1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dogfish Head to release Rosabi, an Imperial Pale Ale with a touch of wasabi

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Cubatobaco, May 15, 2014.

1. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I just received this from their newsletter:

This June, we’re releasing Rosabi, a well-hopped imperial pale ale brewed with musician Julianna Barwick. As a bonus, an exclusive run of 1,000 cases will be packaged with a 10-inch record of original songs that Julianna composed using sounds from our expanded brewery.

After Julianna visited Dogfish Head late last year, our founder Sam challenged her to compose an album tracing the creation of a beer. To do so, we gave her recordings of our new equipment at work – from brewing, through fermentation, filtration and bottling – and she layered those sounds into four new songs.

“I just love Julianna’s sonic palette,” says Sam. “Her layered style reminds me of the art of brewing. Her songs are beautiful but completely unconventional, just as our beer recipes are completely nontraditional. But in the end, they are both distinct and find an adventurous community of enthusiasts."

The vivid rose hue of Rosabi comes from a combination of Munich and Caramel malts and a touch of red rice from Julianna’s home state of Louisiana. Citrusy Simcoe and Centennial feed Julianna’s love of hops, and the star of the show is her go-to ingredient: wasabi. The Japanese root adds bittering and herbal notes similar to hops, with its subtle heat creeping in after the kick of carbonation.
    SaxmanRick likes this.
  2. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Sounds pretty delicious if the wasabi isn't overdone. Finally, a beer to pair with sushi!
    SaxmanRick, cjgiant, csniezek and 7 others like this.
  3. BradenMK

BradenMK Savant (285) Ohio Sep 24, 2012

This sounds insane, but also seems like the most interesting of these musician collabs from DFH that I've heard of in a while. So what's an imperial pale ale?
  4. Say what you want about DFH, but I think Sam Caligione might be one of the coolest people in the world.
  5. Perfect timing, as I will be visiting DFH in June.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  6. jcos

jcos Aficionado (205) Maryland Nov 23, 2009

I will definitely try.
  7. Though I won't actually make a judgement until I hear the songs, on the surface this is just further solidifying DFH as the brewery that markets to hipsters in my eyes. As a musician myself (drummer) I'm slightly intrigued by the concept but don't foresee it having much artistic value. Just another way for Dogfish to deviate from the norm to get attention and therefore make sales. As for the beer itself, pass as usual.
    Sesmu and YamBag like this.
  8. I love IIPAs AND wasabi. Definite try...hope it's not as sweet as DFH 90...
  9. BradenMK

BradenMK Savant (285) Ohio Sep 24, 2012

Being brewed with rice I doubt it. It should be a little drier which should work well with the wasabi I'd think.
  10. DoubleYourD

DoubleYourD Zealot (75) Colorado May 13, 2014

I wonder if they used true wasabi or just horseradish root.
    Loganyoung, cyrushire and wrw5031 like this.
  11. Morakaton

Morakaton Savant (330) Michigan May 6, 2013

Imperial American Pale Ale?
  12. Interesting. I can't say I've heard of any other beers using wasabi. Unfortunately I don't really like the flavor of wasabi, so I'm not too keen about this brew.
  13. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

Yea, what the hell, who am I kidding? I'm going to try this.
    Loganyoung likes this.
  14. qchic

qchic Savant (430) Maryland Jul 6, 2004

Obviously, I will be having this once. The real question is, will I have it again? I'm pro-wasabi, so keeping an open mind.
    jcos and Boca-X like this.
  15. Line up all you Julianna Barwick fans!
    jbertsch and isaackaiju like this.
  16. Nedster10

Nedster10 Aficionado (185) Michigan Feb 25, 2014

Awesome, can't wait to try! Always excited to try a new flavor!
  17. RangnaR

RangnaR Savant (405) California Dec 17, 2012

I'm down! Would go nice with sushi I would think or some nice grilled ahi tuna with a ginger-heavy marinade!
    Boca-X likes this.
  18. beernuts

beernuts Aficionado (170) Virginia Jan 23, 2014

It has to be horseradish root, brewing with enough real wasabi to impart any flavor on the beer would be cost-prohibitive. People would not be able to tell the difference either, especially americans, most of whom have never had real wasabi or even know there is a difference.
    DoubleYourD likes this.
  19. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Love real wasabi, make sure to ask for it at a sushi place, the extra few dollars for it are worth it as far as I am concerned.

Definitely keen on this brew!
    Boca-X likes this.
  20. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Market to hipsters?...lol...the exact opposite...only a hipster would make that comment...;)

You say you are a drummer but I don't hear the beat... Julianna's music is more suited for a soundtrack but I'm sure you know that? My life is a soundtrack, some days it is banging away with the drums in the forefront and some days not a whimper of the skins...

I love wasabi...going to try this with some sashimi...sounds interesting enough...

Amazed at the "blanket" posts on this site.
    Beer4B and DrStiffington like this.
  21. DoubleYourD

DoubleYourD Zealot (75) Colorado May 13, 2014

That is why I posed the question. Seems like a load of horse radish for a craft brewery to use a misnomer so blatantly, but then again, nearly every sushi restaurant in the US does the same.
  22. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

The press release says "wasabi"...I wouldn't debate the use of HR until I knew for sure otherwise?

