1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head Announces new year round IPA! Sixty-One.

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by flayedandskinned, Jan 29, 2013.

1. That sounds good, can't wait to try it!
  2. Not disagreeing with you in the least bit, but their test batches sometimes change from what actually gets bottled. So I hope this one will come around, sounds like an interesting Idea. I remember when I tasted the tweason ale test batch they had at the brew pub, it was a totally different flavor then whats for sale now.
  3. every time I mix beer and wine I have the worst hangover the next day...
    Its a lesson I can't ever learn. After 3 or 4 beers, someone goes "hey want some wine?"
    and instead of remembering the splitting headache and being bedridden until 3pm the next day, I say,
    "Suuuure!"
  4. I wasn't a fan of either DFH Raison D'etre nor Midas Touch as I felt both were just OK, and I'm not a wine fan, but I'll still try this. DFH is one of those breweries that I'll try anything from.
  5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

At the brewery this weekend, they had some Bitches Brew aging away in spent Wild Turkey barrels in their wood-aging room. So, the idea is floating around, I guess it's just a matter of it turning out to Sam's liking.

As for 61, I tried it at the brewpub this weekend. I tried a sample of it on Friday and thought it was really good - the hops come through plenty, while the addition of grape must seems to have thinned it out a bit, and given it a much more palatable mouthfeel than normal 60 Minute has. The vinous notes also mesh pretty well with the base beer.

I ordered a glass of it Saturday and didn't like it quite as much, but I'd also had a much more palate-wrecking dinner (Mexican including a margarita) before hitting the pub, so this may be why. Nevertheless, it's something that probably won't excite hopheads very much, as the hops don't stand out quite as much, but IMO is a big improvement on 60 Minute and a couple of bottles will probably grace my fridge on a regular basis to be enjoyed when I'm in the mood for it. I also think it would benefit from being served at a much warmer temp than one typically would drink an IPA at.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  6. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

I wonder if this will be similar to 10-10-10 from stone.
  7. I just don't understand why people are so excited about Dogfish Head. The sheer number of different styles that they brew is amazing and I will grab a single of any I haven't tried as they become available. None of the ones Ive tried are really that tasty though. I'm a huge ipa/DIPA head and can't find one of the DFH offerings that begin to stack up to offerings from HF, Alchemist, RR, Lawsons, Alpine,Kern, FFF etc... The 60s & 75s are "meh", 90 is boozy, 120 is even worse. What do you guys suggest?
  8. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

This is what makes any subjective hobby great. We all have different tastebuds and enjoy different things. I am in the boat with you when it comes to cigars and wine. There are so many things that people rave over that I think are, as you said, "meh". To me, DFH is top notch. There isn't much that I dislike, but there are a few (some of the ancients don't work for me). As far as all around flavor, the Palo Santo Marron hits the bullseye for me.
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  9. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (440) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

I'll try anything once. Waiting for this to hit MI shelves!
    Alextricity and Cubatobaco like this.
  10. Put barrel aged WWS in bottles and I'll be impressed
    Rizalini and ufmj like this.
  11. I'll give it a try and see how it fits in the line up.
    Although this tasting probably had me enough off center for one night. [​IMG]
    dan027 and ufmj like this.
  12. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Not a big fan of Midas Touch but pretty much all of the IPAs! I just had 75 minute this past weekend and loved it! Burton Baton is amazing also
  13. Mikkeller homie

14. Dont agree at all.
  15. Cubatobaco

Dogfish Head's Sixty-One was born at the crossroads of serendipity, experimentation and brotherhood.

Whenever Dogfish Head President Sam Calagione and his neighborhood friends gather for drinks, they give each other a big ol' man-hug and order a round of 60 Minute IPA. A few years ago, Sam also ordered a glass of his favorite red wine and poured a little into each pint of 60 Minute. They all dug the combination of fruity complexity and pungent hoppiness, and the blend became a beloved tradition.

Sixty-One captures that tradition in a bottle and marries two Dogfish Head innovations: beer/wine hybrids – which Dogfish has focused on for well over a decade with beers like Midas Touch and Raison D'être – and continually-hopped IPAs.

Four-packs of Sixty-One, which clocks in at 6.5% ABV, will be available four times a year throughout Dogfish Head's 27-state distribution network, pending local approval. We'll start shipping to wholesalers in about a week, so keep your eye on the Fish Finder to see where Sixty-One been delivered.

