1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head, Birra Del Borgo, Birra Baladin Unveil Etruscan Beer

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Some of you many have heard about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Birra Del Borgo and Birra Baladin collaborating with the help of Dr. Patrick McGovern to recreate an etruscan (ancient Italian) beer for the next Ancient Ales release. Birra Del Borgo has just released a behind the scenes of their project using terracotta fermenters. Ingredients? Just as interesting as the fermentation vessel: acqua, matlo d'orzo, grano Saragolia, melograno, uva sultanina, resina di pino, genziana, nocciole, miele, lievito dell'Alta Tuscia. It's in English; mostly. ;)

Looking forward to hearing more about the release and trying this unique brew.

Cheers!
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  2. Of course all I can say is wow!
  3. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Wow with grapes, pine resin and honey, gonna be interesting for sure, a treat hopefully. Had the Enkir from Birra del Borgo, a delicious full bodied beer using a grain 12,000 years old, so they also have experience and success with ancient beer. Will get this one as soon as it's ready.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I'm a sucker for their ancient series stuff. I'm in.
  5. Yes! I will be on the look out!
  6. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

As soon as I saw this I thought "Where's Giovanni to comment on this?" :D
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  7. Sam always looks stoned :)

I've not thought much of the ancient ale series so far...but dammit I'll probably try this one too
  8. Bubbalito

Bubbalito Savant (435) Virginia Jan 2, 2012

It does often appear that Sam's experimental Marijauna usage has left a lasting impression on his demeanor! This is pretty damn cool. Say what you will about DFH, they are expanding the horizons of beer. THink of all the other things they could be doing with the money and resources that they have earned/gained over the years. Getting involved in projects like this, bringing some of these brewers, scientists, historians etc. together to work on these things can only be good for everybody. While I am not a die hard DFH beer drinker, these sort of stories defenitely have earned my respect and admiration.
    Hanzo and MykelJH like this.
  9. hmmm, interesting. Gotta hand it to them for experimentation and trying new things. Hopefully it ends up tasting good too.
  10. And here I was right off the bat! :D
  11. Giovacchini

Giovacchini Savant (255) California Dec 16, 2011

Forget 'bout it...
  12. Sounds good to me!
  13. jchoffman

jchoffman Aficionado (185) Georgia Jan 28, 2012

Look forward to trying this.
  14. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

when it comes to stepping outside of the norms and daring to be different I feel that DFH really set the trend and has ventured beyond the comfort zone of well over 99% of the breweries in the US and paved the way for a number of start ups and other nationally known breweries that we have today. While some people may not like some of their product, they can't say that everything they put out is garbage and they definitely don't feel the need to limit their portfolio and brew schedule to meet the demand for all their beers.

I'm definitely looking forward to this and hope that it pops up locally.
  15. I love this whole "Ancient Ale" series, and Baladin's Nora was one of the first "old-style" brews I ever tried.
    I hope some of the Etruscan stuff makes it out to the west coast.
  16. ghostly

ghostly Aficionado (145) New York Mar 7, 2011

Well, I've had this. It was a draft (cask, I believe) at Eataly's Birreria in NYC. I thought it was disgusting, as did the other three people I was with. The initial smell and sip is interesting, but it tastes like bad homebrew (I'd know, I've made some.) But knock yourselves out, guys.
  17. After talking to him at the EBF its safe to say he's still "experimenting".
    Bubbalito likes this.
  18. Shmota

Shmota Aficionado (115) Indiana Jun 16, 2008

Doing the DFH tour next week. Hope to see the fermenters..
  19. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

At the OCFF in Austin, he spoke about brewing beer with marijuana during one is his Q&As. Apparently it's a common practice in Amsterdam. Ha.

Sam is awesome in person, btw. I spoke with him for about 20 minutes in 2011 about beer. He's just as funny and as passionate in real life about beer as he is in any of his videos or his TV show.
  20. I'd tick it.
    danieelol likes this.
  21. Jahmills

Jahmills Zealot (90) Pennsylvania Apr 1, 2009

That was very cool, thanks for posting it. Sam is really living the life, crazy jealous of that guy.
  22. How much will it cost?

Most Italian beers are too expensive.
  23. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (550) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Man that's pretty awesome.
    Even if it costs as much as their Worldwide Stout I'd bite the bullet to try it.
  24. robconoclast

robconoclast Aficionado (155) Ohio Jun 22, 2012

Is this still in the works ? My wife and I noticed a Dogfish beer in the Italian beer section of our local shop that was pitch black with yellow lettering. I'm looking at DFH's website in another tab and can't find it
  25. I think that you saw a bottle of positive contact.
  26. Kwaide

Kwaide Aficionado (220) Virginia Jul 11, 2012

the bottle you are looking for is My Antonia, that was a colab beer between dogfish and del Borgo. the black label with the yellow is Borgos version and the Dogfish is a tan label with what looks like a temple. I would def go with the Dogfish one simply because it is more readily available, bigger bottle and less money. the small one of the borgo release can be as much as 12 bucks a bottle and in most places the 750 from dogfish is only 9.
  27. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Sounds awesome to say the least! Plus the history and process are amazing. Definitley want a bottle!
  28. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Terra Cotta is super soft and SUPER pourous. It would be really interesting for multiple fermentations in Terra Cotta because anything could be hiding in there. Could make for something altogether different in the beer world! Would be crazy interesting to see someone use Terra Cotta with a wild "tougher" yeast strain.
  29. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

One of the things that drew my wife and me to craft beer was an NPR story on a DFH re-creation of ancient brew...
  30. dedrinker

dedrinker Initiate (0) Kansas May 13, 2006

Sam needs to remember his wife and children and stuff brewing beer for men in tights.
  31. It is a shame that some a very expensive but I hope in time they will go down. The more people are into this, like me, the better.