Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Was trying to dig myself out of the pile of paperwork I was buried in during that game, the score alerts haunt me to this day. Can't imagine trying to stomach an Infinium and watch that game.

2. Wielder

Wielder Aficionado (160) Indiana Sep 5, 2012

I poured the Lips of Faith Brett Beer I tried tonight.

Only other one in recent memory was a B Nektar Vanilla and Cinnamon I had bought for a tasting. We took sips and could barely kill our samples, let alone the bottle. Tried simmering the alcohol out so I could use it as a glaze, but it stunk up the entire house in a way that did not smell pleasantly of vanilla and cinnamon.

arniepnminne likes this.
  3. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I have honestly never drainf pours a beer... I ALWAYS check the site before I buy beer and this helps me never buying a bad beer

4. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Two come to mind. Most recently a Amager Bryghus Batch One tasted like old baseball cards and couldn't handle it. Maui's version of Sobrehumano Palena'ole was also a drain pour out of the can. Something was off. I had it later on tap and at first it was delicious but over time (about 30 minutes) it took a serious turn for the worse and picked up qualities I tasted from the can. I've been marinating chicken with the rest of the six pack of cans, that has been working out for me.

5. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Drainpoured only a few beers in my day.

Samichlaus: I seriously don't understand what people like about this. I believe it gets a high rating on this site, but I remember bringing a bottle of this from my holiday in Berlin last year, when I hadn't really digged any deeper into the world of craft beer and actually believed it might be the strongest beer in the world, as they advertise so willingly. Cloyingly sweet, boozy, hot and horrible. I would rather chug my ex's bottle of nail polish remover than to open a bottle of this filth ever again. Dark Lord might have been a let-down in the sweet booze department, but it was nowhere near as bad as this.

Leffe Triple 1997: got a few vintage bottles from my hairdresser of all people. This one didn't age well. Ugh.

doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  6. During my BMC drinking years my first was a Bud Chelada. I was out bowling and the bar had it on sale for 50 cents for a 16oz can. I like Clamato and have had red beers so I thought why not. The bartender gave it to me and I had a drink while she was bringing back the change. I gave it back and asked her to throw it out and get me a Bud instead. She said that was happening a lot.

3 weeks ago I dumped a Tripel Karmeliet. It was an infected bottle. As soon as the cap came off it started foaming. I poured maybe an ounce in the Duvel glass and it filled the whole thing with head. I let it settle down and got a some more in it and tried it. It was just awful and I dumped it. My next bottle was just fine.

For the people who have had bottles of Delirium Tremens is it supposed to have so many floaters that it looks like extra pulp orange juice? That happened with a bottle on Monday. I didn't have another one in the fridge to compare it with. It tasted ok but I couldn't get past what was going on in the glass.

7. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Rogue Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon whatever. I've had a few drain pours but this really the only one where I literally couldn't stomach another sip. I could only get a few swigs of this down. While in the mouth it really didn't have much of a taste at all, but the aftertaste was like someone put water, maple syrup, and campfire ashes in a bottle and mixed it up.

The only other drain pour I can think of right now is Brainless on Peaches.

DFH Ta Henket didn't end up as a drain pour, but it took considerable effort to finish. That stuff was just awful. Low ABV and some extreme stubbornness on my part are probably the only things that got me through that one.

8. I forgot about Dogfish Head Theobrama. The description on the bottle made it sound really good but it tasted like watered down Niquil

landhoney and JxExM like this.
  9. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

I'll second that. I used the trest of the sixpack in the breadmaker instead of water.

lucasj82 likes this.
  10. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

haha that was your video? i was wondering what that was all about.

11. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

Reading posts like the ones in this forum, though, might make you consider not buying the best pumpkin beer ever brewed.

gigaknight likes this.
  12. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Mamma Mia Pizza Beer, last night. Woofburgers.

Drank about 5 ounces, and that was a challenge. Had to down an entire bottle of Panil Barriquee '06 to wash the taste out, and THAT beer was SOOOOO GOOOOOD.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Pumking is rated a 90 here...yet people are talking about drainpouring it, goes to show you can't go by ratings or peoples personal tastes. While I use this site to get an idea of what I am getting myself into, and to be honest to control cost I won't buy anything less than a good rating, I still like to try things people seem to dislike.

Take Infinium for instance, I enjoy it very much, and I buy it every year to crack at new years in lieu of champagne.

Wingfan13 likes this.
  14. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Probably steers you away from buying a lot of beers you'd enjoy though too.

