1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My first Darkness and Dark Lord were both infected or improperly stored. It made me not to ever wanna trade again. Not to mention a lot of local stuff that has no business on the market.

borderican likes this.
  2. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Huh, I really liked those three. Not much of a smoked beer guy either.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

A beer has to be down right awful before I will drain pour it. Funny that a lot of beers I enjoy are being mentioned in this thread. Guess that's what I love about beer, so many different people with different tastes.

Last one I recall was half a bomber of Sam Adams Fat Jack....had a very artificial pumpkin taste to it.

4. Maisel's Weisse Original hefeweizen - smelled like an average hefeweizen, but man the taste, soooooo sour and a bunch of other off flavors. Couldn't get in more than three sips. Maybe a bad bottle, but I don't think I'll be trying it again anytime soon.

Another would be Solstice d'hiver from DDC. Little less than a year old barleywine, had quite a bit of "medicinal" taste to it, plus some notes of black pepper and a big alcohol presence. Ugh. DDC is an amazing brewery, but next time I'll try an aged bottle.

5. The only other drain pour I can recall right now is Stone's 11-11-11. I really tried on that one, but it was just undrinkable to me.

6. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I passed the beer off on a friend instead of pouring it out but Flying Dog's In-Heat wheat tastes like old soup beans to me and if some one hadn't taking it it would have also found the drain.

7. Lazy Mutt. I was a poor college student living in Chicago at the time and was enticed by the 8 pack. Dumped out 5 of the 8. It became a joke to have everyone that came over try it.
    [​IMG]

1Nrwyscotch and daryk77 like this.
  8. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Nope, wasn't you.... It was gross. Thankfully their brunch weasel highland, cognac, and calvados are all awesome.

9. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Luckily I didn't have an entire bottle of it, just a 3 oz. taster. There was an intense pea soup flavor and aroma in that beer. Absolutely dreadful.

BreakingBad likes this.
  10. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Agreed. And Creme Brulee, yes it's sweet, but you cannot tell me it tastes bad...It tastes like Creme Brulee for crying out loud!

11. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I've only ran into a couple beers that truly deserved the drain.

CBS. While something may have happened in the shipping process, this beer was bad.
    Captain Lawrence Smoke from the Oak series. All three bottles suffered the same fate. These three were downright disgusting. Based on reviews these must have spoiled somewhere along the lines, but they were so bad I have no desire to rechallenge the trio.

12. mporter13

mporter13 Aficionado (175) Oregon Jul 13, 2011

Pumking... my very first drain pour just last week. I never thought I would drain pour a beer, but there was no way I could handle that mess

13. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Exactly, none of them taste BAD, but maybe too sweet for a beer. I can see not finishing all of the bomber or glass, but dumping it after one sip is stupid.

Lantern likes this.
  14. I can only remember drain pouring two. My first was a few weeks ago. B Nektar's Wild Genius IPA Style Mead. Just so insanely two dimensional. HONEY - HOPS. I could barely smell it let alone drink it.

My second was due to circumstance, not flavor. I poured a Schlafly pumpkin last night when I wasn't really feeling too hot. Decided it wasn't a good idea to drink it, tried to get my brother to drink it, then begrudgingly asked him to drain pour it when he didn't want it. I suppose it's only beer...

Generally if I don't like something enough (and it's a 6'er) I'll finish the one and save the rest for when my lame-o friends come over and make them think I'm being all generous and shit...

15. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

How is fff bully Guppy not on this list??? Nail polish remover = drain pour

16. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Nothing like a healthy dose of self loathing, I recommend sharing it with a few enemies, at least that way it wont go completely to waste.

gigaknight likes this.
  17. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Got home after a long day of school and a friend and I opened a bottle of Mikkeller Monks Brew. Belgian ale brewed with raspberries aged in wine barrels.

Could have fooled me.

It tasted like putrid rotting raisins that sat in an ashtray for weeks. What the fuck Mikkeller? Stick to making beer geek weasel.

Drainpour.

18. I also did not enjoy this beer much either. It just seems to be too alcohol forward and cloyingly sweet. Perhaps with some age on it it gets better, but on an initial taste I could hardly choke it down. It's worth noting that I got through this years BCBS with no problems and I drink bourbon on the rocks on a semi-regular basis, so it wasn't the liquor taste.

That said, like many of these drainpours, I cannot see paying the money for these beers and pouring them down the drain. Honestly, Creme Brulee, Dragon's Milk, and Pumking, while they may not be for everyone, are not nearly bad enough to drainpour for me, especially considering their price point. Creme Brulee and Dragon's Milk were both too much sweetness for me, but that meant I should share them with someone other than my sink since they are by no means "bad" tasting.

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  19. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

2 years ago - Magic Hat - "Odd Notion" It was the green apple - Tasted like puke
    I think it's the first beer I've ever drain-poured... It absolutley pained me doing that to a beer.

Wait, I'm mistaken... a 9-mo old, light-struck, piss-warm Corona when I was around 21. But then again, that doesn't really count because although (not by much), the beer did indeed, taste better when it was cold and fresh. I don't however, see myself drinking Corona in the near future. I honestly can't remember the last time I bought one... easily over 5 years ago.

spy1981 likes this.
  20. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Savant (455) Colorado Sep 24, 2010

Ommegang Cave-Aged Three Philosophers. Poured it. Gifted the rest away.