"Julianna’s love of hops, and the star of the show is her go-to ingredient: wasabi. The Japanese root adds bittering and herbal notes similar to hops, with its subtle heat creeping in after the kick of carbonation".
  23. beernuts

beernuts Aficionado (170) Virginia Jan 23, 2014

I'm not saying I know what's going into this beer, but if you go into any grocery store or even asian market, every product on the shelf labeled "wasabi" is actually horseradish.

I'm not trying to knock the beer either, I think it sounds good, I like horseradish wasabi.
    Boca-X likes this.
  24. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I'm betting it is real wasabi root that was used and not some domestic horseradish colored green or just used raw. The folks at DFH have long demonstrated their commitment to authenticity. One example is the care that has been used over the years in reconstruction of the Ancient Ales series of beers. Another is the huge palo santo wood aging tank(s) they build for their Palo Santo Marron, which has since become one of their flagship beers.
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    Ristaccia, cjgiant and Boca-X like this.
  25. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Savant (255) Texas Nov 12, 2013

DFH continues the beer with....random flavoring trend.
    How about an expansion of what DFH was originally feted for--outstanding craftsmanship of just beers.
    Back to my Sixpoint, I guess.
    beerindaglass, YamBag and Dan114 like this.
  26. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Been trying to find out whether any of the limited cases are coming to Arizona, so far nobody knows. They are in the middle of changing distributors here so it ain't looking to good. I love wasabi and am really looking forward to this.
  27. we used real wasabi roots in intermezzo, its definitely expensive but not undoable, and it definitely matters if you are looking for aroma not just the sensation of heat
  28. DFH continues to make beer that isn't made by someone else. In a market crowded with the same styles they're creating their own market by having something different.
    cjgiant, jkn09, m34josh and 5 others like this.
  29. Wtf is an imperial pale ale?
  30. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

So you dislike the beer without trying it, even though your username is a beer from the same brewery? My head asplode.
    FarmerTed likes this.
  31. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (300) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

What they're naming their new DIPAs after all of you whined that they're 'too sweet'.
    Boca-X likes this.
  32. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

33. This DFH hate is honestly getting old. Nobody's even tried this beer yet. Don't pass judgement until you have.
  34. Sorry, I should've made some points clear in my OP. Three things: 1. I hate wasabi/horseradish 2. I chose this username four years ago when my favorite beer at the time was Immort Ale. Have considered changing it many times since it is no longer my favorite beer and DFH has gone severely downhill since then 3. I didn't say I dislike it, I said "pass" because it will probably be $16 for a 750 mL and I'm sick of spending money on DFH's experimental duds. If a bar has it on draft, I might ask for a taster just to see what it's like.

I know my OP seemed (was) cynical and pessimistic but I was mainly referring to the songs and the concept behind them and how it seems like a typical Dogfish marketing tactic aimed at hipsters (see Bonnie Prince Billie YouTube video). Once again, I will make my actual judgement when I hear the songs. Until then, was just giving my two cents. Take from it what you will.
  35. 100% back this. DFH was the brewery that got me to love craft beer and still remain one of my favorite breweries. They're creative, innovative and not afraid to take risks. I thought that is what brewing new beer is all about. Isn't there a creative aspect behind this art that is brewing?

Also, the term "hipster" is essentially meaningless.

Needless to say, I'll be trying this for sure. Go DFH!
    Balls, slackattack and Fargrow like this.
  36. What are other examples of "typical Dogfish marketing tactic aimed at hipsters"?

Perhaps you're the "hipster" because you liked DFH "before they were cool/changed."

Personally I think people throw the word "hipster" around lazily as a description for people who like something they don't.
  37. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Savant (300) New Jersey Oct 29, 2011

Going to DFH next month can't wait. Love their stuff, had some Burton Baton last night, it was tremendous. Been drinking DFH for about 8 years now, and that one always seems to fall through the cracks of my purchasing habits.
  38. josmickam and Immortale25 like this.
  39. K here we go

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]
    They were actually going to create a whole line of steampunk apparel but I think they (wisely) pulled the plug. I know steampunk doesn't automatically translate to hipster but come on.
    Exhibit B:
    http://www.dogfish.com/store/barware/other-accessories/bearded-bottle-opener.htm (I actually had no idea this existed. Haha)
    Exhibit C:
    [​IMG]
    There's also Angella Peche and Evelma Punkin. Is it really necessary to name their seasonals after what seem like characters from a Wes Anderson movie?
    Exhibit D:
    [​IMG]
    I actually think this one is pretty cool, which brings me to my next point: did I ever say hipster was necessarily a bad thing? Hasn't DFH always embodied that hipster mentality of being different for the sake of being different? I just feel like they go overboard with the branding and gimmickery and they're continually leaning toward marketing to the younger demographic which happens to be the generation of the hipster. It's clear that Dogfish is about more than just the beer. It's about personality and image. That's obvious when you walk into their merch room and see the plethora of non-beer-related items for sale. It started out as Sam just having some books and trinkets in the name of his off-centered philosophy but it's spiralled out of control into ipad skins, bike socks, lip balm and even emergency info bracelets for bikers to wear if they get into an accident. Where does it end? What's the point? Yeah, I get it. They're creating their own culture and more power to them because it's obviously still bringing them success. Sometimes it results in some really cool artwork. However, it has stopped resulting in really good beer IMO and that's when I get off the bus.
    josmickam and Boca-X like this.
  40. Whats left salt water taffy kolsch or manure maibock. Just when I thought they ran out of malternative options to cover up their inability to craft a solid beer they came up with this slop.
    GetMeAnIPA, ohiobeer29 and Heady978 like this.