1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head & Sierra Nevada Collaboration: Rhizing Bines

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by cneville, Sep 13, 2012.

1. I was overwhelmingly disappointed with this.. I know we didnt get an old batch or anything, but it was all malt and very little hop aroma/flavor. I should have got a six of Sucks instead.
    skinsfan likes this.
  2. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

The reviews are not great :( I'm still gonna try this, but the press release full of goobly goo hop infusion fanciness now just seems gimmicky and moot.
    cjoc83 and skinsfan like this.
  3. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Good point. Never would have thought DFH and SN could collaborate on such a blah beer. Everything is worth trying, but at the $16 I spent for it I feel like I got screwed
    skinsfan likes this.
  4. Anyone know where you can get this on tap? I'm wondering how different it will be than in bottles, as I was dissapointed in the hoppiness
  5. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I had it at Churchkey on Saturday night, not sure if it is still on tap there or not. I have a bottle sitting in the fridge so I have not had it from the bottle yet, but i am pretty sure that on tap version is not going to change your opinion much. I was extremely disappointed when I tried it on Saturday, don't really get the beer at all. And welcome to BA by the way...
  6. yeah it was like at every whole foods and total wine
  7. I live in Chico too, where do you ever see those? All i see is pliny at S&S or Rays
  8. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Disappointed for me, also. I was hoping it was more of a Sierra Nevada beer than a DFH beer - not because I don't like DFH, but was hoping it would have the interesting flavors and taste of DFH with a West Coast/SN hop bang to it, but it ended up tasting just too malty and I did not get much hops from it for an IPA either. I don't see myself buying this one again. My beer store has 75 minute available now for $3 cheaper and that beer is much more my style.
    skinsfan likes this.
  9. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

I was at the brewery this past weekend, and tried it without ever hearing about it before. I enjoyed it enough to pick up a couple bottles.

I think the issue some reviewers have with this beer is rooted in pre-conceived notions.
    jwjon1, ESeab and Shmuffalo like this.
  10. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Yes.
    PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  11. Agreed.
  12. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) New York Apr 7, 2011

I had this on tap at the World of Beer in Evanston IL outside of Chicago, great beer!

EDIT: Maybe it was because it was on tap? I felt like I really could notice the Hop effect of both the continual hop and the Torpedo. I quite enjoyed it. Was pricy on tap but I am glad I got to try it.
  13. beerhan

beerhan Savant (395) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

I felt a little cheated by this beer. I did not really pay much attention to the bottle, I just saw life and limb and assumed since it was more or less the same design/color scheme as life and limb 2 it would be a similar beer (i.e bottled by dogfish instead of sierra nevada). 11.99 for a very average IPA, I just felt kind of ripped off. I really wish they used a very different looking bottle.
  14. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I had a bomber overnthe weekend. Nice hoppy taste but not over the top. My beer dude explained it to me that these were very new hops therefore mild. I paid 8.99 for the bomber which I thought was good.

I was not a drain pour.

I will be on a search for it this week. Put some away for later.
  15. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I brought a bomber with me to Valentines dinner at a sushi place in Pittsburgh. I intended on finishing the bottle, but it really underwhelmed me. However, listening to Sam, makes me want to try it again. I think I expected a fresh bitter hoppy beer, but it really wasn't. If I see it on draft, I'll give it a try again.
  16. My pre-conceived notion would be that it would be good. It wasn't.
    skinsfan likes this.
  17. Squidly

Squidly Savant (425) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Heh, I was referring to taste profile, but fair enough.
  18. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I agree. If I didn't go in thinking it would be a typical fresh IPA, then I doubt I would have been disappointed. It definitely has a lot of flavors.
  19. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (295) Ohio Dec 18, 2009

Had it, loved it, wouldn't pay that much for it again. Maharaja is a much bigger beer and it's cheaper.
  20. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (260) New York Oct 21, 2004

