1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head Expansion

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by jRocco2021, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

2. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

I hope they dedicate an entire wing to brewing Bitches Brew.

3. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I just hope they start distributing to WI again

4. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

Yeah, hopefully this means they will distribute in more states now.

Arodnum1 likes this.
  5. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I like going to milwaukee, and we get DFH here. BM stuff you'd like and Ill see what I can do next trip. No promises.

6. They can take back the distribution to Texas and send that mess elsewhere.

7. rangerred

rangerred Savant (415) Tennessee Dec 20, 2006

Please come back to TN!

KingKat and MikeEhrmantraut like this.
  8. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I hope they do. And send more here.

Lare453 likes this.
  9. They get DFH in Milwaukee? Where?

10. Sadly, I got heavy into DFH just after they left...

11. YogiBeer

Nono, I live west of chicago... I said that I like GOING to Milwaukee.

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I know they have some polarizing beers, but surely you can't dislike everything they make.

Dan_Bowman and YogiBeer like this.
  13. YogiBeer

Hating on dogfish is the hip(ster) thing to do right now, Hanz.

14. Reading comprehension fail. Sorry.

AmitC likes this.
  15. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

And RI

surge1311 likes this.
  16. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Advocate (505) Indiana Jun 15, 2010

Well, since this seems to be a wish list for returns, come back to Indiana DFH. You tease us with collaborations with Three Floyds, so you are already half here.

AmitC likes this.
  17. Still pissed they left RI. Bah humbug.

18. i'd like to see dfh back in canada, they cut off distribution after that stupid brewmaster show becuase they were getting too mainstream or something.

19. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Dogfish is better at marketing than at brewing beer. How many ridiculous marketing schemes can one brewery come up with?

Maybe their next beer should be dedicated to Creed.

matty2790 likes this.
  20. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Just drive 20 miles in any direction and BAM you can get DFH, lol.

I barely ever buy DFH any more, although I get this strange hankering for Raison D'Etre every couple months. I really wish they'd try a sour though.

matty2790 and davey101 like this.
  21. Dogfish brews good beer, but they are successful and expanding based on that success(rather than taking out a giant loan from venture capitalists), so they suck now. If they would just not sell so much beer and stay small, then they would kick ass again. Smh.

kpodolanko likes this.
  22. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Only really bad beer from them was Ta Henket. All their regular stuff is above average and their ancient ale line is creative and delicious.

davey101 likes this.
  23. Definitely agree about Ta Henkett, I actually considered a drain pour with that one...but I don't think they were going for pleasing taste as much as accurately recreating what the people of ancient times over there drank. He was willing to take that risk, I give him credit for that, but I don't ever plan on having it again.

luwak likes this.
  24. How is experimenting and having fun necessarily related to marketing? Sure some their stuff is gimmicky, but who are you to say it's simply a ploy to get people to spend? Isn't that the point of business anyway?

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  25. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

The word marketing gets thrown around a lot on this forum but I don't think people know what it means.

26. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Thats soooo 2011

luwak likes this.
  27. You're right. It's time to hate on Founders now. Bolt Cutter was a total failure, and I heard they're liquidating the company.

luwak, davey101 and YogiBeer like this.
  28. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

Hoping to hear news that Alchemist is opening a brewery near Rochester NY so I can drink Heady Topper for breakfast. I would love to be Santa in Vermont.

29. Yeah, I just miss having 90 min. on tap.

30. To be honest, I do not enjoy their brews. 90 Min. is the only one that I will drink, and even then...only if it is the only option.

However, if expanding is what they really feel is best for their business then hell, good for them!!

31. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

hopefully they distribute to central IL again

clarkw42 and Thirstygoat like this.
  32. I give DFH tons of credit expanding at a rate that allows them to maintain complete control of the brewery. No doubt they have been approached countless times by VC willing to fund massive expansion. It must be extremely difficult to pass on some of those offers. As far as marketing and branding it seems some people consider them too mainstream because they are successful at it. When the brewery name comes up I can visualize exactly what they stand for I can't say the same for most breweries even if they produce amazing beer. I do admit they are one of my favorites and I do believe they produce a very high quality product and run an amazing business.

They have enough credibility with me that if they produce an experimental beer I will give it a try but that doesn't mean I like all of them but I do appreciate their R&D process and the risk they take. The ancient ale series and other experimental brews are not brewed for the hype but for the genuine curiosity.

I can't really take some posters seriously when they say _____ is literally the worst beer I've ever had. I respect everyones opinions and taste but their are more constructive ways to voice those opinions. Obviously because of how unique some of their brews are they never really conform to style guidelines so I find it hard to review them and make comparisons. Sam has always been upfront that the beers he brews are not for everyone and that he respects peoples difference in taste.

Lantern, luwak, callmeishmALE and 6 others like this.
  33. If you have never read brewing up a business Id recommend it. ( not a plug)

This thread reminds me of a story he tells in the book how when he opened the brew pub they wanted to attract a younger crowd who might appreciate the beer and had an event with a DJ and if you brought a piece of wood for the fire you got a free beer or some discount. Anyways he goes on to explain while the first time they had this event they had a good turnout but the college age crowd would be pounding the beer because of the high alc and were asking if they had anything like bud. He realized early that there was little appreciation for the beer itself from the target audience at the time because all they cared about was getting drunk.

From then on he let the business grow from the base of those who really appreciated it and recommended it to others. If being mainstream means having a dedicated fan base that grew gradually and then had others jump on the bandwagon because they were offered the chance to do a tv show then I don't think they mind.

Lantern, luwak, LeRose and 3 others like this.
  34. I rarely "pound" my craft beer...I like to enjoy it. That must've been pretty discouraging. Imagine chugging a 120 in a few seconds?

35. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

For those of you who don't like Dogfish Head. What would you rather they do differently? Do they not make any styles you like? Don't make enough styles? The beers just doesn't taste good?

36. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

Don't forget about Stone and their multiple rejections to VC offers. They're constantly expanding, therefore they MUST be terrible too.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  37. Some people just need to hate, leave it at that.

YogiBeer likes this.
  38. I respect what Sam's done to promote craft beer, but I do not like his beer. In general I find his beers sweet with an unrefined flavor I can't pinpoint and it's in everything I drink from DFH. I get the same instant headache from DFH beers that get from Belgium beers.

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.