1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Draft Darkness in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by readbaron, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Ahh Kumas. This month's burger is my favorite, the Sleep. That + Darkness and I cannot miss it. I don't get over there enough for living as close to it as I do. I don't usually associate them to having rare tappings, but I'll keep my eye out.

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (490) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

i live within walking distance but i never go there because i don't want to plan an entire day around a burger. after eating there many times, i decided that their burgers are great but they don't justify a two hour wait, and the beer is never anything i can't find elsewhere.

TotallyHosed likes this.
  3. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

That's why you drink there or at square bar while waiting

4. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (355) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

exactly. Square Bar was the best thing to happen to Kuma's patrons.

jegross2 likes this.
  5. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (250) Illinois May 2, 2011

Last year Small Bar and Banger's & Lace had it on tap.

6. jln83

jln83 Zealot (95) Illinois Mar 6, 2012

Three Ace's had it last year too.

7. Three Aces disappointed the crap out of me over the summer. BCBS and BCBVS were both on tap, as well as Scarlet over the period of a few weeks. It lasted so long because they don't update their website very well, wasn't much word of it on here, and their tap lines kept going down because they couldn't keep them cool in 100+ degree heat. Even when the taps were running all the beer was very warm and had been warm for some time it seemed. Scarlet was awful, the BCBS and Vanilla were ok but can be served at room temp. Also the bartenders had no idea the difference between regular BCBS and Vanilla and couldn't tell me which I was drinking twice.

The one time we ate there the food was fantastic though, I must say, but I hate the way they treat their beer. Sorry for the rant

8. tbaiza

tbaiza Aficionado (100) Illinois Jun 2, 2009

Does anyone know who handles the distribution for Darkness in Chicago? I understand Surly doesn't get distributed out of Minnisoota, but I am oh so curious about this.

9. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Surly used to go through Windy City, but I don't know how it works these days. Probably the same?

10. Kwaz

Kwaz Aficionado (165) Illinois Mar 31, 2012

Hopefully you don't need the bartenders to tell you which is which ;)

funhog likes this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

When they're pouring you the same beer despite you asking for two different beers, how would you know?!!?11

Oh yeah, taste.

12. The problem is calling ahead to ask if Vanilla is still on tap and being told yes. I brought 3 friends that had never had it, we sit down and order, and no one can taste Vanilla at all. Still amazing of course, but disappointing, and they swore it was vanilla. I went in the next day and another bartender told me it had tapped out a few days previous.

13. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Is the vanilla still present though? I mean I expected most of it to fade over two years. I think we can all be the judge of that on black friday in a few weeks I guess, but i have a feeling 2010 vanilla is now 2010 BCBS.

14. tinypyramids

Yes it is present, and it's glorious.

Dontcounttoday and burica2020 like this.
  15. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (155) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

I plan entire business trips around Kumas! I love that place and since I live eight hours away, I look forward to every trip to Chicago and figuring out how to schedule a Kumas visit.

Hopefully I can get there this weekend when I come up for FoBAB.

16. I've had Vanilla on tap 3 times this year and opened 2 bottles myself. The bottles were both beautifully flavorful with rich vanilla. Same thing with 2 of the 3 taps. A single tapping I had was very faded but still present. BCBVS if cellared correctly are still drinking ng great

17. Was that faded tapping the one at fountainhead? Since it was the only time I have had vanilla I have no reference but I did find the vanilla rather hard to pick up that day.

18. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Just hard to imagine a spice not fading after two years. But haven't had any since the original release so hard to compare.

19. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I was thinking the Cobra Lounge tapping, myself. Had it there and the vanilla was present, no doubt. But the next night, I had Bourbon County 2011 somewhere and it really blew away the BCBVS in the vanilla dept, and every other department.

The first night was like vanilla on top of a very good beer, the second night was a phenomenal beer that had even more vanilla integrated into it.

20. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

I had Darkness at Small Bar (Division) last year or the year before as well as Map Room. Very good but not so great as to require large amounts of effort to consume, in my opinion.

21. Just posted on facebook by SmallBar:

22. foobula

foobula Savant (340) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

dislike :(

23. readbaron

readbaron Savant (365) Illinois May 12, 2010

Gaaah! Say it ain't so.

24. Lansman

Lansman Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

The relationship Todd has with those at Northdown Cafe is such that if anyone will have Darkness on tap in Chicago (SmallBar Tweet to the contrary), Northdown will be it.

25. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (280) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

I'm driving down to Chicago from MPLS tonight and have a few extra bottles in the fridge. I'd be willing to mule a few down if someone is really desperate to try it (BM me.) It IS worthy of the hype, IMO.

Surly definitely increased production of it this year. It was not hard to find here in the Twin Cities but it did disappear within a few days. Surly is building a new brewpub, so hopefully output will increase in the coming years for it to achieve a greater reach.

ravot and readbaron like this.
  26. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

I haven't seen it on tap anywhere and I've had places tell me that it isn't coming to Chicago this year? Why not? if it has the past 4 years why would surly not send a few kegs our way if they upped production?

27. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

how dare they!

28. Surly is going to Chicago. Monday, November 12th, the Surly Crew will be at the Hopleaf and Map Room pouring Darkness. Tuesday, November 13th, the Surly Crew will be at Clark Street Ale House, Small Bar – Division, Kuma’s Corner and Sheffields. After that, you will be able to find our tap beer at a few bars in Chicago. More details to follow about the events. FYI, our distibutor in Chicago is Windy City Distribution – 630.809.1748.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/newsblog/?p=228

BreakingBad likes this.
  29. Post 228.. most recent post 1027

MarkIntihar likes this.
  30. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,035) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Yeah - I was going to ask what year that was from...

31. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (365) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Well damn!! We missed the boat on that one. It's the 15th today. Long gone by now! ;)

BreakingBad likes this.
  32. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (275) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

Contact Us

Surly Brewing Co.
    4811 Dusharme Dr.
    Brooklyn Center, MN 55429

(763) 535-3330

yamar68 likes this.
  33. mishuggah

mishuggah Savant (275) Illinois Jul 14, 2009

Perhaps you can ask the question "How does brewery release only beers affect craft beer and why does stone chose not to do them?" as well.

FlssmrBrewAlum likes this.
  34. jegross2

Told ya Kumas would get some

BreakingBad likes this.
  35. jegross2

According to Kumas, their keg of Darkness has not been tapped yet.

BreakingBad likes this.
  36. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

o_O

37. nucmedmario

nucmedmario Savant (330) Illinois Sep 1, 2010

the last monday, november 12th was in 2007.

38. tinypyramids

the post is from 2007.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/newsblog/?m=200710

39. jegross2

Egg on face. Oops

40. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (285) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

Bacon, cheddar and egg on face meat, on top of delicious burger...