1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (375) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Last drain pour was a Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA. Could of been partially my fault for keeping it around too long (got pushed to the back of the fridge and really didn't rediscover it until moving), but it just seemed really off and possibly infected. Took one sip, and one more for good measure just to make sure it wasn't just a foamy sip (since the bottle had foamed up when opening) and down the drain it went.

2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

No worries, here are some posts from Pipeworks from another thread...

littletriggers likes this.
  3. Say wha?! Did not expect to see that on this thread as it is one of the best Belgians I've ever had. Yeah, Pumking and Creme Brulee stout are super sweet and I can see (yet not understand) why some people would drain pour them, although I love both those beers. But I think Biere De L'Amitie is superbly well done and I'm surprised to find someone who doesn't enjoy it, much less find it justifiable to drain pour.

Another one that puzzles me since it's a solid Belgian IPA IMO.

4. Also try Green Flash Le Freak and Stone Cali-Belgique. Two excellent BIPAs.

5. VaTechHopHead

VaTechHopHead Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2008

I need to add Lost Abbey Veritas 009 to this list as well!

6. Must have
    Must have been a bad bottle. Skullsplitter is.really good

SeaOfShells likes this.
  7. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Yep, it sure does! I have actually had it on a few occasions and for a light beer, I think it's pretty good...and I must again stress for a light beer.

[​IMG]

gtermi likes this.
  8. gpawned

I'm not sure why I'm so pissed that Surly Syx is on this list. I'd probably object less if you actually thought it was a bad beer...not being able to finish it due to intoxication does not a drain pour make.

(if that was just a joke and I missed the humor...just understand that I didn't think it was funny :p)

9. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

CC Marshall Zhukov - I can't handle too much sweetness and this tasted like molasses. Would love suggestions on stouts to avoid based on my drain pour tale.

10. gpawned

I tried this beer for the first time recently from 2 different years/sources and 1 was terrible (believe it was infected) and the other was amazing. Where did you try this and how old was it?

If you hate sweet stouts avoid Dark Lord 2012 (not sure about the others) at all costs.

11. I definitely considered that since I purchased it in the singles aisle at Total Wine & More (my place of employment at the time) and sometimes those somewhat obscure imports can sit on the shelf a good while. However, what made me buy it in the first place was the amount of people that would come in and ask for it so I figured it must get decent rotation. Although, when people came in looking for it they always wanted packs, not singles, so who knows? I'll try it again somewhere down the road just to make sure.

12. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Best drain pours:

13. North Coast Old Rasputin, Thirsty Dog Siberian Nights, Founders Breakfast Stout(if you can still find it) and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout to name a few (these are some of my favorite stouts so a bit of bias included)

14. VaTechHopHead

Surly syx is drain pour worthy in my book, it was bland and tasted like a dull boring honey mess with cheap alcohol added. (you're still the man for giving me a bottle ehammond1!)

ehammond1 likes this.
  15. Imbalanced, overly sweet and bitter. I may have had an old bottle, but without a bottle date one would never know for sure.

16. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

~*~GaSp!~*~ I could do no such thing as this...
    I have not yet tried this beer, however, I saw it on sale at my packy... $15!
    I've seen others paying around $10 for this beer.
    Don't get me wrong, I've paid for bombers more expensive, but really?
    If I'm going to be buying $15 for a 4-pack, I better be sweating/bleeding/pissing out every last drop! :p

17. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Go on, tell me how you really feel! jk!
    Should I sit on my bottle for a time, or is it simply a failure of a beer?

18. gpawned

I've had the pleasure of trying Syx twice...first time was at The Great Taste of the Midwest and it was my final beer after 5 hours. My palate was destroyed but it was about as bland as BCBS and King Henry IMO. The flavor was intense and complex.

I was excited to get to try it again at a bottle share a couple months ago and it was a big hit there as well. I agree that it was strong on the honey, sweetness and you could taste the alcohol...but bland and boring I have a hard time understanding. Maybe a bad bottle or a horrible pairing with whatever you had before it? Obviously to each his own, but I have a hard time imagining someone going there with that description. Either way, I hope you get to try it again some time.

19. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I've never drain poured but I highly considered Sixpoint Autumnation (last year's, haven't tried the 2012) and Weyerbacher Idiot's Drool.

20. headbucket

headbucket Savant (275) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

Count another for pumking. My first drainpour and i was very against wasting beer up until that point but i was literally getting a headache and upset stomach from all the spices in it. Pumking taught me not to force myself to drink beers i dont like.