Anyone else looking forward to this?
    Giovannilucano and Schwantz like this.
  16. Had this past weekend and it sucked. What a BS story
    beerassociate and Schwantz like this.
  17. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

18. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Bumming..
  19. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Not really. Doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, but I'm still going to try it
  20. I'll more than likely try it, but no, I'm not at all excited about it.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  21. Cubatobaco

Well that sucks. This is the way I felt about Aprilhop. Just not for me...
  22. Zbyler

Zbyler Aficionado (210) Connecticut Jan 18, 2013

Doesn't sound appealing. If it's anything like the other beer+wine mixtures I have tried then I will definitely pass.
  23. Had it over the weekend and Champale was better than this malternative mess. Can DFH even call themselves a brewery, all they make are off-tasting malternative swill.
    GeddyLeeRocks likes this.
  24. DogFish is easily the best brewery in my opinion. I am also a HUGE ipa/DIPA fan. Surprised you didn't like 120. You should try 75min (great IPA with maple), others I suggest by dogfish are: ApriHop, Black & Blue, Fort, Olde School Barleywine, Indian Brown Ale & Bitches Brew (American Double/Imperial Stout, crazy stuff)
    If you dont like them then you don't but Id be shocked if a fan of ipa/DIPA doesnt like dogfish head. They make amazing brew. Cheers!
    DrStiffington likes this.
  25. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

Their Theobroma uses cocoa from a Springfield, MO company (Askinosie Chocolate) and we still can't get anything here!
    jmccullough108 likes this.
  26. I have tried several beers using grapes and enjoyed each one. Cantillon Saint Lamvinus is one of my favorite beers of all time. Framboise Noire by Draai Laag, which I had recently, was quite good as well. I know there are others I have had that are escaping my memory at the moment.

I hope you get to try something like it soon.
    ColinStClaire likes this.
  27. I have yet to have a single beer from DFH that IMO even resembles an IPA. Their beer all taste like residual bitter strong ales.
    nicholasofcusa likes this.
  28. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (170) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

So true. I wish we would stop being so fast to put creative ideas down for being gimmicky. This is the kind of stuff that makes craft beer fun and exciting! Rogue on the other hand...
  29. What DFH does is not creative for the sake of beer, it is all for marketing and to make up for the lack of brewing skill. DFH is pure garbage.
  30. Looks like a gimmicky, overpriced 4 pack. But, If I can't find it on draft I'll probably have to buy one and try it once. Every DFH brew besides 60 minute has been one and done for me. Seems like they are forcing it with a lot of their brews and trying to be different for the sake of being different. They seem like the hipsters of the craft beer industry, different, but rarely (if ever) in a good way.
  31. Yes, I am! I am right along with ya! I see how Sam is incorporating that part of his Italian heritage which is known for wine, along with his personal love of beer. With this too, he is the one brave enough to have worked with the Italian brew masters, which alone he can be criticized for. I am looking forward to this next evolution of beer and wine hybrid.
    Cubatobaco and Providence like this.
  32. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Savant (300) Arizona Oct 16, 2012

DFH has the same Yeast profile in most of thier beers in my opinion, which makes taste between 60,75,90 hard to differentiate. I do like all of them though, including the boozy-ness of the 90-120. Arrogant bastard Ale has that profile of boozyness, but it works. I guess you just have to drink what suites you. If Im in the mood for an IPA, I dont drink DFH, I have to be in the mood for a DFH. Cause they are not like other "IPA's"
    DrStiffington likes this.
  33. Cubatobaco

I think this is exactly what they were trying to accomplish.
  34. FrankH

FrankH Aspirant (40) New Jersey Mar 6, 2013

Will be nice to have another year round option
  35. I've gotta say the only beers I've had from DFH that I loved were bitches brew, 60 min, and Raison. Everything else kinda tastes the same after mixing so much spice into all their beers....I can't say I see this 61 being good, but I'm always down to give it a go. I'm hoping to be pleasantly suprised!
    DStoked likes this.
  36. twenty5

twenty5 Savant (390) Pennsylvania May 15, 2010

I tried both the test batch on draft and the bottled version last weekend. I enjoyed both of them. I think it is a great beer to get some more wives and girlfriends involved in craft beers. Its worth a try.
  37. Not interested unless it comes in 7-packs
    caskstrength likes this.
  38. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'd be interested to know if you've ever tried an aged World Wide Stout. It is a truly sublime beer experience that couldn't be made by someone with a lack of brewing skill. I think the problem is your lack of familiarity with their products, not their lack of brewing skill.
  39. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

DFH has always made awesome beers.. never understood the hate.. one day they just became "not cool" to some, but to each their own. Not every beer is a homerun and there's a couple I dislike, but they definitely have way more hits than misses. I'm not even going to list all of the beers I love from them..

That being said I've been looking forward to trying this one, we'll see how it goes..
    Dan_Bowman likes this.