1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada unveil plans for Rhizing Bines

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cjoc83, Feb 7, 2013.

1. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Sorry if this has already been posted before, but I didn't see anything about it on the forums. This is the latest Life and Limb iteration, and it looks fantastic! To be released through Dogfish Head's distribution (since the first L&L were distributed through SN's distro) "sometime in February". Can't wait!

azureoval, jman005 and Sokool like this.
  2. KickbacksSteve

KickbacksSteve Savant (350) Florida Jan 31, 2009

Awesome video with a hilarious ending!

Providence likes this.
  3. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Very awesome.
    Thanks.

4. Haha. That was a funny ending. But those two guys are so incredibly inspirational, they've done a lot for the beer community over the years.

Providence likes this.
  5. smo

smo Aficionado (175) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

Really good video, love the informality and just overall fun demeanor of these guys!

Thanks for sharing!

6. Awesome video! Makes yah wanna go to DFH and have a few with Sam

7. One of my life goals is to have a brew or two with Sam. It needs to happen.

Providence likes this.
  8. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

I'm looking extremely forward to trying this new brew. After hearing both these guys' commentary on the combination of ingredients being used, I instantly wanted to get my hands on some. I can only hope that GA doesn't get shafted, although I'm sure it will make its way down in due time like most DFH offerings.

9. cjoc83

I agree. The fact that hops from the guy from SN's family farm and barley and wheat from Sam's family farm are making it's way into the beer, plus the 2 distinctive malts, PLUS the fact that the beer is being 'torpedoed' (which I never knew existed until now) makes me want this beer that much more. I think it's awesome when breweries can locally source ingredients. And an "experimental" hop varietal! I hope I can snag at least a bottle or 2 of this stuff when it comes out...

10. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

With Life & limb I could easily acquire it (and did) through the Sierra Nevada distribution. I understand that DFH wants to take thier turn , just sucks that thier distribution is weak compared to Sn.
    ISO. :)

11. cjoc83

I think it's fair that they're taking turns, though. Obviously, the area right around the brewery gets preferential treatment, and although some L&L made it's way to the east coast, I didn't see any the first time around (although I wasn't into hunting down beer at the time, so that probably played a bigger role). Being in the Philly area, I'm sure I'll have much more access to the beer, which I'm stoked about. DfH has a pretty big distribution network though, 26 states (as per Sam's comment in the video), so even if you don't find any, it shouldn't prove too difficult to trade for.

12. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

Any chance you'd be willing to part with some via a trade if you have regular access and us poor guys down in Georgia end up empty handed ;)

13. cjoc83

Granted I can find more than 2 bottles (which I don't foresee being a problem, but won't know until it hits the shelves), absolutely. BM me.

gwdavis likes this.
  14. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Watching this vid, I really wanna love BOTH breweries. While neither has consistently been in my Top 10, I would always choose SN's westside hops over DFH's eastside malts.
    So... I ran to Total and picked up a FRESH 90min and Toronado. The Toronado was MUCH cheaper, and much better.
    I guess my input is simply that I hope Sierra's delicious hop-forward character has a positive influence on DFH's predictably sweet, malty "eastside" brews. We'll ALL be the better for it.

15. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Damn you Dogfish Head for not distributing anywhere near North Dakota! :mad:
    Not like it would put stress on their beer output, there's only 45 people in the state.

16. Ha ha. Yeah, I was bummed to see it pulled out of Rhode Island. We're one million strong up in here!

17. cjoc83

Yeah, I was kind of surprised myself when they pulled out of RI, given the outcry from people from there when they did. I guess it just wasn't selling enough? And @GFG, there only being 45 people in ND is probably on of the main reasons they don't distribute there...it's not worth it to them if they're not moving bottles.

18. Here's my theory: There's two huge liquor stores with awesome beer selections a mere 15 minutes from Providence and many other surrounding RI towns. I have a feeling those stores are the "home base" for many craft geeks in RI. The issue is, those stores are actually in Mass. So the revenue and numbers goes to them, not RI.

I am probably way off base with this, but it makes sense to me! Ha ha.