1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Draft Saison

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TNGabe, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Is it just me, or is a saison on tap never as good as it is bottled?
  2. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Never had this problem. In fact, I think Saison Dupont is better on draft.
  3. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I think pretty much any beer is better on draft, personally.
    jRocco2021 and Providence like this.
  4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

The Hill Farmstead Anna I had on tap two weekends ago says "aaaaaabsolutely not!"
    BogleHill likes this.
  5. elchingen

elchingen Aficionado (225) Georgia Aug 16, 2009

Been loving Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace on tap even more than bottled.
  6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

It's just you. Go to trinity brewing in colorado springs, order the sliders and a couple pints of saison man and get back with me.
  7. Generally true, unless you get a bar with dirty lines or old kegs.
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Saison is one style I most prefer on draft over a bottle, personally.
  9. Can't say I have had this problem with Saisons or any other style for that matter. I have never had a beer that was better in a bottle/can than on draft.
  10. k_rhodes

k_rhodes Disciple (65) Indiana Dec 29, 2012

Saisons are really hit or miss in the first place, I think. Either fantastic or not very good at all. Maybe your draft saison is in the latter half.
  11. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Yeah, the ice water in hell probably tastes good, too. Which is to say, I'll pass on ever going to Colorado Springs again.

Guess it's just me. I always thought 2 fermentations were better than one.
    fmccormi likes this.
  12. Some beers such as saisons, sours or other bottle conditioned beers can be much better over time in bottles.

ETA: not saying those beers are always better just that they can be.
  13. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Not a fan of Colorado Springs? I bet you didn't have the sliders....
  14. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

I personally prefer bottled saisons to their draft counterparts. One big difference is carbonation. Draft beer is typically 2-3 volumes CO2, but saisons typically benefit from higher carbonation and a perceived lighter body. Bottle conditioning allows you to push 4+ volumes CO2 and accomplish this.
  15. litheum94

A lot of Belgian style ales can tend to be better out of the bottle because of the bottle condition they go through. The reason I brought up Saison Dupont earlier was that I've had some weird tasting bottles of that (dreaded green glass syndrome?). The couple of times I've had it on draft, it definitely lives up to its reputation. Definitely depends on the beer and a lot of other variables.
  16. 11.2 oz bottles of Saison Dupont are brown, not easy to find though.
  17. litheum94

I've never seen those. I'll keep my eyes open though.
  18. k_rhodes

k_rhodes Disciple (65) Indiana Dec 29, 2012

Moinette Blonde comes in 11.2 oz brown bottle conditioned bottles and it's every bit as good as a good Saison Dupont every time.
  19. It's just you.
  20. Reino

Reino Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 30, 2007

I fully agree with you. As mentioned above, the higher volume of CO2 in bottle conditioned Saisons makes for a much better Saison experience, IMO. Not to mention the other mysterious wonders bottle conditioning works on most Belgian beers. I've had the same batch of a local Belgian-style Pale side by side bottle vs. draft, and it's not even close as to which is superior. Most styles that you want to consume fresh are better on draft, but I don't think Saison is one of them.