1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Don't wanna' open a can of worms here, but...(I Hardcore You)

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by ImperialStoat, Mar 18, 2013.

1. I just received a few bottles of the latest batch of Brewdog/Mikkeller's I Hardcore You, ostensibly bottled a few weeks ago, and it already tastes old. Certainly there's some grapefruit hop flavour, but the predominant taste is alcohol, caramel malt, and bittering hops.
    This beer used to be the exception to whatever negative words I had to say about both breweries, and I remember it being genuinely excellent. This latest batch, however, is very mediocre. Anyone else tried it?
  2. Too many disappointing beers from both breweries for me to bother with either apart from their staples.
  3. Maybe its just me but since BD opened their new brewery their beers have taken quite a slide. My last bottle of Punk, which was less than two weeks old, smelled great but was thin, hollow and one dimensional.

Sad to hear about I Hardcore You. It was excellent. At least the last time I had it it sure was.
  4. Yeah, a lack of dimensions with this beer is certainly the problem. I'd be very curious to hear your opinion if you tried it within the next few weeks.
  5. I don't think even the staples by either are worth bothering with.

Edit: 77 Lager is actually pretty good, so I take that back.
  6. Punk IPA is variable but great when its on form, never had a bad bottle of 5AM saint and Hardcore IPA hasn't missed yet either.
    I dunno what the crack is with Mikkeller, very hit n miss.
  7. Opening a bottle of punk IPA bbd 05-03-14....

Hops are quite subdued compared to other bottles I've had, metallic tang at the finish.
  8. I had some punk that was 27/02/14 on Friday and it was excellent, also had some fresh Tesco DIPA recently and that was great too, although BD might well get that brewed elsewhere.

It would be not surprising if a new brewery has some teething problems, but they need to sort it soon, especially considering their well documented sketchy quality control in the past. Anyone know what size it is out of interest? Or what size their last one was?

Do Mikkeller just get their brews done on contract?
  9. I always thought that Mikkeller was a gypsy/cuckoo brewer.
  10. According to the label on this batch of I Hardcore You it was "Brewed and Bottled by Mikkeller at Brewdog, Aberdeen, Scotland", though I don't know how that's the case considering it's supposed to be a blend of a Brewdog beer and a Mikkeller beer.
    Horseshit all-around I fear.
    Zimbo likes this.
  11. Yep it's true that Mikkeller brew beers using a variety of established breweries.
  12. Are they much different from the likes of Innis & Gunn then? Or Brooklyn when they first started at least? Not that it really matters much, good beer is good beer no matter who brews it under what name. Same for shite beer
  13. Mikkeller, you mean? No, in terms of brewing practice they're not different from Innis & Gunn at all.
  14. I seem to recall reading on FB or their blog that one of the fermentation vessels they were installing was 400 hectolitres. That's fucking huge! Imagine if a batch of beer is subpar - they've got to sell off 40000 litres of the stuff....

As for the I Hardcore You, it's a pity to hear that it's not up to scratch. I've had it twice before and thought it was fantastic.
  15. If its within my reach I'll have a go.
  16. I'm disappointed to hear that, as I was really looking forward to this beer.

Besides Beer Geek Brunch, Mikkeller is a bit over rated and greatly overpriced in most cases. Brewdog isn't too far off, but you can't beat the price of Punk and the Tesco branded Hardcore. Both brewer's issue is consistency, which will always be an issue with Mikkeller, but Brewdog doesn't really have an excuse. It's all great going against the system and what not, but when Brewdog is obviously trying to be as big as other corporate brewers they need to study up. Budweiser my be a tasteless shit lager, but no matter where it is brewed, it is exactly like the one brewed in St. Louis.
  17. I've always found that BD beers underwhelm me , they seriously underperform for their strength.The 77 lager is a pleasant drink but it reminds me of a 3,5% pale mild , the Rip Tide lacks middle and the Tesco Double IPA , though enjoyable, had less character than some beers I've had at little more than half the strength.In my simple view the justification for brewing 8 or 9% ABV is because the extra ingredients carry extra flavour and this just wasn't happening. British brewing, as Garrett Oliver says, in unparalleled in getting flavours from low gravity beers yet this is going in reverse.
    RendoMike likes this.
  18. I actually found the Beer Geek beers underwhelming, and the others I've had to be really nice. Drink in the Sun 12 (at 1.9% marquis) was really nice, as was Maraton Ol at 3%. Spontanwildstrawberry was pretty great too, though a bit expensive. Also Black Hole Cognac was very good too.
    RendoMike likes this.
  19. A bit like Guinness right? Or is it actually an "experience" to drink Guinness from the brewery?
  20. I heard that the Guinness served at the end of the brewery tour is exceptionally bad.
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  21. I should have stated Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, the rest of them were meh. I favor IPAs / Stouts when I'm looking to drink non-session beer, otherwise I mainly stick to bitters and pale ales. I've never had any of their sours or fruit beers. I don't think I had Black Hole Cognac, but the other Black Holes seemed lacking for what they were suppose to be.
    Yes and no. Guinness is much better over here usually, but I think that's more about freshness and the dispensing method. As someone who actually likes Guinness as a session beer on occasion, Guinness in the states comes off way too bitter usually, like bad coffee.
  22. I can honestly say that the Guinness at the end of the brewery tour was lovely. Maybe it was just me paying more attention to a beer I hadn't drank in an age but it had a more roasty nutty bitterness to it. It must be the Liffey water....

;)
  23. Well unlike many English rivers it's only been used as a toilet since the Vikings
  24. Sorry to hear I Hardcore U is disappointing some. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Last month I had a Twitter DM chat with someone at the brewery and mentioned that I thought it was a brilliant beer. They kind of alluded to it coming back.
  25. Completely agree with you about the lack of middle in Rip Tide and IMHO its becoming more of a problem with more of their 'main line' beers. Punk IPA is a case in point when I was hoping there would be return to quality when the contract brewing (presumably) ended.
  26. If Garret Oliver says so .. CHRIST lets follow !!!
    Hopbomber, GeezLynn and Aye like this.
  27. New Camra campaign

Lionel Richie says yes to cask.
    [​IMG]

He's on the bitter all night long
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  28. Hello? Is it Mild you're looking for?
    GeezLynn and ImperialStoat like this.
  29. Easy Like Sunday Morning (Because I Don’t Have A Hangover After Drinking Real Ale)

One, Two, Three Times A Gallon
    GeezLynn and EmperorBevis like this.
  30. I picked up Libertine Black Ale & Hello My Name is Ingrid to see what the slightly more expensive than standard range of Brewdog is like
    Ingrid was was quite good, not too disimilar to my memories of hardcore when it came out
    Libertine sucked! It sucked massive donkey balls.
  31. Ingrid is a curious brew. I like that you can actually taste the berry component.
    EmperorBevis likes this.
  32. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

The dispensing method is the same in the states as it is across the pond. Both on nitro, and I don't think freshness is really an issue with something that is pasteurized and on nitro to boot...or at least I can not tell the difference in freshness between pasteurized kegs.
  33. Have to realize, I haven't lived in the states in 10 years, so it might be better now. I know for a fact the bar I was a bartender at served Guinness on the same CO2 system as the other beers. This was a bar that served many craft beers at the time.
  34. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

LOL, I don't think I have ever seen regular Guinness Draught that was not on nitro. I am not a fan, but certainly understand that some people do enjoy it. Though a CO2 GD sounds horrid.
  35. T
    the bottles of I hardcore you and the new I beat you that I had were both superb