1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Does using the "wrong glass" pose any issues?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Murderchase, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

It was shut down because people were telling him the only way he could atone for such a sin is to commit ritual beer suicide and things along those lines. It was a very entertaining read while it was around.
  2. I have a few favorite glasses that i use. In my mind a Tulip can be a great glass for any brew almost. Only thing I don't like out of a tulip is a kolsch or lager. Since those aren't my favorite styles I don't have to worry about it much!
  3. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

I have to place myself in that column too, though I typically bring beers along with the glasses to share so at least I'm a well prepared generous nerd?
    ThisWangsChung likes this.
  4. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

mason jar FTW!

seriously...
    cavedave likes this.
  5. if you do a side-by-side tasting of the same beer in two significantly different glasses, you'll probably see that it does make a difference, but if you don't care enough to always use the right glassware then no one's going to hang you for it.
  6. I'll typically drink almost everything out of a tulip glass or something similar. The only beers I don't drink out of a tulip are beers that I don't really care to think much about.
  7. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (265) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

The best glass to use is the one in front of you, unless the person next to you has something better, then use theirs.
  8. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

The only wrong glass is a bottle.
    jbck109 likes this.
  9. I do like to use approximately the right beer for the right glass. A pilsner glass for a lager, a tulip for an aromatic Belgian or beer of any kind, that sort of a thing. But I don't make too much of an issue out of it. After all if you're spending too much time worrying about the right glass, doesn't that take some of the fun out of enjoying your beer?

And I just realized I made a sort of a beer-esque anti condom argument.
  10. Icarus

Icarus Aficionado (190) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Just drink everything from a beer bong, you can't go wrong. :)
  11. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Generally I drink my "better" beers from either a shaker pint or Tulip (either one of a selection of Duvel ones or Unibrau) I also do have a pretty good collection of other glasses, but unfortunately most of them are packed away at the moment.
    I will occasionally drink right from the bottle, but only if it's an "everyday" beer / daily drinker type, and don't feel like getting a glass out.
  12. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

And the snobs did GASP...:rolleyes:
  13. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

I'd drink all of my beer out of Star Wars Dixie cups if they still made them.
    airforbes1 likes this.
  14. assman79

assman79 Savant (430) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

Using the wrong glass is like crossing the streams.
  15. metter98

metter98 Advocate (720) New York Aug 29, 2006

I am not a big fan of tulip glasses and prefer to use snifter glasses over them, but there can be instances where highly carbonated beers or those that produce a large head could benefit from the taller sides. In these cases, I usually just try to do a more careful pour into a snifter.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

If there's such a thing as a glass for all beers, it's a Tulip. My Lost Abbey glasses, hence, get a real work out.;)
  17. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Eh, I just hate getting a chilled glass. Pisses me off every time. One time the waitress challenged me about it and said "you know you're supposed to drink it really cold- it's the only way it tastes good". Funny, I remember Two Hearted being pretty fucking awesome at any temp.
  18. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

That being said, my Lost Abbey Teku glass is the new workhorse. Everything looks and tastes damn good from it.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  19. Especially if said beer is an American Adjunct lager IMO. I have never noticed much variance in the way this style is presented period.
  20. I think i need to pick one of these up!
  21. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Teasing and taunting.
  22. I drink everything out of a pint glass because kiss my ass.
    DonDirkA likes this.
  23. It detracts from your beer points.
  24. Yeah, only if I paid for 16oz and got 14oz. Am I right?
  25. Sam Adams tulip glass works for everything except maybe a good limbic. I only say that because lambic is usually wicked expensive and c'mon if you are going to spend that mush loot on a bottle of beer drink it properly. (personally, my theory on glass wear is... if you want to drink all your beer strait out the bottle you would get no bad looks from me, beer is to be enjoyed so drink it out of your boot if it makes you happy!)
  26. bctdi

bctdi Aficionado (200) Georgia Dec 8, 2008

I would say that there is 1 situation where you really can have the wrong glass: try pouring a highly carbonated Belgian beer into a flute style pilsner glass and watch the foam show happen. I watched a neighbor try this. It ruined the beer that was in the glass. Other than that, It's more of a personal preferance. I prefer a belgian chalice style glass for everything, because I get a lot of aroma with it and it's a nice visual too.
  27. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

I literally laughed out loud at this post
  28. I always drink beers out of my tulip glass. regardless of style.
  29. Another fan of tulip glasses for pretty much everything. Also, I sometimes prefer beers straight from the bottle.

AFAIC the only wrong glassware is frosted or dirty.
  30. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Just thought I'd bring this up - If you want to use the assigned glass for a style, take care to fill to an appropriate level. An over-filled snifter presents the same as an filled pint glass.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Thursday nights at Keegan Ales they all taste pretty good from a mason jar, and can't beat 4.00 a pour.
  32. JimmyW

JimmyW Savant (270) Illinois Feb 17, 2011

The Shaker Pint! My least favorite glass to drink beer from. Avoid when possible.

Sure, I'd use the shaker pint if my only other option is drinking from the bottle. Fortunately, most places that offer glassware for the beer they pour have more than one option. Most people never even consider drinking their beer from a good ol' fashioned Wine Glass! A very appropriate drinking vessel in which the shape of the glass will help to contain and amplify flavor and aromas allowing the drinker to get a little bit more out of their beer. Pint glasses are like wider pilsner lager glasses which are designed for easier, faster consumption rather than to enhance stuff. Plus they hold much more liquid which sometimes means it takes longer to drink....which sometimes means more time in your warm, heat transferring hand. Nonic Pints I think are much better than shaker pints, too.
  33. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Only here on Beer Advocate....
    Feel_the_Darkness likes this.