I went into drinking it not having read anything about the beer and having no expectations. I simply found it boring. I try every new beer Dogfish Head releases and sometimes they are enjoyable and sometimes not. Glad they keep innovating and as long as they keep making Palo Santo Marron, I'll be a happy Dogfish Head customer :)
  21. All joking aside, I love DFH (even vacation in Rehoboth every summer partly to enjoy the brewpub) and Sierra Nevada. Just thought it was weird tasting and very unIPA-ish and too expensive to ever have it again.
  22. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

Yeah, just Ray's and Mangrove. Ray's and Chico Natural Foods are my go-to's for beer. The Co-Op has a SICK selection right now.
  23. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

Had this on tap last saturday night and was very disappointed. Not a whole lot going on with it and I was let down by two of my favorite breweries.
  24. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

Was really excited to see it on the shelf, so had to get it despite the price, but...
    I was underwhelmed by everything about the beer but the label.
  25. 82300sd

82300sd Aficionado (155) California Dec 24, 2012

I paired this beer with a meyer lemon bar and the flavors went well together. Probably goes well with any lemony baked goods
  26. RangnaR

I wasn't expecting the sourness I picked up in it...
  27. beerhan

beerhan Savant (395) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

Was there a slug in your bottle by any chance?
    Lipsntoes likes this.
  28. bcook582

bcook582 Zealot (90) California Jan 4, 2012

its been released in upstate NY i have my brother pick up 3 bottles for me $12 each, waiting for me to fly home in 3wls from SF.
  29. watsonmd

watsonmd Savant (365) Georgia May 16, 2009

It's at Pop's in Johns Creek. Also at TW. $11.99

Last DFH I opened was Bitches Brew, which was pretty good. Before that, the Noble Rot was not at all satisfying. couldn't finish it. More like wine than beer. I am afraid to try this one, but I bought one anyway....

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/dogfish-head-sierra-nevada-rhizing-bines/130997750
  30. RangnaR

No, but a fellow hophead tried a bottle, and noted a slight sourness to it, as well...
  31. NixonsHead

NixonsHead Aspirant (45) Maryland Aug 1, 2011

I tried it on tap last night at the Judges Bench in Ellicott City, MD. Great beer bar. (I mention it just to say I believe it was handled and served with care)

It was completely disappointing as an Imperial IPA. Not hoppy at all.
  32. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

Ok, just tried for the first time. Was ready to hate it, due to this thread. But I think it is a very drinkable beer! Great, sweet IPA. Sort of like a sweeter, lighter Torpedo. With so many strong IPAs in th emarket these days though, Rhizing Bines will probably get bad mouthed quite a bit.
    Mgm54 likes this.
  33. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Savant (295) New York Dec 23, 2010

Just had my first glass this afternoon at keystone pub in Allentown PA... Not what i expected but very very tasty.
  34. Had this last weekend. As man others have commented, it was certainly not what I expected. I would have thought a torpedo hopped beer would have big hop flavor, not so with this. I would drink it again if it was half the price.
  35. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (470) New York Jan 24, 2013

I wonder if there are multiple batches of this out there, because peoples reviews are all over the place. I tasted no hops at all, it almost had a Brett\wild ale feel to it. I enjoyed it, but a DIPA it was not.
  36. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (100) New York Sep 13, 2012

I think I know how my first girlfriend felt, "fine, I'll do this but I know I am not going to enjoy it"
    rjacobs6, afrokaze and BeerRollups like this.
  37. Really disliked this beer and at $15 a btl, I felt violated. Who stole the hops ?
    willbm3 likes this.
  38. 57md

57md Savant (475) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

Tried Rhizing Bines already. Sorry to say, but it was mediocre.
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  39. brywhite

brywhite Savant (345) California Aug 27, 2009

I was excited to try it too. Oddly sweet with no real hop presence except a faint "SN Pale Ale" taste on the finish. I don't understand how it had a big head but low carbonation - kinda gross and hard to swallow. I paid 13.99 for the bottle and (gladly) drain poured most of it.
  40. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Aficionado (210) Maine Sep 16, 2012

Big disappointment. Exactly the same as a 90 min. DFH has burned me for the last time on an overpriced bomber...