1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dogfish Head 120

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by astrovol, Dec 31, 2012.

1. astrovol

astrovol Member

It's a shame, but I just had my first ever 120min IPA. HOLY CRAP!!! Why have I never had this before!? I have never really had an opportunity to buy it due to its elusiveness, but today my local bottle shop had a few and man am I glad i bought a bottle at $10.99!

It might just be my taste, but this is now tied for my #1 beer with goose island bcbs. It's so good I wish I could go buy another one! My top 3 beers prior to this were bcbs, hopslam and zombie dust. I will now be disappointed with any other IPA. What do you think BA?
    Lantern likes this.
  2. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Member

My first 120 was the 2005 version about a year ago. LOVED IT! Tasted like a sweet European barleywine. No hop presence what so ever at that point. Then over the last year I've had recent years 120, which taste like a completely different beer, and definite hop presence. Try saving a bottle for a few years....CRAZY diff. Luckily I still have a 2005 version in my cellar to pop open in 2015.
  3. Dodo2step

Dodo2step Member

My first 120 was a few years ago. and it took me an hour and half to finish it and it knocked me on my ass. Great beer though!
  4. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Member

You got raped at 10.99. Just throwing that out there. And are crazy for buying it at that price IMO. But yeah, definitely unique.
  5. whiskey

whiskey Member

I wouldn't say "raped". $10 seems to be a pretty standard price around the country.
    JxExM, jmich24, Hindsight and 13 others like this.
  6. Oneinchaway

Oneinchaway Member

Yea, from what I've seen $10 is pretty standard in most areas.
  7. huysmans

huysmans Member

I don't think $10.99 is "raped", but it is a bit high. All the bottles I have seen have been in the $8-10 range. I have a 2010 and a 2012 in my cellar, and had some 2012 on draft a few months ago. I quite enjoyed it on draft and look forward to my aged bottles whenever I might open them. 120 is a polarizing beer. My father is a huge hophead, who loves 90 min, and hated it. He called it a "waste of hops" and said it tasted like cough syrup. That was a fairly fresh bottle in perhaps 2009. He also sampled my 2012 and was not enthused.
  8. Indifferent

Indifferent Member

I had it on tap a few months ago. I thought it was terrible.
    sukwonee and Jimmyp7010 like this.
  9. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Member

What are you talking about that's standard price
    jdmandel likes this.
  10. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Member

Really? My apologies then. I bought a bottle once and I definitely paid $7.99 for the bottle.

EDIT: this was around august-september btw
  11. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Used to be able to get a 4 pack for 28 bucks at the Brewery but last time I went it was up to $33 or $35.
  12. Leepa_Time

Leepa_Time Member

drank a bottle that had been aging for about 9 months with my brother when he got back from california. it's his favorite beer but it was my first time having it. loved it! i've heard some people say it was overly sweet but i thought it had a great balance.
    Lantern and JxExM like this.
  13. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Member

Never had a bottle of it. I did find it for 8 bucks at a Giant Eagle so for everyone to just accept a 10-11 dollar price tag must be loaded.

I had a 4 oz pour on tap for 3 bucks but that was plenty I couldn't imagine a 12oz pour and I usually pound big beers like a champ.
  14. Jacob007

Jacob007 Member

I paid 15 and would do it again!
  15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Member

I bought 14
    @15 bucks a piece
    jdmandel likes this.
  16. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

I hate it...cloyingly sweet to me...but I've only really had it fresh...there's like a case sitting at my local place at like $8/bottle...no care ever.
    rocdoc1 likes this.
  17. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Member

While $10 is standard everywhere that doesn't mean its not completely overpriced.
  18. beerborn

beerborn Member

ISO: your bourbon county FT: 120 minute
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  19. chekako

chekako Member

I agree it basically turns into candy. don't know any other IPA that can do that
  20. Derranged

Derranged Member

I drank it once, paid $9.99 for it. I drank it in about 45 minutes. Then I went to a bar with my friends. Probably the wrong night to drink something like that. :confused:
    JxExM likes this.
  21. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Member

That beer is no IPA
  22. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Member

The sweetness ruined it for me. The flavors were good but the sweetness became nauseating halfway through. I had been pounding zombie dust the night before though.
  23. DanK4

DanK4 Member

Great for what it is, but that's one you split and sip or just plan on working on for a good hour- hour and a half.
  24. T-RO

