1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dogfish & Grateful Dead to brew a grassroots collaboration: American Beauty

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Grateful Dead, two pioneers who built their followings by connecting directly with beer lovers and music lovers, are collaborating on the newest beer in Dogfish’s line of off-centered ales.

Working in that happy place between creative ideas and like-minded people, the off-centered brewery and free-spirited band have been trading ideas for a beer they’re calling “American Beauty.” They’ve settled on a strong pale ale with all-American hops and barley, and now they’re asking their loyal fans to suggest a special ingredient – and the Dead-inspired story behind it.

“Grateful Dead Productions is extremely pleased to be partnering with Dogfish Head Craft Brewery on the American Beauty pale ale. We’ve looked for a long while for the perfect brewery to team up with for a Grateful Dead-inspired brew, and feel we’ve finally found the right fit. Aside from Dogfish’s history with music-themed brews, we love their beer, and think it’s the best around. Plus, these are really good people and are the type of folks we want to work with,” says David Lemieux, legacy manager for Grateful Dead.

“The feedback the band got from Dead Heads was always an important factor in their shows,” says Dogfish Founder and President Sam Calagione. “And at Dogfish, we’ve always thought of our pub regulars and brewery tour guests as an informal focus group, so we’re sending a shout out to all those Dead Heads and Dogfish Heads by making them a driving force behind this beer.”

Did you trade a bushel of fresh clementines for tickets to a two-night-stand at Long Beach Arena? Or maybe your dad first laid eyes on your mom sipping a cup of green tea in the parking lot of the legendary Cornell ‘77 show? Jog your memory, tell the story, and suggest the ingredient at the heart of that story. You could help bring this counterculture collaboration to life.

Suggestions for American Beauty’s final ingredient will be taken online in December. A panel from the Dogfish Head and Grateful Dead teams will pick the ingredient they feel works best in the context of a strong pale ale recipe. The brewery and band hope to invite the fan who suggested the ingredient to Dogfish’s coastal Delaware brewpub in the spring of 2013 to help brew a test batch.

“My wife, Mariah, and I went to our first Dead show together in the summer of ‘91,” says Calagione, “and I’ve been listening to Workingman’s Dead and Shakedown Street, two of the earliest albums I ever owned, on my morning kayak trips. It’s amazing how timeless those albums are.”

American Beauty is expected to hit taps and shelves throughout Dogfish’s 27-state distribution network in October 2013. Stay tuned to www.dogfish.com for details on how to be a part of this grassroots brew.

[​IMG]

About Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
    Dogfish Head makes off-centered ales for off-centered people. Since 1995, Dogfish has brewed with nonstandard ingredients such as raisins, chicory, maple syrup and grapes, changing the way people think about beer. Dogfish believes beer can have as much flavor, complexity, diversity, food-compatibility and ageability as the world’s finest wines. To discover your favorite off-centered ale, visit www.dogfish.com.

About Rhino Entertainment
    Based in Burbank, California, Warner Music Group’s Rhino Entertainment was founded in 1978 and is the world’s leading pop culture label. Emphasizing flawless sound quality, bonus tracks, informative liner notes, award-winning creative packaging, an offbeat sense of humor, and a strong social conscience, Rhino continues to set the standard for excellence in the reissue business it pioneered in both the physical and digital worlds. Rhino is also expanding the definition of what a catalog music company is, as evidenced by the label’s recent name and likeness representation deal with Frank Sinatra and its multi-faceted relationship with Grateful Dead. The vast Rhino catalog of more than 5,000 CDs, videos, and digital exclusive albums features material by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, The Doors, Chicago, Black Sabbath, John Coltrane, Yes, Alice Cooper, Linda Ronstadt, The Ramones, The Monkees, Carly Simon, Curtis Mayfield, among many others.

