1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain pour tales...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by evilcatfish, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Yeah, the reviews didn't really have me foaming at the mouth to drink it.
  2. Fresh Oak-Aged Yeti a few years ago...DAMN it's a bit harsh when young...had a 2yr old kegged (and properly stored) version, and it wasn't bad at all...maybe my palate, maybe the beer?

Also, fought through JW Lees Lagavulin barrel...like JW Lees, love single-malts, but DAMN...barely got it down
  3. BYOFB

BYOFB Savant (285) Wisconsin Dec 11, 2010

Stone 16th Anniversary is crap. Lemon Verbena, Lemon Oil and a bunch of Rye Malt.... Just didn't work. Two sips and done. I just saw Stone/IPA/Anniversary and bought two bottles. Perplexed as to what to do with the 2nd one...
    Mister_Joshy likes this.
  4. Pumking blows. Drain pour the shit out of it.

Dumped the hell out of DFH Pangaea, too.
  5. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Did exactly the same thing! Given all the people raving about this beer,I decided to revisit it. Bad fking move.It is detestable!
  6. I've drained quite a few beers over the years. If it tastes bad, down the drain it goes. Doesn't matter if it was an expensive beer either. I'll try any beer once but I won't force myself to drink something that just isn't enjoyable.

The highest rated beer I've drained poured is Pumking. (The 2011 edition.) I tried it twice to make sure. Just plain awful on my palate.
  7. Indian wells IPA and doppelbock. Do they have quality control at their brewery? How do they let this stuff out the door?
  8. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (255) Texas Jul 12, 2012

Drainpoured ST Jahva.

sighs.
    Nicolay3535 likes this.
  9. Should poured it into tomato paste to make an awesome pasta sauce!:D
  10. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

Funny, this specific beer was the one that got me into craft beer. Had one recently that was in and out of the fridge and the taste was cloyingly sweet. Odd how palates change because at first it was a great beer
    whendeathsleeps likes this.
  11. I'm about to drain pour a glass of Old Man Winter Ale from Southern Tier. It tastes like priming sugar...
  12. Anderson Valley has a kegging/transportation problem. We've gotten their summer and winter solstice, which i both love in a can or bottle, in kegs over the last 2 years and 75% of the time we've had to send the kegs back.

Much of the local bars in Philadelphia have agreed with us. The draft pours tasted either soapy or vinegarish in all bad cases spread across the region.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  13. nicks6217

nicks6217 Savant (360) California Jan 15, 2010

At a tasting last week 3 out of 4 of us drained poured Veritas 03, it has to either be the Angel share or Amazing Grace that made this so horrible.
  14. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

Poured a bottle of DFH Festina Peche, bad bottle maybe?? Terrible from the start.
    And sick as it may sound, i love BCBS in the cold to semi cold range of temp. but if it gets to warm, i cannot finish it.
  15. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I can honestly say I have never drain poured as of yet. This is why I am a big fan of buying single bottles instead of 4/6 packs. I will suffer through one and be glad to move on to something better.
    Ispeakforthetrees and WynnO like this.
  16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

ME?!? I've been drinking Heineken for like 84 years, bro!
    WassailWilly likes this.
  17. Wiscobrew

Wiscobrew Aficionado (210) Nevada Feb 19, 2011

Wow, we just had a 2001 JW lees Harvest on a night with KH, MOAS, Abacuas, and Sucaba and it fit right in with them. Wish it were a bigger bottle!
  18. Boston beer work's Tenacious traveler shandy. Only drain pour I remember
  19. That wasn't a bad bottle, my friend. How do they call that an authentic Berlinerweiße when the God forsaken Reinheitsgebot says no fruit in beer?! All DFH can piss off. Modern Berlinerweiße as interpreted by someone that knows no history of beer is more like it.
  20. Yeah? That beer ruined my credit, screwed my sister, and threw up in the trunk of my car.

