1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Downtown Seattle - Best spot for good food and beer selection

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by sarcastro, Oct 22, 2012.

1. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I will be staying at the Westin in downtown for one night. What is the best place in that immediate area, preferably walking distance, for good food and good beer selection? If nothing great in the immediate, how about further out?
  2. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I work across the street from the Westin. The taphouse is a block away but I don't like that place. I would suggest walking the one mile north (up 6th then right on Westlake) up to The Wurst Place. Always something good on tap and amazing brats. They even have Matt and Caftw in bottles for sale but are $28. :(

Cheers!
  3. There are too many really but some that are not too far from the Westin are: The Pine Box, Brave Horse Tavern, , Collins Pub, Elysian Brewing cap hill or fields location, the Tap House Grill is ok it has lots of good beer but it is pricey. Outside of downtown Brouwers Cafe is one of the best but there are many others, check out the seattle places page for more options: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/18
  4. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I checked out the places page. Nothing looked that great downtown, so I thought I would reach out. Thanks for the replies.
  5. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

I'd say grab a cab and head to Brouwers. You won't regret it
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Well, depending on his server/bartender he might. But he will not be disappointed in the beer and food.
    bifrost17 likes this.
  7. Walk directly to Wild Ginger for dinner. You can order from the full dinner menu in the bar. They have a decent but not great taplist. After dinner, walk to Collins Pub. Those two spots will fulfill your wants and needs for good food and beer selections.
  8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You guys know what downtown Seattle desperately needs? A really great beer bar. The central core really is kind of a beer desert. The square footage is probably just too expensive.
    beertunes and checktherhyme like this.
  9. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Not particularly unusual though - good luck trying to find something to drink in the central districts of Chicago, New York, etc. Touristy junk seems to do better in urban centers - we're lucky enough to be able to walk up the hill to the pine box or down towards Collins Pub.

You know what Seattle really needs? More breweries in Ballard!
  10. draheim

What about all the tourists staying downtown who want a really good beer? Is Taphouse Grill really the best we can do?
  11. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Unless he's physically impaired, a short walk to Elysian Capitol Hill or Pine Box isn't that far.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  12. rousee

rousee Advocate (510) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

I stayed at the Westin when I was there a year or so ago and I wasnt too big on Taphouse grill either but I did really like the Brooklyn Steak and Seafood place. We also hit the Elysian up on Capitol Hill and I liked that quite a bit also.
  13. draheim

Never thought I'd see the day when a PNW BA would imply we have enough places to buy beer.
    The market isn't saturated until there's a beer bar, bottle shop, or brewpub next door to every Starbucks, dammit.
    tozerm and bifrost17 like this.
  14. NWer

:)
    I didn't say we had enough. Just that there are places that are easily accessible.
    Not like Portland though. Great places right downtown - Deschutes & Bailey's come to mind.
  15. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

All kidding aside, the Seattle beer scene is far from saturated imho. If it was, Elysian wouldn't be able to open up three locations and Fremont would need to offer its patrons more than a couch on a concrete floor.
    draheim likes this.
  16. draheim

Apparently you haven't been to Fremont's new Urban Beer Garden. Now they have a row of wooden bleachers too!
    leedorham likes this.
  17. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Now that's just too posh for my tastes. What's next, adding free peanuts to go with the pretzels?!
    beertunes likes this.
  18. draheim

Apples. My daughter ate two of them on Saturday while I was sucking down some Cowiche Canyon and The Brother.
    distantmantra likes this.
  19. Boultman

Boultman Aspirant (35) Texas Sep 14, 2011

The wife and I went to Seattle and Portland in late July. Stayed at the Silver Cloud in Capitol Hill, and was about 3-4 blocks from Elysian. Highly agree with the people that suggested walking up hill to get to it. Plus they will have their excellent pumpkin beers on draft this time of year, if that is your thing.
    We also noticed the lack of good beer bars in the downtown area. We were very glad we stayed in Capitol Hill with the bars, food and music scene.
    Made it to the OBF in Portland on that trip... excellent.
  20. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Pinebox in Capital Hill. Good food and a great tap list.
  21. Collins is on 2nd and Yesler, that's downtown in my book. Unless Pioneer Square is considered separate from whatever downtown is these days.
  22. draheim

It's separate in my book. Any area that has its own name (Pioneer Square, ID, Belltown) is outside the central downtown core.

Yes, there are good spots within walking distance but most visitors staying at the big hotels downtown don't have a lot to choose from within a few blocks of where they're based. Now that the free ride zone is gone, options are even more limited.
    beertunes likes this.
  23. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I disagree. We need a beer spot on each side of, and across the street from, every Mermaid Coffee!
    draheim likes this.
  24. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

25. whiskey

whiskey Savant (330) California Feb 25, 2012

I went to The Pine Box when I made my recent trip because they had Hop Venom on tap. It was cool, great beer, low hipster level and pretty good food.
  26. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

If you aren't from the area and a shit ton of beer is what you are after, then the Taphouse isn't a bad choice. I liked it for that reason when I visited. Got to try a lot of great regional beers and it was very close to my hotel. That being said, Pine Box and Elysian were a pretty easy walk and both were much better places as far as ambiance is concerned.
  27. NWer

Bambino's! That's it! Thanks for mentioning it. It was recommended once before and I forgot the name of the place before I had a chance to check it out.
  28. I guess you can try Taphouse Grill if you like beer from dirty taplines, d-bag clientele, old IPAs, and a windowless locale. If all those things are a good time for you, by all means hit up Taphouse.

If you don't mind walking 10 minutes, go to Collins Pub or Bambino's. Another ten minute walk from Bambino's gets you to Wurst Place and/or Brave Horse Tavern. From Collin's Pub, another 5 minute walk gets you to Elysian Fields. All of these without any change in grade. If you can handle a little uphill walk, you can get to Pine Box and Elysian Capitol Hill.
    beertunes, NWer and 66jzmstr like this.
  29. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

Wow. The beer I drank there was fine. Probably tried about 8 IPAs. Draft lines did not seem dirty and the beer was quite fresh. Perhaps I got lucky.
  30. juankzas

juankzas Aficionado (230) Mexico Jun 13, 2008

You can also go to Pear Deli at Pike Place Market. Westlake Whole Foods is also very close to your hotel
  31. whiskey

Yeah, the clientele seemed douchie to me to at the Taphouse. Also, I found more beers I liked at a few bars with 20 taps than I could find there with 150.

Also, Elysian fields is a cool spot, but they're only open when there's a game and they close early(learned this after two unsuccessful trips there).
  32. I didn't know that --- just confirmed on their website. In retrospect, I guess I've only gone there on game days.
  33. Are sure about Elysian Fields they say they are open weekdays at 11:00AM and weekends at 11:30AM and to call for information about special hours for game days and events. http://www.elysianbrewing.com/elysianfields.html
    I walk by all the time and it seems to be always open. I guess call ahead for anyone really wanting to go...
  34. whiskey

Not 100%. We went on a Saturday night at 8pm, took a a cab there and got out and there wasn't a soul inside and all their patio chairs were on top of the tables(it was 65 outside but we didn't check the door).

Went to the Cowboys/Seahawks game on Sunday and went that night at 10pm and it was closed.

The taxi driver told us they were only open game days. Yeah, I know, a taxi driver...but he knew exactly where every Elysian pub was so he seemed credible.

OK, I just called and the chick on the phone said that they're really slow on non game days and that they close before 8 on Saturdays fairly regularly...she said it depends on business.
  35. Elysian Fields is open on non-game days, but perhaps their hours change when there's no game. They definitely do not do happy hour on game days. Still a solid place, though.