1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Draft's Top 100 Beer Bars

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mantooth, Jan 17, 2013.

1. 19etz55 likes this.
  2. in the west coast section:

BEER REVOLUTION | Oakland, Calif.

that orkut guy is going to be pissed.

jmgrub likes this.
  3. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I really hate these lists. I have been to a fair number of places on this list, but I will only speak for those listed in Cleveland - they aren't the best in the area and have no business being there(La Cave is on the fence). The biggest crock is having The Bier Market on there, and I swear the owner is paying someone, as his below average establishments show up on every "best of" list that mentions the area.

4. The choices from Philly are solid. I'll also second Father's Office in LA and Papago Brewing in Scottsdale (but where's Neighborhood in San Diego??)

5. ^^ LOVE Papago. They've been doing craft in AZ probably longer than anyone and it's always a place that never disappoints.

sbuysse and luwak like this.
  6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

My house is still better than any of those. Beer is way cheaper and the waitress is always smokin. ;)

7. Monk's Cafe needs to be on this list, and the Grey Lodge? Yeah, why not. But damn, Eulogy is not better than the multitude of amazing craft beer bars in Philly and the suburbs...like, I would choose Capone's over Eulogy any day. I would even choose Brauhaus Schmitz over Eulogy. Maybe I haven't been to Eulogy enough, but their taplist isn't much when you think about what else the city and region has to offer, nor does their bottle list impress me much.

8. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (270) California Nov 22, 2011

Monk's cafe is on the list.

9. ScottUCF84

ScottUCF84 Savant (255) Florida Apr 7, 2006

Hooray Redlight Redlight.

kpanter likes this.
  10. You should get her to quit. Emphysema is a hell of a thing.

jgluck, beertunes, Jnorton00 and 7 others like this.
  11. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

downtown. It is a great place. I love their lunch menu

edit: misread your post, I thought it was on the list and you didn't know where in SD it was. I agree it is a great place, however, I also understand how it didn't make the list. Honestly there are so many great beer bars in SD you could probably fill the West region with just those, so the line had to be drawn somewhere.

12. nanobrew

Glad to see Churchill's on the list. Great place from the beer, food, and service

13. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Actually Four Peaks is a good 5+ years longer/older. Nimbus is older and still going. Some in Flagstaff are older. Prescott brewing is older. TOPS liquor goes back to the early 1980's when we had mostly Belgian and other European offerings as the best in state. There was quite a boom in AZ craft beer in the 90's with a couple handfuls of breweries & some good beer bars too.

kagent777 likes this.
  14. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

"Churchkey’s the spark that started the capital’s craft beer revolution."

Not that I disagree with it being DC's best beer bar, but that statement is a bit strong.

JohnB87 and yourefragile like this.
  15. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I'm surprised Brouwer's didn't make the list among several worthy Seattle establishments. It's almost unanimously considered an essential beer stop here, and they probably have the deepest cellar in town.

16. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

It's like they feel the need to include SOMETHING from a broader range of cities. I see a lot on the list that has far, far superior alternatives in superior beer cities (like Seattle)

17. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

No Horsebrass in Portland? Kill this list with fire.

18. Eulogy was good when they were one of a handful of choices, but they've been left in the dust with all the new places going now

19. The article is specifically titled "America’s 100 best beer bars." Papago opened its doors back in '01, 4P opened in 2003. While Tops may have opened back in '81, "Taste of Tops" or the BAR portion has only been open since 2009. Yes, Prescott brewing may be older, but I wouldn't care to place it in the same category as Papago as far as its offerings and accessibility for Phoenicians. While Nimbus is around, I cannot even think of one of their beers worth bragging over. So, when I say that Papago has "probably" been doing it longer than anyone, I am specifically speaking about BEER BARS (bars specializing in their variety and passion for beer), not just bars that sell beer.

20. TheRealPour

TheRealPour Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 29, 2009

+1 for Hopcat in Grand Rapids, MI. Always a highlight on my annual pilgrimage to GR for the Winter Beer Festival in February for ambiance and depth/breadth of selection. I think that place has every bar in Chicago beat...though I do loves me some Hopleaf.

bryanole27, JohnB87 and UnderJoath like this.
  21. Since what makes a "good" bar depends entirely on the person it's not surprising that everyone is going to have a quibble with the list.

I can only speak to the NY selections, and they're all reasonable. Not my favorite places to grab a beer, but all very worthy selections.

22. I'll vouch for Armsby Abbey in Worcester, MA, Closed for Business in Charleston, SC, and Ashley's in Ann Arbor, MI. I love all of those places.

23. jb123

jb123 Savant (490) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

a few more michigan ones: 7 monks tap room, traverse city. one eyed bettys, ferndale michigan. the later of the two had a goose island tap explosion and features BC/three sisters and more! AWESOME bottle selection and staff!

TheBandit1 and JFKUpnorth like this.
  24. I feel Chicago is properly represented

CreamandCrimson likes this.
  25. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

You mean other than this one? ;) Just went there for the first time last month - great place!

HORSE BRASS PUB | Portland, Ore.
    You can credit this well-worn, 37-year-old bucket-list bar as one of the nation’s original craft houses. Packed to the gills with classic beer memorabilia and stocked with every stalwart and newfangled beer imaginable, this English-style pub is beer Nirvana. 4534 SE Belmont St., horsebrass.com

yemenmocha likes this.
  26. Bill2809

Bill2809 Aficionado (105) Maryland Jan 15, 2013

Both Max's and Brewer's Art are great representatives for Baltimore's Best Beer Bars.
    Max's has 100+ taps and even more bottles. Bartenders work quick and know their beer. Only downside, very crowded and pricey.
    Brewer's Art, good happy hour and cool celar bar. The mix of patrons is very diverse and not as rowdy.

27. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Why the hate?

28. I hate places that allow indoor smoking.

WassailWilly likes this.
  29. miketd

I'm not hating, but Bier Market, Market Garden Brewery and Nano Brew do not belong on any "best of" list. They are popular places, but far from great(or even good in Bier Market's case). I can tell it as I see it without hating a place.

30. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Yea, I don't disagree with you, was just curious as to your thoughts.

31. nanobrew

speaking of Nano Brew; this is obviously my user name here, along with many other places, including instagram, which I have started to get tagged in by people visiting that place.... now that I write that out I guess there was no real point to that story #coolstorybro

32. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

I used the 2012 list as a guide when I was in Chicago in July. Went to a few on this list, and they are quite worthy.

UnderJoath likes this.
  33. miketd

Haha, when I saw your username I thought it was going to be a post whining about my opinion and flaming me.

34. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Savant (305) New Hampshire Feb 19, 2012

Ebenezer's is great, but far from what you would expect for a bar that's considered to be "one of the best in the world". It's actually very small. The food is excellent though, and there's always great beer available, albeit expensive.

35. miketd

From my experience, I'm going to have to disagree with you here.

36. dglgmut

dglgmut Aficionado (105) New Jersey Jul 12, 2012

Great list. I can keep all great beer bars in NJ to myself :]

37. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

The eyepee man is correct

38. the stumbling monk sucks in comparison IMO.

vonnegut21 and digita7693 like this.
  39. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

The absence of Kickbacks, Jax Florida, from the list is a travesty!!!!

Lerxst, beer30jax, Momar42 and 3 others like this.
  40. Love Churchkey's but honestly will take Bier Baron(former Brick Skeller) over it any day. Not nearly as packed, less pricey, and idk... Churchkeys just gives off a pretentious feeling vibe sometimes. Meridian Pint is pretty bangin as well