21. gpawned

I think it will get better with age for sure, but if you've never tried it, go for it, just don't feel like you should be in a rush. Delicious though.

ehammond1 likes this.
  22. VaTechHopHead

It's probably your cellar temp, ha. No, it's just not my style of beer and coming from surly it was a compete disappointment for me. I'll open my surly five with you!

23. DFH World Wide Stout. '09 bottle drank in early '11. had wanted to get one for years and never had the opportunity. i really, REALLY wanted to like this beer. split a bottle with my girlfriend, we both drank about 2 oz worth over an hour, hoping it would get better as it warmed up. i didnt get any nice roasted or chocolate flavors i hope for in a stout, just sweetness and raisins with nothing else to balance it. i didnt think it was too boozy by any means, but it felt like drinking concentrated raisin juice with extra sugar added just for the hell of it. i've powered through some bad beers, but thats one of my only drain pours.

that, and these two Trader Joe bottles promptly went down the drain...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/76402
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27642/82249

gpawned likes this.
  24. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Cellar temp?!?!?!! I'd just got it in the mail a few days before I gifted it to you!
    How about Surly Four? I wasn't a fan of Five. :rolleyes:

25. PatYoda

PatYoda Savant (275) Colorado Oct 22, 2004

Green Flash Palate Wrecker. I actually enjoy almost all DIPAs but this one was just way too bitter and piney to want to finish. I made it through a few ounces.

26. Im not gonna lie, I traded for a DL11 and took like 4 sips and poured the rest out. It tasted like a sugar infused soy sauce, just awful. Even thinking about it makes me cringe.

27. PatYoda

PatYoda Savant (275) Colorado Oct 22, 2004

I've had 30+ Dark Lords over the years but the only one I ever drain poured was a 2004. This was in 2008 or so, when it was already extremely rare, and I traded some Andechser Doppelbocks that I had brought back from Germany for it. I could tell it was a short fill before I opened it and suspected the worst due to oxidation. Unfortunately my fears were confirmed when I opened it and it was like pure soy sauce. I have greatly enjoyed the vast majority of the other Dark Lords I've had to pleasure to drink though.

28. It's boozy as hell. I had it last weekend. I actually liked it.

ehammond1 and gpawned like this.
  29. Phacoman

Phacoman Savant (265) Pennsylvania Jun 26, 2011

Agreed. Ta henket tastes like pencil shavings. Couldn't finish a glass.

30. Dragons Milk i had high hopes but they crashed and burned and it went down the drain

arniepnminne likes this.
  31. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I have drain poured Budweiser every time I have had it. It tastes bad and the carbonation tears me up.

32. Last time I had it was out fishing on my buddy's boat. Lake poured it.

gtermi likes this.
  33. bstyle

bstyle Champion (805) Indiana Apr 27, 2006

My drain threw up and then called me a bitch![​IMG]

arniepnminne likes this.
  34. aljordan

aljordan Aficionado (145) Indiana May 2, 2006

I just drain poured a Wayerbacher double simcoe. it was 2 or 3 years old. I got thru about 9 ounces of the stuff.

35. DFH Festina PĂȘche. Just awful.

36. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

New Belgium Ranger IPA - I couldn't do it, Too bitter.
    Saint Arnold Sailing Santa (Aged 1yr) - Think it skunked on me, Bomber had floaties in it...Too bitter.
    Belhaven Scottish Ale - Just wrong in every way.
    Duchesse De Bourgogne - Just...wierd, tasted like sweet Worcestershire Sauce to me.
    Ace Pumpkin Cider - Just...No.

37. You poured out the Duchesse!? Blasphemy! You may have gotten a bad bottle of Bellhaven and I poured out my first Ranger. I'm going to give it a second chance though.

38. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

I've drain-poured probably upward of 75-100 beers. I truly see no reason to force down a food or beverage that I dislike.
    I hate wasting food, as I feel it's disrespectfull toward the farmers and animals that feed us, but in the case of beer and prepared meals, if the damage is done, it's done. And shame on those who fucked it up, not the person who decided to make a purchase and was met with something unpalettable. That being said, in an effort to not be wasteful I avoid buying things I know I'll hate. When it does happen though, I'm not about to grimace my way through 12oz + just because I paid for it. I'll dispose of it even if it's something I slightly dislike and replace it with something I love and will enjoy. Drinking beer is about enjoying flavors.

39. I just found out that Friendship Brew and Biere De L'Amitie are two different beers...my bad. :oops: Now I feel like a dumbass. Ha. In my defense, how often do the same two breweries collaborate on multiple beers? I guess that should be a thread of its own.

40. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

If one of my loved ones was dying of thirst I would not give them this beer to save their life.

WassailWilly likes this.