1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head 120

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by astrovol, Dec 31, 2012.

1. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

Now save one for 3 or 4 years and tell me what you think.

2. It isn't overpriced when you look at it this way.

A. 12oz @ 18-20% is equivilant to 6 shots of vodka.
    3. They use a shit ton of hops which makes the price go up.
    C. It is amazing.

3. meh. it's a weird barleywine that is almost undrinkably bad fresh, and becomes very interesting, but hardly amazing after a couple years of cellaring.

probably will never buy it again. just my two cents

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  4. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Completely different animal...I'd say it's worth it if you're interested...if only once...but beauty is in the palate of the beholder...

5. As with life, every minute is different. The price just might be worth it, there's only one way to find out.

6. Sipchue

Sipchue Savant (350) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2009

Drank my first in October of 2011, then again, one on New Years 2011-2012. October of 2012, I had the third from the same batch. I still have one bottle from the batch and will cellar it for another year. At 18%, I think it's kind of cool to keep them for special occasions and see what aging them will do, and I can honestly say it's been enjoyable and fun. So much so that the DFH120 is one of 5 beers I'm currently cellaring. Anyone can do it; just put'em away, mark your calendar and reap the rewards.

7. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I hate it, I've had it aged, fresh and on draft. Nauseatingly sweet and tons of alcohol burn. To me it is one of those beers that is extreme for extreme sake (kinda like Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer) and very gimmicky.

8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I liked it. Just had it the other night. Piney nose right up front, then mellows into a mild sweetness, yet the hops were still there. Alcohol was hidden pretty well. I am curious about aging one for a few years. Thanks to Jon for the cool extra in the trade:D

FlyingKelly likes this.
  9. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (325) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

$10.99 here as well, 120 is an excellent beer but, I know I will get some shit for this but I think I liked the 75 min a little better.

10. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I've learned with DFH beers, it never hurts to let them sit for a few months. Correct me if you think I am wrong, but these beers tend to get better with age.

11. I've seen it for up to $15 per bottle, so $10.99 isn't too bad. I have a few bottles aging in the cellar. To me, it's nothing spectacular fresh, but still not bad. Aged 1 year makes a huge difference. I have a few that are passing 2 years, and I'm trying to decide how long I want to push a couple of them for before I open them.

12. $20 in West/Central PA. That is a beating

13. It is overpriced when you look at it this way:
    A. Its over triple the price of Hopslam, triple the price of Heady Topper, triple the price of Pliny, .... and I could go on. I don't care if it's higher in alcohol that doesn't make it better, I could drink well over 2 of anything listed above, consume more alcohol and still save money.
    B. So does everyone else.
    C. It gets an 87 on here based on a very vast variety of reviews, everything I listed gets close to 100. I could go on and on with beers I liked better for the price point. Dreadnaught (easily available here same price as 120 but you get a bomber and it tastes way better), Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree at 13.6% ABV is closer to the 120 in ABV (which is as actually 15 -20%), pretty much just go all the way down the list and their all better and a much better value.
    D. If you want to say don't compare it to DIPA's it's more of a barleywine (seeing that not many like it fresh anyway) we can run through the same exercise and it still gets torched.

14. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Saw it for $9.99 at Binny's and passed on it. I didn't like the 60 much, really liked the 90.

15. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

$8 in Carson City, NV.

16. It's $8.75 at the brewery, at least in a case, I think also in a four pack, and totally worth it. I was able to provide some for my friends and keep eight bottles for myself. I know it is amazing after two years, totally different from the fresh version, and I look forward to seeing how it develops after two years. I'm aging a 90 minute to see what happens, a little over a year and counting.

17. okay, $8.75 per bottle, $210 for a case. Again, totally worth it.

18. Centennial

Centennial Savant (450) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

Ft: as much 120 minute that people want. Iso: whatever

19. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

It seems like this beer tends to incite some strong opinions. Looks like more... I'll say dedicated?... hopheads aren't as likely to enjoy it due to the sweetness/caramel that comes through. I am more of a fan of Belgian quads than anything else so being a fan of the heavier malts and sweetness, the 120 to me is a great blend since (especially fresh) you still get plenty of hops but a sweeter overall character. I can see why people don't like it. It certainly isn't for everyone. I know that whenever I see it, I'll b sure to pick some up. I got a decent haul and am trying them over a period of aging. Had one fresh, another after a month, and plan on trying every few months, leaving one or two to go for a year or three. In the meanwhile, I'll be grabbing fresh batches as they come along too. Cheers!

[​IMG]

20. DonDirkA

DonDirkA Savant (410) Arizona Dec 14, 2011

I agree with you. I think its an awesome beer, but it definitely isn't a "hophead" beer. Actually I had one maybe a month or so ago that was the first one I have ever tasted that actually tasted like hops. Usually they are very malty and sweet, but still delicious. Trying them every few months you will notice that they don't change much. I have had a few at around one year old and they taste almost exactly like fresh. This one (like their Olde School Barleywine) needs a few years to really change and mature.

21. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

Good to know. Maybe I'll change my plan. Mark one for a year. One for two, and one for 5 or something of the like. Just replenish with fresh stock as it comes out. I'm going to have a hard time not cracking one open when I get home from work in the morning. Got me thinking about it now!

22. Uh-oh, I bet that $3 extra really hurt him financially.

23. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Geez! Ease up on the guy a little. He obviously had no idea EVERYONE buying it was getting raped! :D

whiskey and Frankinstiener like this.
  24. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

$12 a bottle around here so I passed. A friend shared one with me and I was underwhelmed. I don't know what I was expecting. Can someone tell me what similar beers there are to the 120?

25. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Probably my favorite beer. Aged, fresh, bottle or draft its good. I love all styles of beer and I cannot think of one beer that compares to it. Nothing comes close to compare. DFH gets a lot of shit on BA, but they remain my favorite brewery. Not because of the beers they make, but because they constantly push the envelope. They brew what they like. I dig that. If your a dedicated hophead only, move on, your gonna hate this beer. If you are the sort that likes one of a kind brews then look no further. I picked up a fresh case in October and I thought it was one of the better years fresh(I've loved them all though). I will buy a fresh case every year as long as they make it.

If you want to try something amazing do a half 120 with half wws. Use caution though, very potent.

FYI I pay 180 a case. Worth every penny.

26. rholmes

rholmes Aficionado (105) Florida Sep 11, 2012

I feel like it is completely different from the 60/90 minute IPAs. This is definitely a sipper; took me an hour and a half and I was on my ass when i was finished. Great beer, I paid $9.99/bottle in Tampa. Not an every weekend drink for me, but definitely worth it to try on occasion.

27. Jacob007

Jacob007 Savant (455) New Hampshire Sep 18, 2012

Nothing like the 60 or 90 ,which are good beers on there own.

28. I've had it a bunch of times. It's fine and I'll pick up a bottle or two occasionally, but more so to share with out-of-town friends who never have access to it.

That being said, I've got two bottles that I don't intend on drinking anytime soon if anyone wants them. Seriously.

29. Exactly what I was going to say. Haven't had the 120 yet, but the higher price is justified, imo.

30. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I agree with what cyraschris said. for sure this beer will insight some very well placed remarks and Ican see that. I mean I am a fan and supporter of Dogfish Head, but that does not mean I will not listen to reason or be egotistical about it. We can associate this also with the love of many regional breweries that can or can not be misunderstand by others living in different areas. If this sounds weird I implore you to think just a little outside the box, as I have made many discoveries in my travels across country. For instance Dogfish Head's attitude fits in more on the West Coast rather then the East, and you get the picture.

I have had a 120 IPA twice, and my friend and I have enjoyed it.

31. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (675) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I had my first experience with 120 a few months ago and I was surprised as to how little it resembles an IPA due to its lack of hoppiness. While it is def a great beer, I can't throw it into the "best IPAs" category simply cuz it drinks more like a barleywine/old ale and that's not really what I am looking for in an IPA.

beercanman likes this.
  32. Give me a 2 year old Maharaja and you have a new best friend... whether you like it or not. Old 'Raja is the best.

jbeezification likes this.
  33. I am not sure if I could let it sit that long, my lack of self control would most likely win out long before 2 years would arrive.

34. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Taste is definitely subjective. I did not enjoy 120 Minute IPA. I bought 2 bottles last year and I had one fresh. It was a complete boozy mess, imo. The second bottle is being aged in my cellar. I hear it ages well and transforms into something completely different over time. I plan on opening this bottle within the next 2 years or so.

35. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

There are plenty of fantastic IPA's out there. Maybe it is good, as long as you liike it that what matters most but i will never drink any beer made by that clown Calagione. You couldn't give it to me for free.

36. $10.99 per 12oz bottle I'd argue makes it tied for the shittiest beer. ;-P

37. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Anything more than about $3 per 12oz is too much for this jobless student to be willing to get...

There are plenty of $2 bottles at the shop I go to, so that works for me.

38. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I have a 1-year old MAharaja. I am planning to age it for another year ;)

jbeezification likes this.
  39. have had several times all different releases. a couple of times it was a waste of $10 wasnt even going to buy it this last release but a buddy of mine said it was best yet. Without a doubt best release to date bought another will sit on it for awhile(BD 21012H 23-32). Will say its the most inconsistent "seasonal" (3 times a year) beer.

40. Somewhere around 18 months it just transforms into the most wonderful nectar. I love it fresh but with 18-24 months age it just blows my mind.

sukwonee likes this.