1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Draft Darkness in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by readbaron, Nov 7, 2012.

1. readbaron

readbaron Savant (355) Illinois May 12, 2010

I imagine it's a tad early for it to start showing up, but it seemed like everybody and their brother got a keg last year, and I'm already craving a glass. I'd be much obliged if people could post any tappings they know of.

Also, when is FFF's going to get their act together and release some kegs of Dark Lord? (I know - never. But seriously - if Surly can ship kegs all over, why can't FFFs share some love?)

thetomG likes this.
  2. I think they bottle nearly all of it rather than holding any for kegs. When I've gone to tastings/special events where Dark Lord is being served, it has always come via bottles, best I can recall.

3. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (155) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

3F did send some Dark Lord kegs to CCB's Hunaphu Day earlier this year.

4. Darkness has been at multiple bars across Chicago the past 2 years, so I would guess it will show up in the next couple of weeks.

5. Do they bottle and sell Darkness around Chicago? I had it last year via draft, but would love to get some bottles.

6. EROCK75

EROCK75 Savant (340) Illinois Aug 5, 2009

Darkness bottles, like all Surly canned and bottled brews, are only sold in MN. Hence all the out of town people at Darkness day, like me. :D

Jkoeneman and jegross2 like this.
  7. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

3F dark lord gueze?

BrettHead and damngoode like this.
  8. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

I'll believe it when I see it.

9. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

You'll see it if you know where to look...

kawilliams81 likes this.
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Or just follow Dontcounttoday's posts.

Treebs, funhog, burica2020 and 2 others like this.
  11. JPortillo

JPortillo Savant (310) Illinois Mar 12, 2012

If anyone finds darkness on tap in chicago please let me know.

12. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

That's how I will know! I've gone to the same place for the last couple of years and got multiple pours over a couple day period. Hope they get some again this year.

Dontcounttoday and thetomG like this.
  13. thetomG

thetomG Savant (430) Illinois Feb 17, 2010

What he said. I'm guessing it won't be too hard to track down once it arrives...

DARKNESS! DARKNESS IS SPREADING!

14. I was wondering why I had 6 new followers today. Well I know where it should be tapping and ill make sure to inform everyone after a few days if milking it

redsand22, readbaron and dsal89 like this.
  15. well that is depressing. guess i'll be searching for draft's here in the city!

16. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (460) Montana Aug 7, 2010

I had Darkness on tap at Jake Melnick's of all places in 2010. Really strange to find that beer at that bar.

17. I had it last year at Fountainhead. One of my favorite Chicago bars. Just recently had Zombie Dust on Cask there.....unbelievable and way too easy to drink!

18. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (480) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

darkness is good stuff, but imo stone's irs is better, cheaper, and easier to get my grubby mitts on.

19. sgoro

sgoro Savant (395) Illinois Jul 15, 2010

Had unlimited pours at Local Option and Publican last year. Both were towards the end of December.

jegross2 likes this.
  20. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

It was tapped at Map Room last year. I bet we'll see a few tappings this year as well.

21. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (345) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

22. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Jegross 2.0

yamar68 and immobilisme like this.
  23. I am not sure about Jegross' past posts on such a thing but I was kidding. If its on tap anywhere, I will probably make a post as soon as I get a seat and have a drink in hand. That is how I usually share with the community and would hope it does not seem selfish.

24. Bavarian Lodge usually taps it on Black Friday I do declare.

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  25. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Haha, I knew you were kidding. My post was also a joke. I always forgot to include that stupid fucking winky face. ;);););)

26. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Yea was a good time last year going from Goose Island Black Friday > Bav Lodge Black Friday. Don't think I'll be in any shape to do that this year if they happen to get another keg and tap it on Black Friday. Unfortunately, I think they finished off the rest of their Surly cellar stash last year as well.

Cheers!

27. Redpac

Redpac Aficionado (145) Illinois Aug 27, 2009

They had it in 2011 as well. They do get some awesome beer, they just don't do a great job of promting it when they get it.

28. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Agreed. They often have good things go through there. Darkness is news to me though... I enjoyed BA Ten Fidy earlier this year there...

29. Gonzoillini

Which made it a hidden gem for those of us who work downtown. Was nothing like getting off of work and grabbing some barbecue and having a couple of great beers. They also had a phenomenal cask beer event last year that wasn't packed, but was still a blast.

Cheers!

30. readbaron

readbaron Savant (355) Illinois May 12, 2010

Do they advertise said events anywhere? (Twitter, BA, their own site? This downtown working BA would like to know.) Gracias in advance.

31. Gonzoillini

I am on their email list, but honestly I heard about all the events I went to via word of mouth. Used to chat up the beer guy when I would come in and he would alert me to this or that. I would stay tuned to our local chatter on BA / the events section of BA just to see.

Certainly a different approach in 2012, but they were always busy so they are doing something right.

Cheers!

32. DROOO

DROOO Aficionado (205) Illinois May 5, 2009

2 out of my last 3 visits there have been less than impressive due to staff.

33. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (340) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

U are correct on that sir. Not to thread jack but... has anyone heard what's going on at the Bav Lodge for Black Friday this year?

34. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I agree, although we had the same shitty server! Good beers though.

35. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Agree with most people above... if anyone is getting it, it will surely be Bavarian Lodge, Map Room, and Jake Melnick's.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it the day after FOBAB at Map Room's anniversary.

36. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I'll rep the N burbs by throwing out the two I'm aware of: Firkin and Durty Nellie's

37. markrmoser

markrmoser Savant (255) Illinois Jun 27, 2010

+1 above, Durty Nellie's did have it on tap last year!

38. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (230) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

yup... Firkin's had it atleast for the last 3 years...

39. jegross2

I have 0 obligation to tell everyone about where a beer is being tapped Treebs. That's Dontcounttoday's job. Don't be a hater.

40. jegross2

I do know that Map Room, Local Option, Kuma's, Sheffields and Publican had it last year. I imagine they will all have it again this year -- especially Kuma's