1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Draft Darkness in Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by readbaron, Nov 7, 2012.

1. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Fun fact - they literally adopted the name after watching that bit.

thetomG likes this.
  2. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Anyone sitting in a quiet bar drinking this and not telling anyone? Anyone have insight into any bars getting a keg?

3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

As someone who has no inside info on any bars getting Darkness this year: enjoy your Darkness in peace, everyone.

4. I am pretty sure it is in fact not being distributed to Chicago this year for whatever reason. It is usually here by now.

5. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

6. Bavarian Lodge said they did not get a keg of Darkness this year (like everywhere else), and they have gotten a keg of it every year before? So, not sure why Surly wouldn't send kegs this year? I think it is odd considering once their new brewery is up and running (hopefully sometime before 2030) they would start distributing in IL!

7. aefbjo

aefbjo Savant (275) Bahamas Jun 8, 2005

I keed, I keed. I was kind of surprised that there *were* kegs of Darkness here the past couple years, since Surly *doesn't* distribute here. So it was a pleasant surprise, and not to be expected every year, no?

8. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

This is bad news indeed. I always thought it was cool of Surly to hook up the Chicago market with a healthy amount of Darkness tappings (unlike FFF has done w/ Dark Lord*).

* Props to FFF for the post-FOBAB Vanilla BA Dark Lord tapping in Chicago

9. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

It's on tap in my apartment, but only because I have a metric fuckton. It's the only beer I have more than 6 of in the cellar thats not named Bourbon County Stout.

10. readbaron

readbaron Savant (345) Illinois May 12, 2010

So you mean I'm now following dontcounttoday for no reason? Sonofa...

Dontcounttoday and otrejo like this.