1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Why all the Pumking hate? Living in CA, I've never had a chance to try it until a buddy brought home a few bottles from Oregon a few weeks ago. Personally, I didn't think it was bad. It's not my favorite pumpkin beer, but it was still drinkable and FAR from a drain pour. Me thinks there be elitists about. Is it just this years batch that is off? Help me understand.

As for Creme Brulee, I loved it. It's good in small quantities, and genuinely tastes like it's namesake. Cheers to Sourthern Tier for making BOTH of those beers.

Hanzo and gpawned like this.
  2. I drain poured the Red Barn ale last night from Lost Abbey. Just got worse with each sip, strong black pepper and dry finish just weren't my thing.

3. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Yes. Just had one the other day after 2 years and it was poor. Not quite a drain pour... but I thought about it.

My only non-infected drain pour was Stone 11-11-11. Couldn't do it.

Other drain pours for infection were Pipeworks Blue Lady, Jester King Wytchmaker, Two Brothers Northwinds Imperial Stout, and 2012 Peruvian Morning. Don't think those really count as they weren't what the brewer intended.

4. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

There are people out there who hate anything that is sweet. Creme Brulee is too sweet for my liking but I can understand why there are people who love it. Pumking varies from year to year. 2010 was very nicely balanced and delicious, last year was a little hoppier and had a vegetal quality to it, this year is the sweetest of the 3 and really tastes like pumpkin pie.

No matter what, haters gonna hate. I love this year's Pumking for what it is...dessert.

I have pretty much the same comment on FMB too. Delicious, obviously it is going to be polarizing.

5. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

I'm surprised no one from Chicago has gotten on here yet and said Blue Lady from Pipeworks. Just cheese everywhere, ruined the taste for me. But, I might be getting a free glass so I forgive them. And I still love them.

Sam Adam's Imperial White. Just a mess of a beer.

I know there is more I'm not thinking of... maybe I need a beer to refresh my memory...

Gosox8787 and Jwren5 like this.
  6. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Big Sky Kriek. What an absolute piece of shit beer. How the hell could they ever taste that and say "Yep, this one is ready to be released!"

cnbrown313, kodymupa and rob133 like this.
  7. Oh so many good ones. The latest was Chocolate Rain, one of the worst beers our group ever tried. I believe there was a comedic video made...not sure whatever happened to it but it mirrored Kevin ejaculating into the sink full of chocolate rain...

8. I've heard it's good on tap. And don't sweat, it, you're not being an ass. We really weren't trying to be either. We were just having some fun with a beer that a couple of us (not myself in this instance) had given up pretty substantial stuff for (KH included) after it had been trumpeted as a wonderful beer. It made us wonder if anyone had even really tried it before trading it off...or if they knew it was infected and traded it anyway. Regardless...it was Philly Beer Week and we were having some fun with beer. It wasn't at anyone's expense but our own. We'd paid for it, didn't care for it, disposed of it dramatically. That's all.

9. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

This. Pipeworks makes mostly great beer, and I say mostly because this is the only one that really missed the mark for me.

Other notable drain pours include:
    - Dogfish Head 120 (just awful awful awful)
    - Dogfish Head Saison Du Buff (was not in the mood at all)
    - Lost Abbey Ten Commandments (got through more than the others at least)

I nearly poured out Rodenbach Grand Cru. I guess I just don't like the strong vinegar flavour in my sours.

10. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

1. Bacon Voodoo Maple Donut. Tasted like club soda mixed with maple syrup.
    2. Peak XV Imperial Porter. Tasted like vanilla extract with some porter thrown in.

11. wbumgarner

wbumgarner Aficionado (160) Jul 16, 2012

I've only drain-poured three beers in my entire life. First was a beer I picked up from my local bottle shop called Arabier, and needless to say it probably cleaned my drain:D. Next was a brew by Sam Adams called Imperial White I believe. it was way over spiced and nearly burned my throat. The last beer I drain-poured was a brew by Bison Brewing called "Organic Honey Basil". It was completely disgusting.

12. I'm in the camp that very rarely drain pours (i guess that's the alcoholic camp). The being said i can think of two, although there was probably a couple others throughout the years.

Lakefront Snake Chaser- this must have been a bad bottle, i don't think Irish Dry Stouts are supposed to be sour.

Southern Tier Cuvee Series 3-i tried to power through this sweet mess, but after getting through about half the bomber over two nights, and probably wincing after each sip, i just couldn't do it anymore, down the drain.

13. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (600) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Jockamo IPA, by Abita.

Certified Evil, Lucky Bucket. -- drank about a third of it. Got sick of the overpowering flavors.

14. josephwa

josephwa Advocate (610) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

Loved that people had the same answers as myself. Pumpking, Ta Henket, and Hell or High Watermelon ride at the bottom of my list. I do have to disagree with the Creme Brulee naysayers, it is really good! But that's my favorite dessert of all time.

15. phisigben

phisigben Savant (355) Kentucky Jan 8, 2009

In 2009 I bought a case of Abyss before the infection concerns were raised. I poured out at least 10 of the bottles cool thing was Deschutes refunded me for the case. But the only real drain pour in recent memories was Rogue's horrible Bacon Maple Doughnut.

16. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Budweiser Chelada. Sweet bejaysus that was foul.

17. Sam Adams Triple Bock
    2007 Thomas Hardy's Ale
    And most recently... Beer Valley Leafer Madness

18. I wouldn't mind the sweetness of the ST Creme Brulee if it wasn't so hot and boozy on the back end. It's totally unbalanced and that's what makes it a total loser for me. On the other hand, some of my friends made homemade ice cream with it that was absolutely fucking fantastic, legitimately one of the best desserts I've ever had. Similarly, the pumpkin pie made with oak-aged Pumking that I had recently at an Oktoberfest party was excellent, even though I hate the beer.

