1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Draft vs. Bottled (or canned)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by terrapinmark, Feb 9, 2013.

1. terrapinmark

terrapinmark Zealot (85) Ohio Sep 23, 2010

Do you really see a difference? Is zombie dust/pliney/whatever draft better than bottled when on an equal playing field? (equal playing field being date kegged/bottled)

My wife prefers bottled as she says she has control over the "cleanliness" of the glass the beer (bottled in this case) is being poured into to.

Discuss!

2. Hah! Points for effort, but although she has control over something that doesn't really matter (unless you drink in crappy establishments) she can't control the filtration level. Bottom line is that draught beer is about 10 times* less filtered than bottled beer, meaning that there is more good stuff in the draught beer.

* 5 micron DE filtration for draught beer (which must be refrigerated as a result) as opposed to .5 micron sterile filtration for bottled beer.

3. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Canned baby.

Unless I'm about to bottle a homebrew.
    Then I become a bottle baby.

4. RayUF07

RayUF07 Advocate (635) Florida Sep 22, 2012

Draft.

/thread

tommyz and Pelican5 like this.
  5. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (485) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

I curious as to where you get these numbers? Not that I am doubting you, but in my experience, I haven't seen the difference in filtration. Why is there a difference?

6. Draft has in my experience almost always been better. There have been exceptions.

7. They are just rough numbers, but in general that is the way it is usually done. DE ( diatomaceous earth) is used as a coarse filtration for draught beer, and doesn't remove microorganisms that can spoil it, though cold temperatures will keep them at bay for a whilee. For shelf-stable product you need a much more stringent filtration if you don't pasteurize your beer- the downside is that it does tend to strip more character from the beer. I get the numbers and procedures from friends who have done this professionally.

8. I dunno. I always felt canned soda is much crisper (and better tasting) than fountain soda......... Same concept, though I could be wrong.

9. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Kegs aren't carb'd the same as bottles/cans. Keg'd IPA is always better.

10. There will be small differences because of details such as carbonation, line cleanliness and filtration levels but my own experience ( from occasional bottles and extremely rare keg ) that they are very similar. The sea change comes with cask ; unlike bottles, cans and kegs the beer has a chance to develop instead of being more or less locked.Some beers benefit more than others using this dispense form but from my own homebrewing experience I was always disappointed at how my beers turned out in the bottle.Levels of flavour seemed to have been lost; this is noticeable when drinking a bottled beer alongside its cask brother where the difference is palpable.

11. Keg beer and fountain soda are not even remotely close to one another. I always prefer beer on tap, guess that is why I have a kegerator.

12. All of jacks Abby's lagers are unpasteurized and unfiltered, and available in bottles.

13. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

Me too. I have two taps for variety, and always find the flavors are enhanced with draft.

14. Beers can taste different on tap vs. bottle/can. Whatever serving method tastes better is obviously the preferred choice.

15. searsclone

searsclone Savant (325) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

I was lucky enough to have Enjoy by side by side, keg vs. bottle. I preferred the bottle, it seemed to be better balanced. The owner of the place told me that the difference in mouth feel was due to the fact that they use a 75/25 blend of co2 and nitro on all of their taps. I've never heard of blending the gas, but I would think that the nitro would hurt the carbonation of certain beers.

16. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (365) New York Jan 23, 2011

Fountain soda is usually postmix. Part of the reason corny kegs are so available for small brewers/home brewers now is because the soda industry basically abandoned them. (They were used with premix). So, instead of a small canister of soda on a dispensing system, you usually have a bag of syrup in a box attached to a CO2 canister and a water source. There are a lot more variables and the quality generally leaves a lot to be desired.