1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head 60, 90 or 75 Minute IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Jun 13, 2014.

1. I'm heading to Lake George, NY and a favorite bar of mine is now carrying DFH 75 in bottles. I really enjoy their DFH 90 and 60. Have never had the 75. I've heard that it might be the tastiest of the three. I have even mixed the 60 with the 90 and it was very good. For those of you familiar with 60 minute and 90 minute, and have tried the 75 minute, which do you prefer and why??
    Greywulfken likes this.
  2. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (300) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

I like all three. I drink more 60 than the other two, but I love all of them.

75 is more towards 90 in flavor but more towards 60 in drinkability. It probably is the best one but realize it is not a hop bomb, it is nicely balanced with the malts and maple syrup. It goes down very smooth.

Love it.
    Zetcha7x, jhartley, Kyrojack and 6 others like this.
  3. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

I like the 90 minute the best. I was kinda disappointed in the 75 min. I didn't get much maple and was sweeter than both the 60 and 90. At least that's the way I remember. If you get a bottle of the 75 pour it very slowly because it's crazy carbonated!
    jhartley, Fargrow, Torch_Lake and 2 others like this.
  4. I dig it. I wish they put it in 12 oz. bottles.
  5. 60, 75, 90, it is all great. Go and have fun in lake george and get a good buzz on.
    alrightokay and RyanOooh like this.
  6. Kanger

Kanger Savant (345) New York Sep 3, 2013

Look for the Sixty-One. Delicious!!

[​IMG]
  7. Consuela

Consuela Zealot (90) California Jan 9, 2014

I think you already had the 75 minute when you put the 60 and 90 together ;)
    trentbent likes this.
  8. jlee

jlee Aficionado (155) Wisconsin Jun 5, 2014

Totally agree - I feel like this one is underrated. I like the 90 typically though, but I might be getting burnt out on it...
    LMT, HuskyHawk, SammyJaxxxx and 2 others like this.
  9. 75 is crushable for the abv but a little pricey. I wish they would do 4 or 6 packs of it and improve the bang for the buck in the oz/$ ratio.

With the 75, fresh it is pretty bitter and hoppy but good...however, there just isn't much maple to be found. Let it age 6 months +(don't shoot me), and the maple really comes out. The beer totally changes and turns into a different kind of awesome. I'm actually sitting on a few bottles from October of 2012 and the recent ones I've cracked were maple deliciousness. It's bottle conditioned so I can see them lasting for quite a while longer and being just fine.

As for 60 and 90...I love em'. Dogfish Head was the first real beer that I ever started drinking after Blue Point. They've kinda lost me with all the new stuff they've been coming out with and I really almost drainpoured Ta Henket, but they have a lot of solid offerings. Cheers to you, Sam C.
  10. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (300) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

Didn't like Ta Henket but LOVED Kvasir. That was a keeper.
  11. Kanger

Kanger Savant (345) New York Sep 3, 2013

I love the Kvasir and the Birra Etrusca. Their ancient series is tasty.
  12. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

As is the 120. Tee-hee.
  13. Donco

Donco Savant (385) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

I love the 90 minute and I'm not a real IPA fan. But this one is as drinkable as Lagunitas Sucks to me. And it's very available here in Philly.
    kerry4porters likes this.
  14. GetMeAnIPA

I am big fan of IPAs, pretty obvious by my BA name, and always been a fan of 90 min. It's differently not a hop bomb and more malty so it comes off more drinkable then an IPA that's really bitter.

Mmmmmmm.. Sucks
    EnthusedAboutBeer and Donco like this.
  15. i like them all but prefer 90 minute on Tap
    nc41 likes this.
  16. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

I got zero maple.
    WesMantooth, Tlab3, Fargrow and 3 others like this.
  17. GetMeAnIPA

I checked my tasting notes and put if I didn't know it had maple I wouldn't have known there was any in it.
    hardy008 and TheBrewo like this.
  18. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Savant (295) New York Aug 18, 2012

I drink 60 the most. 90 might be my favorite that I can obtain all the time but sometimes not looking to drink a ~10 percenter. 120 is definitely the best they make but for obvious reasons you don't drink it often (or can find it often).

I thought 75 was a nice mix despite getting almost no maple in the aroma or taste. Definitely sweeter than 60 or 90 as many have alluded to, but worth a try if you're into DFH.