T-RO Member

I had for the first time a few months ago, bought a bottle for $9, if I had to have spent $11 as the OP did I would have foregone my morning $1.09 mcdonalds coffee for 2 days to make up for my losses. I'm thinking buying 1 bottle to try at $8, $9, $11, or $15 bux isn't too crazy. just saying.
    jimcivis likes this.
  25. CHADMC3

CHADMC3 Member

Congrats on your new brew. I think you paid a fair price and I agree that beer is a treat. If Worl Wide Stout sounds good and you've never had it I would encourage you to pick it up some time as well. And it may be too late but if you ever see a Raison D'Extra floating around on a shelf grab that too.
    FlyingKelly likes this.
  26. AttitudeBrew

AttitudeBrew Member

$10.99 doesnt sound bad .$9.99 around here .
  27. Pinky

Pinky Member

Hellhound, while not in the discussion, was pretty delicious. New to this so please cut me a little slack. x
    JxExM and jdmandel like this.
  28. tennispl

tennispl Member

9.99 for me at my shop in Washington state. Had the '12 on Christmas, loved it. I think the people saying they didn't like it probably went in expecting a DIPA. While it is 120 ibu and high alcohol, it is by no means your average DIPA. Drink it from a snifter and enjoy it like a brandy. Only then will you achieve Dogfish nirvana.
    martyl1000 and T-RO like this.
  29. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Avery Maharaja does.
    jtmiller03 and jdmandel like this.
  30. jbeezification

jbeezification Member

Agreed, its more like a barleywine than an IPA.
  31. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

I know someone here in Spokane who sells it to a poor soul for 25 a bottle. But seriously, for some reason this just sounds nasty to me. It was hard enough to adjust my palate to ipa's, one that is too strong and hoppy would probably make me scowl.
  32. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

I've had 4 bottles...all 2012...the first bottle was a case of what you described...and I hated it...the second bottle I enjoyed...the third I enjoyed more...then...a few months later...bottle #4 was horrid to me.
  33. martyl1000

martyl1000 Member

Had it on tap at a restaurant while traveling in San Francisco. $12 for a 6 oz. pour. Worth every penny, especially since I've been looking for this for years and had given up hope.

Definitely in my top 5 most memorable beer moments. "Cough syrup", eh? I think some audiences just don't get the bigger of the big beers (12%+ abv). I drink them like dessert wines, not to quench my thirst, not to get drunk (though that's a common side effect!) I lingered over my snifter (which dwarfed the six ounces of 120 Minute luxuriously) for an hour.
    JxExM likes this.
  34. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Member

This beer changes significantly after 1 year+. Goes from the hop bomb that it is to a caramel imparted, sweeter(but not cloyingly so)beer that for me is just very enjoyable, like a fine Liqueur. It's definitely a sipper, though. I actually just bought an '06 recently, but am saving it for a special as hell occasion.

Not everyone has to enjoy Dogfish, but this certainly is a unique beer. Then there's Fort, pretty much 120 with Raspberries, which is another polarizing beer in itself...
    jdmandel likes this.
  35. FanofHefe

FanofHefe Member

I really like it as well, and have 2 bottles left from this past years' batch. I think I paid $10.99 and was not too terribly upset about the price.
  36. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Member

$9.97 in Delaware 30 miles from the brewery, so you did fine.
    FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  37. kojevergas

kojevergas Member

I had it fresh and would like to try it aged. It's strange to think of an IPA as being better aged, but it certainly sounds intriguing.
  38. BeerImmediately

BeerImmediately Member

My first (a few years back) was fresh: Tasted like paint thinner... hated it.
    My next was a 3 year old pour paired with food, and it was one of the best beers I ever tried.

Have since had others that have been in that 0-3 year range, and agree that it is much more Barleywine-style thick than DIPA sharp, but have truly enjoyed the nuances every time. Unique and worth the price, provided it's less than $1/oz (my personal limit on beer).
  39. LarryAppleton

LarryAppleton Member

Never had it, is it totally different from 60 and 90 minute? Is it worth 3x the price?
  40. tennispl

tennispl Member

Just as the 60 and 90 are very different, the 120 is a whole new animal. It's 3x the materials and time, justifying 3x the price. I say worth it, but to truly enjoy it get a couple, drink one and age one.
    jhartley and Ford like this.