1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Double Black Release

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by MykelJH, Mar 15, 2013.

1. It's only possible to pick it up at the struise headquarters in oostvleteren?
    or do they also ship it when you place an order?

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

They sell it via their webshop, the brewery and their shop in Bruges. Most of their bottles are distributed to beer shops throughout the country, but these super exclusives ones aren't.

3. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

webshop has been down for me for the past week or so...same for everyone else who checks daily?

Michigan likes this.
  4. yes, webshop hasnt worked for me in weeks

5. hope it's going online soon. keep checking it every day

6. Are you able to get to their webshop? I just get a "deprecated" error message.

7. i have a feeling its not going on any time soon.

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. Dennoman

Even if it is, I can't imagine it being online for much longer. I've literally heard nothing but negative reports from the guys themselves. Alvinne had a kickass webshop running, but they had to close it down because it was literally not worth all the time and effort they put into it. The tricky thing about a decent webshop is that you'll hardly ever LOSE money from it, but you have to make a LOT of profit before the sheer workload you invest in it, becomes remotely interesting.

9. great points, to add to that the inception of the webshop was at a time when many beers, include struise were sold on ebay for a large markup so struise setup shop in order to undercut the speculative sellers and go direct to consumer. times and a bit different now. also, it became clear when they got hacked last year that upkeeping the shop is serious business.

10. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I would unfortunately agree. About six weeks ago Urbain said that they hadn't "eised" it yet. Something about the equipment being transported from the old site to the schoolhouse.

11. Yes, i love struise beers. But today everybody wants to buy it. And i don't have the feeling that They often brew new beers.

12. SStein

SStein Savant (360) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

They are great beers, just a pain to get ahold of sometimes. I usually try to make a trip to the school house every 2 months or so, but the last 2 times I have gone there hasn't been much to buy.

13. Dennoman

For those still interested!

I managed to have a nice long chat with Urbain, and I asked him about the DB release.

Due to this winter's exceedingly long period of frost, construction work on the schoolhouse was delayed by a matter of at least ten weeks. Struise wanted to put the Eisbock rig there and move it from Deca, but with construction taking place, they had no room for it. From what I understand, they want total control over the process rather than having to keep wasting good Cuvée Delphine on failed batches of Double Black. They don't have the keys to Deca, so they can't intervene in case of emergency. A few more hours than planned will already ruin a batch, which is exactly what's happened a couple times now.

They expect to be doing their first test brews with the new system at the schoolhouse by July 1st. If that works out well, which Urbain fully expects it will, they should be back in full force somewhere in July.

So yeah, don't expect any releases to happen before the summer.

More stuff was said, but this is the stuff everyone's been dying to know :)

14. Thanks Dennis, you're the man!

15. I'm very looking forward to this one; never tasted it before. But me and my two craft beer pals were able to get our hands on 5 of these new BD's.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if there will be a complete new line of Black Damnation, since BD1 used to be the Black Albert / Hel & Verdoemenis blend.

16. Where you get this???

17. In a Belgium store. They only got 5 bottles of this one, 3 bottles of Rio Reserva, so we bought them all. They got it at Struise.