Cheers!
  19. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (645) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

Haha nice...interesting thought, made me want to check what we wrote. This is our wrap up of the review "We were a little let down with this guy, to be honest. As a “special” beer that is rarely available we were expecting more of a punch, but it is hard to say from where. For such a renowned beer we thought the maple syrup might have a larger role here, or that the malt profile would be denser, to back up a massive hoppiness. These things were hard to find, and while it may have been in our minds, we are having trouble seeing what all the fuss is about. That being said, it is a tasty beer for the style, and something we would be happy to slurp on the regular."
    GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  20. @jayrutgers nailed it. 75 is smoother than either of the other two. Also agree with others that sixty-one is terrific. Wish it was cheaper.
  21. rather

rather Savant (280) California May 31, 2013

75 may be smoother but I agree with what others have said about the lack of maple flavor. I tried it once with about 4-5 month old bottle but unless is comes in 12 oz bottles or I find it on tap I won't try it again.
  22. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I think it's underrated as well. Anyone who appreciates wine would like 61, I think.

It's really unique.
    bluejacket74 likes this.
  23. I liked the bottled 75 minute, but the cask version of 75 minute you can get at Dogfish Head brewpub is godly. It's simply 60 and 90 combined in the cask, dry hopped with maple added (as far as I know), and it's godly.
  24. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

You really can't go wrong...they are all very good...not sure about the mixing but that is only because I haven't done it. Cheers!
  25. As a big Cash fan, I love the 75 bottles.
    jlee likes this.
  26. I had that too. I think they put it through the Randall. I agree it was smooth and tasty.
  27. HarryPotHead

HarryPotHead Savant (310) Maryland Aug 21, 2012

90 minute for the overall taste for sure.....although the 60 does go down smooooth.
  28. jlee

jlee Aficionado (155) Wisconsin Jun 5, 2014

Having just gotten DFH back in Milwaukee, I'm hoping we'll get 60 minute someday. I'm not complaining too much, we do get all the other beers, but I do enjoy a 60 minute change of pace.
  29. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Aficionado (115) New York Jan 26, 2014

Burton baton is better than all three
  30. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Savant (295) New York Aug 18, 2012

Forget to mention I had 61 minute recently and thought it was just plain awful..and I am a huge DFH fan.
  31. Like many others, I didn't get a ton of maple from the 75. And I'm not a huge fan of the 60 to be honest. The 90 has huge flavor and hides the 9% abv really well.
    GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  32. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

60m is a good IPA, but's that's it.
    75m is good, yes, but its tweaked, and not merely a middle ground between the 60 and 90.
    90m is a very good DIPA, and would be my choice of the 3.
    TongoRad and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  33. Agreed. When 90 Min is fresh and it's 'on', it's pure magic, hitting only the highlights of both the American and English substyles. After about a month that starts to fade, though, and it just becomes a fine English-style IPA.

The others don't really reach that level of transcendence, though. At best the 60 Min is a very good American IPA, and the 75 Min is a mix of the two in spirit as well as physical reality.
    GetMeAnIPA and Greywulfken like this.
  34. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

35. One of the first DIPAs I had was 90 Minute, and on tap no less: it was a eye opening experience for sure and remains one of my fave DIPAs. I haven't had it in awhile either... might need a revisit soon. Anyway, my vote goes to 90; a damn good beer and sentimental favorite.
  36. nauc

nauc Aficionado (165) New York Mar 17, 2013

ive only had the 90, but its one of my favz now
  37. I love 120 and got a bunch at a place cuz someone marked them to 2.00 a bottle so I came out lucky on that. Other than that, I'm a 90 minute guy. I need to try 61 though.
  38. I've only had 75 from a cask, and that was before they bottled it. It was awesome. That said, I'm not sure how the bottles compare.

That said, I'd probably go for the 60 if I was buying it in a larger quantity. Do you plan do drink more than a 6 pack? If so, I'd go with 60 minute. It's definitely easier to drink a larger quantity of 60 minute.
  39. 75 is quite tasty, and i've enjoyed each bottle i had. the maple is a nice touch.

i'll have to say 90 is my favorite - so smooth and balanced. nice flavors and easy drinking
  40. RyanOooh

RyanOooh Savant (310) Vermont Nov 25, 2013

DFH got me to love beer in 1995 and I say take em all. 60 minute for whenever, 90 when 60 won't do and 75 for when the lake is flat calm.
    Lucky you. Enjoy the trip.