###
  2. Beer and the Dead? That's nothing I'd be interested in...

;) iso
  3. mykey120

mykey120 Member

sweet! I would buy this for sure
  4. bleakies

bleakies Member

One man bottles what another man spills.
  5. Bay01

Bay01 Member

This is a good candidate for some fresh resinous Chinook nuggs.
  6. KajII

KajII Member

Ok now we are talkin', great music to go with great beer....
  7. Mojo

Mojo Member

Gotta have it!!!!
  8. kozaka

kozaka Initiate

Oh, c'mon! At least it's not called Built to Last.
  9. Stormfield

Stormfield Member

Hmm...surprised someone hasn't (directly) suggested the hop's smokable cousin yet. But I would vote on a big, resinous hop like Bay01 already suggested. I wish they'd just go simple with it. Maybe ALL Chinook hops. How 'bout a nice single hopped beer? C'mon guys! I doubt they'd do it. Just isn't Dogfish Head's style. Will it be aged with wood chips from one of Jerry's Irwin guitars?
  10. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Member

Finally, I thought this would eventually become a reality. Very interested in this one.
  11. suspect

suspect Member

Hell yes. Love the Dead, love DFH, love IPAs. Cannot. Wait.
  12. davey101

davey101 Member

The secret ingredient should be shrooms. Because grateful dread.
  13. Melomanemusher

Melomanemusher Member

Nothing more , nothing less than petals from a rose !!!!
    Buster, ehammond1, robinsmv and 2 others like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

The special ingredients should be sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Some Häagen-Dazs ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Cap'n Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas. We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons.
  15. yamar68

yamar68 Member

YES!

Brewed with reds, vitamin C and cocaine perhaps?
    MickJ0nes, ackeeper, Snowrs and 13 others like this.
  16. cartoonshop

cartoonshop Member

grateful dead patchouli pale ale
  17. Beerisheaven

Beerisheaven Member

Wow, very disappointed in the Dead on this one.
  18. Melomanemusher

Melomanemusher Member

why are you disappointed ?
  19. LMT

LMT Member

Call it Parking Lot Porter. Secret ingredient...veggie burrito.
  20. Fatty vegie burritos. That made me laugh. :D
    MickJ0nes likes this.
  21. cartoonshop

cartoonshop Member

if its anything like a grateful dead show, it will will smell horrible and bore your pallete for 40 mins at a time
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  22. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Member

Hazelnuts from Eugene!
  23. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

wonder if this one will get as much hype as the pearl jam DFH collab...that was actually rather tricky to get ahold of.

as for the ingredient...gotta be sugar mags!!!
    ObiWanKushnobi and yamar68 like this.
  24. yamar68

yamar68 Member

Sick burn, brah.
  25. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Sick!

Vote 1: The dankest of the dank

Vote 2: Rosemary
  26. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Member

Manzanita Leaves all the way!!!
  27. GeddyLeeRocks

GeddyLeeRocks Member

OUCH!!!
  28. ASUBeer

ASUBeer Member

Box of Rain would have been a cool name.
    DelMontiac, bhir and yamar68 like this.
  29. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Acolyte

:) Two favorite things finally meet....the secret ingredient should change and be brewed in small batches to match the style of the shows...not a single one the same.
  30. tigerbeer90

tigerbeer90 Member

where do you go to suggest the special ingredient?
  31. brstls4drmrs

brstls4drmrs Member

Morning Brew would of been a good name too.
    ackeeper, beersabound and yamar68 like this.
  32. 395er

395er Member

Can someone do a Bad Religion or Black Flag collab? Quick?
  33. paulys55

paulys55 Member

34. redmagik99

redmagik99 Member

Interesting. I have some questions about this:

Who is being referred to by the term "Grateful Dead," besides David Lemieux, "legacy manager"? Are any of the band members involved in this? What is the relationship between Rhino Entertainment and this brew?
  35. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Member

Or a Minor Threat brew? j/k
  36. digdug1810

digdug1810 Member

A Lil Sandoz especial
    JackStraw likes this.
  37. Melomanemusher

Melomanemusher Member

A straight edge beer !! awesome but, lets go back to the excellent grooves of GD
    PumaSaysRawrr and SatlyMalty like this.
  38. Gratefullawyer

Gratefullawyer Member

drums, space and beer .....I'll be twirling with this one........

MIRACLE MY favorite pub......Chappys Tap Room
  39. Gratefullawyer

Gratefullawyer Member

Best idea.
  40. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Member

Fully.