RochefortChris likes this.
  15. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

less than 80 IBUs is usually a death sentence

16. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Further proof regarding personal tastes...

afrokaze likes this.
  17. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

This is kinda different drain pour story I was outside with both my daughters blowing bubbles and I had my Last Heady Topper(which I got in trade) I just cracked it open drank one sip I turn away for a minute I look back and my 2 1/2 yr old daughter poured the rest of her bubbles into the glass ................In one word Devastated :(

18. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I was lucky enough to have only grabbed the one off of the loose beer shelf.

19. ISO: soap-bubble-infused Heady

harperman69 and JxExM like this.
  20. Bobbydigi

Bobbydigi Savant (280) Kansas Feb 3, 2009

Big Sky Kriek is the last beer I drain poured.

21. Just buy a sculpin.

DaveAnderson likes this.
  22. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (370) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

If only soap smelled that good :)

afrokaze likes this.
  23. Yeah. Even the bottle we opened, that we'd already predetermined we were going to drain pour, was a gusher. It's just hard to believe that was being touted the best thing to come out of Texas since they learned what beer was down there.

24. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Jesus Christ, that beer was a mess. I didn't pour it, but I wish I had. Lips of Faith are generally hit and miss, but that was the worst one I've had.

25. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (570) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I love most of Stone's offerings. but the 16th Anniversary was a gross mess IMO. Sorry. Just the thought of that weird lemon taste makes me gag.

BaconCheeseburg likes this.
  26. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (470) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

I have to agree worse beer I have ever had, an creme brûlée was a close 2nd

27. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I'm pretty much the same.

28. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I love this beer. To each his own. I really did hate 2012 Dark Lord (it was my first and only DL experience and I didn't pour it out...I kept trying to like it all the way to the bottom...such a sad day.)

29. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The wet hopped with lemon pledge taste? Yeah...I didn't have to drain pour it because I was lucky enough to sample it first.

30. gpawned

I LOVED this beer fresh, but the last bottle I opened was really bad and not at all how I remembered it. I was again very sad that day.

Had a bottle of Old Rasputin a couple months ago that seriously turned my stomach. I kept trying to drink it but ended up pouring it out. I'm afraid to try again, I'd rather believe it was just a bad bottle.

31. gpawned

Even if it was still terrible (I happen to disagree), it was very different this year compared to last (which as a huge pumking fan, I was disappointed with too).

32. gpawned

Has 400 pound monkey changed in the last year or two? I tried it a few times while I was out west in 2010 (and absolutely loved it) and then recommended it to a few friends who all agreed. I split a bottle recently with another friend after raving about this beer and we decided we had too much other great beer to drink so we moved on. Curious.

33. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

I am one of the few who like Infinium. I cannot believe some of the beers people are drain pouring here. There are a lot of beers I don't care for but it would have to be terrible or infected for me to pour it.

Hanzo likes this.
  34. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Me too. Last time a drainpoured a beer was in the morning after a party in high school. You learn even from the bad ones.

35. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Oskar Blues GUBNA. Who put acid wash jeans in my beer?
    Alaskan Baltic Porter. Brown sugary grape juice. This is an "exceptional" beer? I guess exceptional can also be negative.
    Avery's The Czar. I think they got the labels mixed up on this one.

There are lots of other drain pours, but these are the two three that most people will recognize.

Jeff

PD4Ever likes this.
  36. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

Obscura Cacao is probably the most dreadful beer I have ever had. It tasted like vegetables.

37. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Or a great beer. Since you know... some people like it. ;)

On the topic of Dogfather - The Dogfather Barrel Aged is bad stuff too. I was hoping age would help it, but based on the tales of the base beer, I think all hope might be lost.

38. I think there have only been three.

Rogue Chipoolte Ale. It came to Ontario as part of a Rogue feature, so I gave it a try. I think I got about 1/3 of the way through, and I could not do it. I like spicy stuff but the taste was just not working.

Great Lakes (toronto) Pumpkin Ale. I hate all things related to pumpkins but my wife dared me to try it and I did and I hated it.

Simple Malt Double Porter. This was the worst, I bought it once from a quebec beer store because it sounded interesting. I got home and realized it was a smoked porter. I think I drank it but I really didn't like it. Then at least a year later I was in another quebec store and I totally forgot I tried it and bought it again. As soon as I tasted it I realized what it was and dumped it.

39. gpawned

I think you had a bad bottle of Alaskan Baltic Porter...had it on tap recently at a bottle shop in Seattle and the bartenders were raving about it...they weren't wrong, nice and thick, rich porter (I'd even say it is closer to a stout) and I got no sweet fruitiness at all.

40. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

You should try it on tap...

And not be an ass.

Infection happens to all kinds of breweries. It's never fun to get one, but don't be a prick about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.