21. Westbrook Lichenhainer. I like smoke beers and sour beers but not rolled into one. Also Lion Stout....but I may give that one a second chance. Oh and Hirschbrau Dopplebock. Way too sweet and imbalanced for a dopplebock.

22. 1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock. Pure evil.

ChanChan likes this.
  23. I rarely drainpour unless I pass out with beer still in my glass. Even still, it doesnt always go down the drain. This morning actually I woke up to a full beer from last night... breakfast. Aside from that I dont think Ive ever drainpoured just because the beer wasnt good, just drink it.
    I can understand some of them though, like the Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic, what a terrible beer.

24. jgroch2

jgroch2 Zealot (80) Illinois Mar 26, 2011

+1 on FMB and Stone 11.11.11, WTF why were these hyped?

spy1981 likes this.
  25. Unibroue Maudite killer label EVIL tasting beer
    Samiclaus is not much better
    Rauchenfels smoked beer was the first beer I ever dumped straight down my concrete driveway , Never tried it again never will .
    Did try the first 2 again just because the first attempt may of been bad bottles ... But oh NO

26. Dirty25

Dirty25 Savant (370) Germany Jan 22, 2012

All laughing dog beers I tried. I don't know why I kept coming back to it. The only one that wasn't horrible was dogfather, well one of the two I drank was ok.

27. Pumking. Twice. This year and last. I thought I'd be nice and give it a second try, maybe my palate has developed/changed. But no. It was still terrible.

28. The only three ever for me were

Blue Point Oktoberfest
    Avery Hog Heaven
    Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic

And these two came very close, forced myself to choke them down

Stone Belgo Anise
    Smuttynose Maibock

29. Friendship Brew, the Green Flash/St. Feuillen collab.

Coldish, it was decent, but underwhelming. As soon as it warmed up, BOOM! Instant cherry cough syrup-meets-liquid bandaids.

gigaknight likes this.
  30. That's weird; either your taste buds are very different from mine, or you had a bad/old bottle. I loved Raging Bitch; drank the hell out of that beer when it was being made. Great on tap...

fickenmeimirish likes this.
  31. If Samiclaus wasn't twenty bucks a bottle I would have poured that out as well. I do enjoy Maudite however.

32. Technicallly Pumking wasn't a drain pour for me as I found someone who liked it and let them finish it for me.

33. I've had to dump a few imports (mostly German lagers, by the way) that were kept on a shelf waaaaay past their sell-by date (which wasn't on the bottle; this should be against the rules). When I was just getting into beer, I grabbed something, I think it was an Augustinerbrau something-or-other, as part of a mixed sixer. It was, I now know, simply VERY stale, but the experience was so bad that I didn't give that brewery another chance for about three years. I've also had this problem at Whole Foods with Black Sheep pale ale, which is one of my favorite BPAs when fresh; watch out for those British imports at WF, guys!

As for a beer that was simply against all my taste, I poured out my first Midas Touch. Almost no carbonation, and sickeningly sweet. I know a lot of people love this beer, and I perhaps got a bad bottle, but I've never been willing to give it another chance. I also had this experience with a bottle of Bell's Expedition Stout; tasted like someone had set cardboard on fire, stamped it out, left it in the rain for a few weeks, then made it into a beer.

34. chefduff2

chefduff2 Savant (400) Pennsylvania Feb 17, 2008

I'll gladly take any of your Pumkings before you pour them down. Sure, it's a little sweet, but a good seasonal beer. I usually never drain pour a beer, but I definitely drain poured Magic Hat's circus boy. Someone brought it over for football and left it. I remember the first sip tasting like a lemon household cleaner and there it went. I also drain poured a BL Platinum that was given to me, but I think that should be completely acceptable.

gpawned likes this.
  35. *tear* But I love Maudite.... I guess some things aren't for everyone. If we all liked the same stuff, the world would be a boring-ass place. I've had quite a few Unibroue beers and I've never had a bad experience, myself. I find them all to be high-quality beers at a great price point. Then again, I haven't had that damn "Pilsener" they brew, so...

fickenmeimirish likes this.
  36. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I actually got so mad at the Infinium that I put the entire bottle with contents upside down into the garbage disposal and left it there during a party to spite it. I don't drain pour that much but that beer was the nastiness.

The only other one I've drain poured in recent memory was Voodoo Doughnut. Drank about half a glass and poured that and the bottle. I think I heard the drain wince. Never again, Rogue... never... again.

ChrisMon02 likes this.
  37. Lutter

I loved the Belgo IRS... I actually just recently drank a bottle I aged and it got better. That said, I love black licorice.

BTW: Not understanding the hate for Pumking. I typically go down to Florida every October as my mother and grandmother's birthday both fall on the same day. Loved it on draft last year. It's very pumpkin pie tasting (as opposed to pumpkin/spices tasting). Crust and all.

38. Lutter

I think lots of non-craft drinkers buy it... it certainly is one of the fancier craft beer bottles you can buy (along with Utopias) in terms of aesthetics.

39. Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog Ale and Rogue Santa's Private Reserve. Oh, and of course, Pumking. All horrible beers, in my opinion.

40. Oh yea...me, too. Almost forgot about that one. (Sorry local boys; I wish you luck, but...yuck!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.