and fats will destroy your head. So I make sure it is absolutely spotless and dry before every pour.
    Momar42 likes this.
  16. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

The wrong glassware has never stopped me before.
  17. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I have done quite a few side by sides with different glasses with shared bottles, and I noticed a least some kind of difference every time. Either one glass has the better head retention, or one even has more perceptible hoppiness. I don't really think of this in terms of one glass one style, but it's fun to experiment. I believe that good glasses DO matter, and an improperly poured beer can hurt the experience of tasting.
    skinsfan likes this.
  18. WebGuyMike

WebGuyMike Savant (395) Florida Dec 5, 2012

I find that certain shaped glasses will mute the bitterness/hoppiness of IIPAs like DFH 90 minute. Some people like that fact while others find it a detriment to their enjoyment of the style.

Take that for what its worth. Your mileage may vary.
  19. Phenomenal avatar.
    UnderJoath likes this.
  20. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (455) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Dirty frosted Oktoberfest steins for gueuze and lambics are ideal. Other than that stick to clean tulips for all or else appropriate to style glassware. Enjoyment is maximized this way.
  21. I mean, certain glasses are ideal for certain beers. There are extreme examples that might hinder the experience. You don't want to put your Bruery Black Tuesday in a Pilsner glass, it just won't do the beer justice. But aside from that, you're fine.
  22. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

As long as the glass doesn't leak beer, it's not the wrong glass;) Really though, I usually use a shaker pint for everything. But I do enjoy using specialty glasses for each beer style when I can.
    Uniobrew31 likes this.
  23. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Ill be the devils advocate. Im the glasswhore here I guess. Its getting a bit worse. Either with proper style of glass and labeled from that brewery. I find that when the brewer says what type of glass to use. I listen.

However, "to each there own"

Cheers!
    Docrock likes this.
  24. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Shhh! If anyone on here catches you drinking a beer out of the wrong glass then you'll be banned from BA
    AndrewBV likes this.
  25. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I was once served a $4 full pour of La Folie in a pint glass at the Falling Rock. I was so mad I declared it to be the best day ever.
    Jules11788 and Uniobrew31 like this.
  26. Momar42

Can't agree more. I use a dedicated baby bottle sponge/wand/thingy to clean all my glasses with a little mild soap then dry in the drain. Anal maybe, but it works for me :).
  27. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

In my experience, switching to drinking from the bottle or can to drinking from a glass makes a huge difference, and switching to the recommended glass from an all-purpose nonic or tulip makes little or no difference.
  28. Momar42

I do personally hate ordering a German hefe at "beer" bars and having it show up in a standard pint glass. That beer just doesn't resonate as well with me in anything other than the tall hefe glasses. And FFS do NOT assume I want a slice of lemon or other citrus product in my beer thank you.

Oh and the looks I get when I ask them for a NON-frosted glass. Hate that too.
    mjtierney2 likes this.
  29. newbrew

newbrew Zealot (90) Missouri Jun 7, 2012

I don't think it makes a big enough difference to matter, I have a collection of nice pint glasses, and I use them for just about every beer I drink, and guess what? It still tastes AMAZING
  30. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

31. Higy

Higy Aficionado (235) Indiana Feb 9, 2012

the only wrong glass is the bottle or can in which you bought it. always pour it into some sort of vessel. This allows for a better experience of the drink. The beer will "breathe" - release some of the carbonation, open the aroma, and in the glass you can breathe in the drink while sipping.

when in doubt I use a tulip or a wine glass.
  32. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,000) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

certain glasses will enhance your experience.. unfortunatly collecting glassware sure takes up lots of shelf space.

The best one to use is the one you really enjoy the most. For me I have several... like beer cant stop at just one ;)
  33. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Does anyone remember that thread a while back where a guy was in a panic over pouring his barrel aged stout in the wrong glass? I would still love to know if he was actually serious about that.
  34. Years ago when my brother in law still drank and my father was alive we did tastings with a ton of different beer. We got the smart idea to get a case of kolsch glasses from Lee Valley so that more glasses would be able to be put on the coffee table. We quickly realized that the thin narrow Kolsch glasses killed the flavours on most beers. I still have that case of glasses in the basement and when I want a Kolsch I use a Pilsner glass .
  35. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I feel guilty when I use a glass other than the one the bottle tells me to use. But only for a second. :eek:
  36. I don't remember that. I do remember a thread about bringing your own glassware the a party/BBQ.
    Momar42 and DonDirkA like this.
  37. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (400) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Which I do... man, I'm a nerd..
    Momar42 likes this.
  38. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

I always drink my Cantillion straight out the bottle.:eek: hey, it's already in a glass! fuckin A right!
    DonDirkA likes this.