1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. I try not to drain pour beers, because I'm a frugal sob but I couldn't help but drain pour Rumpkin. Just wayyyy too sweet.

2. I actually liked Voodoo Doughnut Bacon. It's got a very specific audience, though, given the distinct flavors involved. So I can understand drainpours for it from folks. If anyone wants to mail their bottles to me instead of pouring them out, just let me know... :)

gpawned likes this.
  3. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Thanks to this thread I decided to give Raging Bitch another shot. Not as horrible as I remember however, I could only get through 3/4 of it before I had to dump it and move on to something else...yeah, it is clearly just not for me...

4. Behemoth 2011 and Belmont 15 were undrinkable. Myself and a close friend drain poured both bottles almost instantly after we tried them. Bummed because I was really looking forward to these two beers.

5. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Savant (385) California Jun 16, 2008

bullyguppy and battle priest. Foul doesn't even begin to describe these beers.

6. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

For me it was Creme Brûlée, way too sweet. Other than that's its usually a beer where I fall asleep mid session and wake up to nasty old beer lol

ehammond1 likes this.
  7. I almost poured out Arrogant Bastard. But I 'struggled through it" and finished it. I do not believe in drain pours, and I'm amazed that anyone pours out perfectly well-made beer that's more than likely not cheap. But to each his own. And yes, i realize there are infected brews out there, but in 14 years of drinking beer, I haven't had one single infected beer.

8. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

This weekend dumped a 2011 Stone Old Guardian after a few sips. Usually a favorite of mine, 2011 was paint thinner. I have let a couple age these 18 months. Popped one this weekend, and it is still fucking paint thinner. I will probably give away my last 2011.

9. LOCAL

LOCAL Savant (325) New Hampshire Oct 29, 2006

Just went down to the cellar and found a 2010 Treblehook barleywine. Taste was the most aweful thing ever. Literally made me gag. Something went VERY wrong with this one.

10. I'm not sure why there's so much hate for this beer. They did a pretty fine job making it taste as advertised. Some advice to those who haven't tried it, if you don't want to drink a beer that tastes like maple bacon donut, don't buy that big pink bottle of maple bacon donut beer, you'll probably end up pouring it down the drain! ;)

darknova306 likes this.
  11. A buddy opened a Bully Guppy at a tasting recently. Easily (by a mile) the most horrendous beer I've ever experienced. Smelled like pure nail polish remover, and I gagged when I tasted it. Good to know my body rejects things that taste/smell like poison. It's offensive that that was sold.

leschkie likes this.
  12. Myst279

Myst279 Aspirant (25) Nov 17, 2012

Not very many beers have been so bad, in my opinion, that I simply couldn't swallow.... but there have been a couple. Green Flash rayon vert tasted awful. (reminded me of a bandaid) I'd like to think that maybe it was just that bottle. Green Flash imperial ipa..... gave me a gag reflex..... which is sad because the west coast ipa is great. But the imperial turned out to be very popular at the bar. I have alot of respect for Green Flash beers but these dissapointed me very much. Oh.... and samuel adams summer seasonal tastes like ass. That is all.....

Coldsnack likes this.
  13. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

Tonight Blasphemy from Weyerbacher, it really sucked. To sweet and boozy and reminded me of onion soup.

14. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

15. Last drain pour: Unibroue Trois Pistoles...just awful. Ungodly.

16. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

Same thing happened to me and a group of buddies. We should have known better though but wanted to try it anyway.....when a beer gets a 63 from RateBeer it has to be god awful.

17. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

As mentioned a handful of times, Pumking is also awful, couldn't even finish my share of the bomber when drinking with friends. On the bright side, when trying almost all new things, when you've got a group almost nothing makes the drain since you aren't asked to have to man up as much.

18. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

My most recent drain pour was Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous. I was looking forward to this for a while too. I have two bombers left in my cellar, and I look forward to another try. I'm pretty sure I only poured it because I wasn't in the mood for a black IPA. I have had Sam Adam's and Widmer Bros and didn't care for either. I'm planning to wait until this upcoming summer to try the next bomber.

19. CosmicTom

CosmicTom Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2012

I have never poured a beer down a drain. However I have come close with Arrogant Bastard, Three Philosophers and Cuvée Van Der Kaiser Blauw. The latter of the three had to have been a bad bottle because it was the most abhorrent thing I have ever tasted.

20. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Bottleworks 13th was disgusting, 13 malts and peated malt just made for a complete mess of a beer... vomit.

21. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. Disgusting.

afrokaze likes this.
  22. ChiPool

ChiPool Aficionado (185) Illinois Nov 6, 2011

Rogue Yellow Snow

23. Mordhaus

Mordhaus Aficionado (150) Texas Jul 6, 2012

Great. I have a bomber of this and was planning on drinking it tonight. We'll see how it goes.

Interesting to see Raging Bitch on the list, as well. We only got it for a short time last year in my neck of the woods and I'm eagerly awaiting it's return (if that ever even happens).

My last two drain pours were Ska's Tru Blonde Ale and Abbot Ale. Wish I hadn't bought a whole sixer of the Ska. I couldn't give it away, so it was a multiple drain pour. The Abbot was a bigger let down. I built it up in my head long before trying it and it got an immediate Price is Right loser horn.

24. Jw lees harvest ale 2001. Just..made my stomach turn. Maybe it was a bad bottle. Will revisit. Have a 2008 waiting to be cracked. Most smoked beers I have ended up pouring. I'm beginning to accept they just aren't for me.
    Oh, and a year old Double Trouble. That thing did NOT turn into a mythic barleywine.

25. Neighbor gave me a Double Take pale ale. Fucking horrible.

JulianC and afrokaze like this.
  26. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I've never had a beer bad enough that no one around me would drink. If I don't like a beer, I give it to someone who does.

27. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

Creme Brulee was horrendous. None of the people in our tasting group could even finish their 2oz taster

28. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Early in my craft beer days i had gotten 6 btls of 2008 BCBS and although i love stouts i was definitly not ready for that beer and ended up drain pouring 2 btls of it cuz i couldnt handle it. I know, shame on me but at least now i love the beer and would never make that mistake again...CHEERS

29. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

The worst I've ever had though was Moylan's Barleywine. I got about 3 sips into it and felt like I was going to throw up, and drainpoured it. Without a doubt the worst barleywine I think that exists on this earth

afrokaze likes this.
  30. MightyDog

MightyDog Aficionado (220) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Saison Du Buff...I went and chewed on a tree to cleanse my palate

31. Some disgusting raunch beer smoked bullshit from a Sam Adams variety pack. I didn't even drain pour it, I threw it at a tree and went inside.

RelentlessLefty and Jules11788 like this.
  32. nachos

nachos Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 4, 2012

porch peach lounger, pretty much the worst beer I've had in a long time.

33. Well Beet maybe a Heineken is more to your liking lol
    [​IMG]

34. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I know, I know, state the obvious...SA Infinium, really hoped the $ spent would magically make it a tolerable drink. And Voodoo Donut, I'm not piling on. I drain poured the beer, but kept the bottle around for 3 days, just to sniff it, and ask,"Why GOD, Why?!? Why can't it taste like the aroma? Your are a cruel, fickle diety!"

afrokaze likes this.
  35. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

This is a little different than the normal drain poor story but this afternoon I cracked open a 2009 Mirror Mirror and was saddened to find out it was infected. Down the drain it went. Next try was a Town Hall Czar Jack (was really excited for this one) that I traded for. Infected as well... Down the drain too.

Decided the third go around needed to be quality and reliable.....opened up a BCBCS. It is currently being slowly poured down the drain that is my throat.

36. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

Chelada and some ~30 cent German radler I had in Berlin were the only two beers I've ever drainpoured. Admittedly, a friend and I had real trouble killing Mikkeller Black together, but we persevered - and emerged completely knackered by the end of it.

37. Some 2011 Abita Christmas Ale was delivered to our store by mistake. When the distributor rep came to bring us the 2012, he let me take some of the 2011. Free beer, why not(even if it is Abita)?

2011 Abita Christmas Ale does not age well. 12 bottles down the drain.

I also poured about half of a La Folie down the drain because it agitated one of my teeth to the point where I couldn't drink anything for the rest of the night. No one else wanted the rest. It turned out that the pain was a cavity.

38. Samuel Adams triple bock soy sauce bomb and recently had Anderson valley winter solstice

39. FatSean

FatSean Savant (255) Connecticut Jul 4, 2006

Sam Adam's "Long Shot" from a few years back. A Lavender beer. One sip, passed it. Went round the room and to the sink. It was like chewing on potporrie (sp).

The runner up was some kind of smoke beer that literally tasted like burning.

40. Even fresh, that beer was horrible.

WassailWilly likes this.