1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I had this at an informal tasting... a ton of horrible cheese in the nose and not much better taste. We didn't drainpour it, but we cut it with Miller High Life and chugged it down.

That being said, I still buy every new Pipeworks release because just about everything has been great and the guys who make the beer are class acts.
  2. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (335) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

recently bought 2 bottles of Dieu du Ciel Aphrodite. one was divine, the other infected. it only took one sip and buh bye.
  3. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

Hard to imagine anyone not cleaning the drains with:

- Wild Blue
    - Buffalo Bills Orange Blossom Cream Ale
    gpawned likes this.
  4. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

Didn't drain pour, but did anybody else notice the tuna fish smell??
  5. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

To relate a friend's story 3F bully guppy was a drain pour for him and he said it was easily one of the worst beers hes ever had, undrinkable, waste of $20.
  6. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

wild blue is AB...shocking
  7. gpawned

Two Brothers Take Two (we didn't pour it out...but we used it as a punishment for a freeloading friend who had to then drink it before he could take the next beer.

Two Brothers Pahoehoe...had it at the brewery, no one bothered finishing it. Tasted like High Life brewed with Vita Coco instead of water.
  8. Oh yeah and Stone Belgo Anise. I saw 2011 Stone RIS for $8 and thought "how could I lose?!?!"

Though not as bad as the reviews I read later that night, I poured half out as it was unpleasant to drink.

Only my 3rd drainer ever
  9. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (440) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Definitely Voodoo Donut Bacon..... ugh!
  10. New Glarus Enigma and New Belgium Shift.
  11. For what it was I thought it was ok. I definitely won't buy it again but in small amounts it's not that bad.
  12. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

It almost tasted like aspirin to me. I would be open to trying it again just to be 100% sure I didn't have a bad bottle (although I inspected it thoroughly, and don't believe that I did) but I do expect the same results. To me, it was like the worst parts of any Belgian beer and the worst parts of any IPA all crammed into one beer. :eek:
  13. deadbody

deadbody Savant (335) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Oddly enough I really enjoy both of these.

The Certified Evil is getting discounted out of my local store so $5 4 packs. I've picked up a few and will pick up a few more as some age didn't seem to hurt it at all.
  14. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

I'd imagine age would help a beer like Certified Evil. My opinion was that it was overoaked and the plum flavor was a bit stronger than I prefer from the Belgian yeast. It stands to reason that age might help these flavors mingle and mellow.
  15. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

You drain-poured Enigma!? o_O
    JohnnyTightLips likes this.
  16. I drainpoured Samuel Adams' Bonfire Rauchbier. That style just isn't for me.

I really struggled with Dogfish's World Wide Stout. I had a fresh bottle and I probably would have been better off if I had let it age.
    gpawned likes this.
  17. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

Ahh, I did drain pour this one. It was horrible. To me it tasted like milk that had gone sour. Blehh...
  18. Not a big fan of certain fruit/vegetable beers, and I do not like sweet/sour beers. I'll admit that was more than two years ago and my palette has changed quite a bit. New Glarus still kicks ass though.
  19. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I've never drained poured anything unless it was skunked which is usually BMC.
  20. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Indeed...the thread should stop right here. Worst beer evvvaaaaa!
  21. Doesn't happen often but these came to mind
    Southern Tier Pumpking
    Dark Lord
    S.A. triple bock
  22. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (595) Illinois Apr 15, 2011

Yeah if you don't like fruit beers or sour beers, Enigma probably wasn't for you.
  23. Nothing since I really got "into" craft beer. I'm a very cautious buyer.

Way back when I was first trying to get into beer in any form, I bought a 6 of Sam Adams Light. I couldn't drink it at all and had to dump it. It was years before I tried getting into beer again, assuming that "I just must not like beer."
  24. Ha! What a joke...
  25. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Samuel Adams Light? Such a monstrosity exists? (I'm freakin' serious, I've never ever seen this before in Texas... and we get basically all SA)

It is however entirely possible that I haven't bought a "light" beer that my mind puts a blank black box in the area where that beer is on the shelf.
  26. gpawned

Hinterland Maple Bock - I got very little maple, reminded me of a bad version of Voodoo Doughnut.

Hoppin' Frog Sweet Evil - Tastes/smells like a can of Spaghetti O's! Definitely was better when paired with smoked meats.
  27. littletriggers

littletriggers Zealot (90) Jun 21, 2012

Got stoked last month when I picked up a bottle of Pipeworks Blue Lady, as I love the style and blueberries in anything remotely tart is a no-brainer for me. Opened it up, it smelled like the stinkiest of feet and cheese. Tasted like yogurt mixed with a Berliner Weisse and I just couldn't shake the aroma while I was drinking it. Had a few sips, pitched it, and drank a MoaS instead. Also dumped a Peat Black Hole, but it was known going into it how bad it would likely be.
  28. Has anybody here drainpoured a Tactical Nuclear Penguin, or have all of you that had it struggled through a bottle (potentially with several other folks) in order to justify the price tag?
  29. gpawned

I don't know if you know this, but Pipeworks recalled that beer and are offering compensation (a souvenir glass IIRC).
  30. Well for the same people dislike Dark Lord, I drain poured 2 cans of Ten Fiddy because of a salty soy sauce flavor.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  31. littletriggers

littletriggers Zealot (90) Jun 21, 2012

Man, I did not know that at all. No way to prove my purchase, I was just in Chicago for a few days in September and had cracked the bottle at home in Atlanta.
  32. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

It was about 3 weeks ago, I ended up drain pouring Samuel Adams Utopias
    Then mere seconds later, I woke up from my nightmare... :D
    JulianB likes this.
  33. Very first was Rock Ice Limon, while in Costa Rica before I was really into craft, had to even spit out the sip I had taken

DFH 75 minute (as we'd had too many good IPAs already during an IPA tasting), DFH Tweason, DFH Immort, SN Celebration. Duck Rabbit Rabbid Duck, Barleywine and Hoppy Bunny for infection. Laughing Dog Dogzilla (but I have had a good bottle of this).
  34. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about that beer?
  35. SeaOfShells

I actually consider lighter saisons to be "entry level" Belgian beers. Maybe start with Hennepin by Ommegang?
    MagillaGriller likes this.
  36. SeaOfShells

No tuna (thank God), but I got tons of pea soup. If I had an entire pour, it would have went into the toilet. I wouldn't even want my drain to have to dispose of that.
  37. augustg

augustg Savant (280) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

FFF Biggs' 'Stache was my most heartbreaking. A rare miss on this one.
  38. I just barely made it through Stone's Belgo Anise IRS. Other than that, the only beer I ever detested enough to actually dump it after several sips was Orkney Skullsplitter. Just absolutely putrid.
  39. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

The only drain pours I can remember are the infected Rabbid Duck that my friend brought me.... I was looking forward to it (I live in NY and don't trade yet) all summer and kept it in the fridge and good lord was it funky. Heartbreaking pour.
    I also drained a Monk's Cafe red because I just couldn't take the vinegar but I've got to try a not-found-in-the-back-of-a-store bottle. Same defense for Sam Smiths Russian Imperial Stout. Villee.
  40. Mikkeller monks brew with cherries aged in red wine barrels. Bought this to share with a buddy on a recent trip to Los Angeles. We we expecting a nice sour Kreik style beer and mikkeller rarely disappoints. This was one of the rare complete failures. The nose was enough to make you gag while topping the glass. The taste was as far as possible from the description. It was like someone took a the beer, threw in a bag of rotten raisins and prunes and aged it for a year in plain barrel that first soaked with moldy toilet water. Drain pour after two sips.