1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Ok folks, I'm interested in hearing about beers you've had that were so horrendous you couldn't finish them. I'm not looking for stuff like Camo Ice but beers from reputable breweries that you were looking forward to, only to be disgusted...
  2. evilcatfish

Guess I should start:

Mikkeller Black Hole Scotch Barrell Edition: I bought this to share with a buddy of mine who really digs Scotch and we were both excited for it. Unfortunately it was sour/bitter/disgusting. You could definitely get the peat taste, and vague stout flavor but they just didn't work. Maybe I had a bad bottle? We made it about a third the way in to our snifters then that crap got poured in the sink. Sad as I liked BH in its other forms (Tequila, red wine, bourbon, rum, etc) $12 wasted...
    xenjoiii and ElderPuma like this.
  3. Pumking, insta drain pour.
    Creme Brulee, drain poured after 6 oz's, I couldn't take anymore.

I love Chokolat though.
  4. My first creme brulee also finished that way but I had bought 2 at the time and so one went in the cellar. I cracked it open this weekend (one year later) and I was able to drink it. It was a lot better.
    RyanShipman likes this.
  5. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Voodoo Doughnut Bacon abomination.
  6. Hell or High watermelon - tasted nothing like I remembered from years ago
    Boxer Lager - I could drink Natty any day over this crap
  7. evilcatfish

I knew somebody would say this one. I actually got a bottle recently, figured I had to see just how gross it really is
    AlaskanYoung likes this.
  8. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (640) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic

Two gulps and down the drain. That beer wrecked my taste buds and ruined the rest of my night.
    weonfire, mikel5489, MarkF150 and 5 others like this.
  9. New Holland Charkoota Rye, Stone Smoked Porter, Sam Adams Cinder Bock.
    Holland likes this.
  10. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

I love Dogfish head but TaHenket was a drain pour for me. And this years pumking ended the same
    RyanShipman likes this.
  11. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Chocarrubica - Grado Plato

Got the drain treatment , It was so infected I thought the sink was going to get sick..
    cavedave and deesher like this.
  12. evilcatfish

One more:
    Haandbryggeriet Royk Uten lld (Smoke without fire) I dig smoke beers but this one did not do me well. Some terrible pains erupted in my chest within a couple minutes of starting to drink it. I've never had heartburn but I think this gave it to me. Would maybe give this another shot...
  13. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Dragon's Milk

I honestly wish I liked this beer since it's one of very few year round BA stout options in Minnesota.
  14. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I have only allowed a few over the many years, but the one that stands out the most to me (and is the most recent as well) was Flying Dog's Raging Bitch. I could only choke down about half of it and had to pour the rest...
  15. Most of the time when I'm in the mood to experiment it's with my local beer group and stuff rarely gets drainpoured because there are usually so many people around you can dispense 2oz pours until the bottle is gone. With that being said, the following beers have been drainpoured, meaning we found them exceptionally bad to the point where people were refusing samples based on what the rest of us were saying:

-Laughing Dog Dogfather imperial stout (sort of like an imperial stout mixed with an ashtray and a glass of cheap red wine)

-Southern Tier Unearthly IIPA (about 16oz were drainpoured after a blind taste test that included Torpedo, Hopslam, and a few others - every other beer was fully consumed)

-Southern Tier Pumking (unanimous loser in our pumpkin blind taste test)

-Dogfish Head Ta Henket (most pours of this went over the balcony after a couple of sips)

We barely finished off a Sam Adams Infinium but with less people that would have been an easy drainpour. Creme Brulee also only just barely got finished and I think it took about 10 people to get through it.
  16. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (620) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I dumped mine too.. Bought a bottle in NC when I was at the summer house, and it was a waste of money. Nasty.

Oh, and someone else mentioned it.. Laughing Dog Dogfather Imperial Stout.. That was a terrible beer. I hated dumping it, but there was no way in hell I would be able to finish that bomber. It was one of the worst.
  17. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

The Peat Edition received that treatment in my house...and I've had a couple dozen other drainpours.

EDIT: aside from old IPAs from the back of my fridge, my most recent drainpour was FMB. That stuff is pure rubbish. Disappointed in Founders for putting their name on that one.
    Etan likes this.
  18. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I rarely drain pour a beer, in 5 years I've probably only poured 5 bottles because I couldn't drink them. I will usually finish something I don't care for; has to be offensive to me to get rid of it. Two that stand out are Mikkeller It's Alive and Stone/Jolly Pumpkin/Nogne O Special Holiday ale. With both I forced a third sip just to make sure and it was confirmed they were going down the drain.
    AlaskanYoung likes this.
  19. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

On Saturday, I poured about 20 oz. of 2011 Stone Belgo Anise IRS. I can't even describe the aroma and taste. It makes me gag just thinking about it.

