1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish 120

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by forrestbetts, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Hit the west burbs today. At $10 / 12 oz am I the only one passing?
  2. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

...NO....
    nfc2469 likes this.
  3. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I might have to bite on a couple, but only because I recently drank one of my 2011's and it was fantastic. Wish I could buy a case for a decent price...
  4. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (530) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Saw 5 on the shelf. Pounced on some Pipeworks stuff instead.
    Kubrickx and Nachos4two like this.
  5. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Saw 10 btls of 120 at Whalegreens in greektown yesterday; grabbed a sixer of Sucks instead. Fully enjoy DFH 60&90 but price point for me makes this a big fat No!...not even to age, sorry.
  6. Is this surprising? I have never seen or heard of 120 Minute (or World Wide) to be under $10 a bottle.
    tjfilippo likes this.
  7. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (305) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

^^These^^ were my exact thoughts as well. I had a 2011 last weekend and it was tasting excellent. I have one more 2011 and may have to buy 2-3 bottles from this run. And FYI there's bottles all over in the far west burbs as well for anyone that's looking.
  8. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I pass it up each and every time I see it.
    tinypyramids likes this.
  9. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

This beer is worth trying but it is not a good beer by any means.
  10. Jagen

Jagen Aficionado (135) Illinois Oct 1, 2012

It's going to be on shelves off and on for awhile, wouldn't freak out and purchase a shitton thinking you wont be able to later...That said I haven't seen it cheaper than $10/btl anywhere and it is a ;little bit too pricey =\
  11. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

It doesn't taste like an IPA at all. That's prolly why a lot of people don't like it. I expected it to be very boozy and very bitter, it was neither. Super balanced with sweetness to it. IMO I thought it was awesome. @ 15-20% It's deadly.
    bradner likes this.
  12. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Got a case of 2012 for $180
  13. With respect to the MillerCoors Company, this to me, is the real 'Blue Moon', because that's about how often I like to drink one. Hard to explain because I don't hate it, but every time i drink one, the thought of drinking another almost makes me gag a little for about the next six months or so. Drank a fresh one about two weeks ago so it shouldn't be too hard to lay down this last bottle of 2012 I have for a while..
  14. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

120 minute is one of the grossest beers i've ever tasted. maybe if you age it for ten years it's not as absolutely disgusting, but i certainly won't keep one of those abominations in my cellar for any amount of time let alone the aeons needed to make 120 palatable.
  15. The price is not surprising to me, no. The fact that I saw three cases of it sitting on the floor made me wonder who is buying it at that price. Clearly many are, but I found this to be an easy 'no'.
  16. beergurujr

beergurujr Savant (350) Illinois Oct 27, 2003

Wow. Please send all 120 to my store. Please!
  17. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I bought 2 of these when I first saw them. Drank one and was left wondering what I could do with the other one besides a drain pour. Ended up sharing it with someone who had never had one. Maybe with a ton of age on it it would be OK, but I wont be buying it again especially at that price. I'll still pick up WWS for that price though! Maybe one or two a year is all.
  18. 71gto

I cannot believe the amount of people that dislike it. Fresh it isn't anything special at all, but 6 months+ of age and it is amazing.
    Dontcounttoday and beercanman like this.
  19. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (365) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

I remember paying $5 a bottle five years ago and thought it was overpriced. Lots of other good sixers for $10 out there.
  20. 71gto

That logic can be used for a lot of really good beers that I am sure you and I both still buy anyway.
  21. buzze40

buzze40 Savant (300) Illinois Mar 9, 2010

Just go to Downers grove Binnys. No shortage whatsoever.
  22. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

Folks, this beer is the epitome of age-able beers. It turns into the most amazing English Barleywine at around 2-3 years. It is off the charts awesome.

Not trying to talk anyone into it. I have NO problem buying up what others don't want. But information is power. The best part about this beer is how amazing it becomes, but it never is hoarded because you have to wait so long for it to develop. Therefore, people try it fresh and the demand goes down. YEAH 4 ME!!!
  23. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I like it fresh and aged. It's a win either way. Cheers!