19. Miruguy

Miruguy Aficionado (220) California Nov 22, 2010

?!? Is your tasting group comprised of 12 year olds? Get a palate!

20. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Guys, you are doing it wrong. You're supposed to drink beer.

claytong and gigaknight like this.
  21. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

For me:
    Pyramid apricot ale worst beer ever created! Also, I was new to craft-beer!
    1997 Sam Adams Triple Bock tasted ok, then I saw the chunks of black gunk, they reminded me of the Floating black blob from Creepshow II!
    Dogfish Head Festina Peche, this smelled like air freshener and tasted extremely artificial!

22. Never actually drain poured but I think the one that came closest was Sam Adams 13th Hour.

23. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I couldn't finish a bottle of Backwoods Bastard. I was new to it and wasn't ready for the bourbon. And I'm still not ready for the bourbon.

Luckily the other three bottles found a good home in the country where they have lots of room to run and play.

bastu and gigaknight like this.
  24. ilovermont

ilovermont Aficionado (150) Vermont Jul 18, 2012

I drain pour beer all the time!

My most recent was an '05 Blåbær, as it kinda tasted a little weird for a second. Might have had something to do with the dirty plastic SOLO cup that I poured the beer in to, but I didn't want to chance it.

If anyone needs me, I'll be updating my 'want' list over at drainpouradvocate.com.

gigaknight, Hatzilla and Dennoman like this.
  25. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Ok...so, palette's change, develop, degrade...whatever. So far, Belgian yeast "anything". My explorations in the realm have been stunted by any and all of my selections and distaste for all. BIG IPAS DIPAS .. Stouts...I'm a fan... Several big Sours...barrel aged anything I Can usually find something redeemable..wee heavy...big browns, but...

I have poured out EVERY self described Belgian "style" I've cracked open.

If there is hope for my anti Belgian style palette it's her on this forum.
    I can stomach/wallet one or two more and I'm done... What should it b?

26. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Whats funny about Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Abomination is the reviews that end up in "couldn't finish it/poured it out" yet scored over a two

gigaknight likes this.
  27. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

Off the top of my head, my drainpours include:

Bud Light Chelada Picante
    2012 Dark Lord
    Bruery Provisions: Salt of the Earth
    Surly Syx (just the last ounce or two, too much alcohol for one man)
    Gale's Prize Old Ale
    Cigar City 110K + OT Batch #3
    Cigar City Marshal Zhukov - Cedar Age (Humidor Series)

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but I'm sure there are more to come!

ehammond1 likes this.
  28. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

Have you tried Westmalle Trappist Tripel yet?
    That is a solid Belgian Tripel. Drank it last week with the fiancee, very smooth beer.
    Belgian yeast wasn't as strong as something like GreenFlash's bretty Belgians...

MagillaGriller likes this.
  29. MagillaGriller

Nope. It will be one of the last (hopefully not though) 1 o 2 that I indulge the style. I read your review and it almost makes me want try it. Almost. Thank you!

30. MagillaGriller

See prev.. Newbie boo boo

31. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (300) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

Blue Lady is exactly what I was going to say. I like blue cheese, but my beer shouldn't taste like it. That might actually be one of the worst beers I've ever had. It made me want to vomit.

32. Thedaver4220

Thedaver4220 Savant (265) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

Rabbid rabbit by FFF. I'm not a fan of saisons so that's probably why, but I had to give it a try.

33. GeckoPunk

I can almost say without a question of doubt that you will (at some point in the future) try many more Belgian beers. There are just too many out there to say that you will never have any more of them. IMHO, that would be like a wine aficionado saying, "I will no longer be drinking wine made in Chile or Argentina"...

I have high hopes that you will find a Belgian that'll blow your mind and completely change your perspective of that style of beer.

- Cheers! :D

34. Try a B
    Try a Belgian pale ale like Ommegang BPA or Green Flash Rayon Vert. Also try a quad or strong dark like a Rochefort 10, Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) and St. Bernardus Apt 12. Also a dubbel like Westmalle or Chimay red label.

MagillaGriller and GeckoPunk like this.
  35. MagillaGriller

Thank you thank you....

36. My name is Puke and I approve this message........................!

37. MagillaGriller

Don't bet on it, but I' already appreciate your optimism. Your analogy, however, while speaking to over arching consensus, well...what tastes good to me is what is on my table. ps I also don't quite appreciate "Disco" or wine either so my shortcomings remain. Thank you for this forum.

38. GeckoPunk

Haha, this reminds me of when I first starting enjoying Belgian beer. One of my first was Green Flash's Rayon Vert. During my first experiences with Belgians, Rayon Vert tasted like:
    • Barnyard Funk
    • Wet Hay
    • Lemongrass
    • Sour bretty yeast
    I couldn't get used to it as it was just way too 'over the top' for me... I now really enjoy that beer. It is a taste like no other, and it grows on you. Just typing about it already has my mouth watering as I destinctly remember the pucker it delivers. I'd really like to revisit that beer, but there are many more on my bucket list before I go back to it (for now).

Although I don't recommend a Chimay for someone just getting their foot in the Belgian world, what better beer to have to set the tone? I agree whole-hearted with your opinion RochefortChris! Good selection. MagillaGriller, I insist you try some of RC's preferred Belgians. He certainly has good taste...

39. MagillaGriller

Damn fanatics... Thank you so much....

40. GeckoPunk

We aim to please... although your wallet may not always agree. :rolleyes:

MagillaGriller likes this.