A few months ago I dumped a Short's Raisin Apollo. Oh man. That was awful. Other than that, I've powered through beers that I didn't like. Those two were the exception.
  20. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Creme Brulee is the only thing I've ever drainpoured. I think I managed about half the bomber, But couldn't handle the other half.
  21. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Frangelic Mountain brown. Terrible beer, but even more disappointing coming from founders.
    Other than that Creme Brulee is the next one to come to mind.
  22. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (425) Ohio May 2, 2010

Positive Contact...I should have known better when my local bottle shop split the "has to be sold in case quantity" case. My girlfriend and I both agreed, vomit in a glass. That smell stayed with me for days.

Pumking-Jesus Christ. I will gladly drink Stohs before attempting that again. Another beer that made my nose want to kick my balls in...
    MarkF150 and patol8 like this.
  23. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (425) Ohio May 2, 2010

How could I forget that $12 bottle of fake creamer...come on Founders. Love you but come on...
  24. Man... I had some stuff from shorts brewery that i got from a BIF... I pretty much drained every single one of them. They were terrible.
  25. Elysian Rosemary Agave IPA was quite an abortion...
    misterranger likes this.
  26. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

All three bottles I've had of Weyerbacher Fireside have been disgusting beyond belief and went down the drain after about four sips each. All tasted like cans of corn with some smoke in the background. Just truly awful. I don't know if they just had a DMS problem with some batches or if the smoke flavor they use just doesn't taste right to me.
  27. evilcatfish

I've got 2 bottles of FMB and I think I'm going to wait a while to try it again. Hoping the coffee/hazelnut assault fades, then maybe it won't be so bad
    jdrum likes this.
  28. Infinium immediatley springs to mind. What a terrible beer. I don't know what Sam Adams was thinking....or why it was brewed more than once.
    MPLSbrewer, 2beerdogs, Horbar and 3 others like this.
  29. That sucks. I was really hoping a little age might make my last one of these drinkable...
  30. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I've done this only once. Stone's Belgo Old Guardian. I drain-poured only the last four ounces or so, but it gave me some real heartburn, tasted acrid, and wasn't enjoyable. I say this as a big Stone fan, btw. If Greg Koch or anyone from there is reading this, don't get upset; I love you guys!
    Shagtastic and Gosox8787 like this.
  31. Thanks for reminding me, this one got drainpoured after a blind tasting of Russian imperial stouts. Really perplexing since I think the regular Stone IRS is outstanding.
  32. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

Thanks, Gosox8787, I had blocked Infinium out of my memory for a reason... Forgot about that atrocity of a beer. Had it on New Year's Eve instead of Champagne one year, and quickly regretted it.
  33. evilcatfish

Glad I never bought "Infinium"
    thecheapies, lsummers and yamar68 like this.
  34. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (360) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Pearl Street Dankenstein DIPA
  35. Two stories...one short...one drawn out. First the short.

Had a bottle of Xyauyu Etichetta Rame (Copper). Opened it up, not the slightest hint of carbonation, and it was sweet as hell. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. Straight down the drain. I get grief for it at every turn. But, I don't dig flat beer...whether that's the intention, the norm, or whatever.

Second. During Philly Beer Week we had a few bottles of Double Pecan Porter we'd traded for. We opened the first, and it was utterly infected. Gusher...sour...bad top to bottom. Straight down the drain. Second...same way. By the time we got to the third, we didn't even bother to see if it was any good...we just shot a video of us opening it and pouring it straight in the sink. That set a few people off (Texans, mostly), but it wasn't anything personal. Bad beer's bad beer. We dumped a copious amount of Dark Lord out that week too.
  36. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, I still have one left. I'm not sure why I bought 2 to begin with. I may never end up opening it.
  37. We shared an Infinium last year during the Orange Bowl. It's debatable which was worse between that beer and Clemson's defense.
    2beerdogs and NotACommunist like this.
  38. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

*insert generic Dark Lord drain pour and think I'm a rebel*

*gasps all around*
    2beerdogs likes this.
  39. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

[​IMG]

Although, I blame it on either 1.) A novice palette (I had it when I first started drinking craft beer) 2.) Completely different expectations... I recently had Southern Tier Chocolate and expected it to be the same.. for whatever reason.

With that said, will try again.
  40. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

on a serious note: the there have been 3 beers aside from macro lagers that I have drainpourd:
    1. DFH tah henket- I kept on getting this fungusy note and I couldn't take it past a couple sips

2. Hoppin Frog sweet evil, I should have been warned by the name, It was just waaaay too sweet

3. Rouge Voodoo bacon maple whatever- this time I knew what I was getting myself into but wanted to try it as a curiosity. I really did try my best to finish a glass but I couldn't do it.

I try my best not to drain poor craft beers because I know how much time and effort went into making them. But i'm sure I will add to this list.
    borderican and barleywinefiend like this.