Alright, all three of those were actually me, but the beer is also to blame.
    Bonko_the_sane likes this.
  21. It is always said that Craft beer is quality beer, and BMC is not.

300 posts in a drain pour thread.

My reason for this is that if you are drain pouring a Craft beer it may be due to poor quality.
  22. Aw, I loved Lion stout. I think it's probably better amidst tasting a variety of stouts, though. I had it at a stout-only tasting and thought it was very pleasantly unique, much earthier and less saccharine than many of the others, and with a touch of licorice.
  23. WynnO

WynnO Savant (490) Florida Oct 24, 2003

Drain pours are merely a violent disagreement between the beer and the individual's palette. I know people who would drain pour a Duchesse. Don't put too much into it.
  24. I was given a sample of this last night and was very, very glad I didn't just take the chance and order a full glass sight unseen. Cough syrup and liquid band-aids are right on, might I add that I found it exhibited notes of gross old lady perfume, as well?
  25. One definition of quality is that the product meets customer expectations. I know many of the beers on here were ones that people were not familiar with or did/do not care for the style.

Duchesse is not one of my favorite, as I taste the artificial sweeteners they use. Give me a Rodenbach Grand Cru over a Duchess. The Rodenbach meets my expectation of what a Flanders Red should be, the Duchesse not so much.
  26. I really think a lot of peoples' gripes in this thread could be solved by breweries bottling their bolder and strangers beers in 12 oz portions instead of 22 oz, and include a disclaimer that you still ought to split the 12 oz with someone anyway. I feel exactly that way about pretty much all of the Southern Tier imperial series. I thought both of the beers you mentioned were pretty pleasant, but I was happy with 3 oz of each and that's about it.
  27. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Advocate (525) New Jersey Feb 23, 2004

Dogfish Head Immort Ale. It was a few years ago but I can still remember the oak, the smokiness, the vanilla, and the intense, intense, hot, hot heat from the alcohol... Makes me shudder just thinking about it. Only of my only drain pours, probably should have let it age a bit. Lesson learned.
  28. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I really hate to say this, but I must: Dark Horse Brewing Company's Kmita Kolsh. I think half of it disembarked down the drain, and actually very probably more . It was astonishingly dark, and at least to me, a bit of a puzzler!

Going down the drain isn't "an often" around here.
  29. Alpine Chez Monieux. Blue cheese in a bottle. At a tasting with 10 to 12 people almost the entire bottle was left at the end of the day. (The taste was milder blue cheese, but cheesy none the less.)
  30. I haven't seen any Indian Wells beers in SoCal in months. Not a bad thing.
  31. Victory wild devil was a drain pour. Though this was years ago when i was just getting into craft beers seriously, i will revisit this beer next chance i get.

Lilja's Hop Nest Monster - Terrible ipa that showed up at local bottleshop. Odd hoppy flavor mixed with sour malts, Bout 2 drinks and it ended up down the drain.
  32. Hi Ryan, we're sorry to hear about these experiences. Although there were a few instances this past summer of Summer Solstice kegs being returned with off-flavors, to our knowledge there have been no issues with our Winter Solstice cooperage this season. We take our QA/QC very seriously and work diligently to address issues that come up in the trade. Would you be willing to share specific information regarding these Winter kegs (ie account name, when purchased, contact info, etc)? We love the Philadelphia craft beer scene and would truly appreciate your help in this matter.
    Many thanks and Bahl Hornin,

Steve Miller (aka Steinber Kimmie)
  33. I never tried the others but Stone Smoked porter is a pretty decent beer. It has to be cold tho.
  34. Hi Brian,
    Just wanted to check-in to get more info about your recent Winter Solstice experience. Was this your first time tasting it? Was it from a bottle, can, or draft? Obviously tastes are subjective and not everyone will like every beer, but if you're willing, we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Steve Miller (aka Steinber Kimmie)
  35. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Dogfish Head's pumpkin beer, whatever it's called, is the only beer I've ever drainpoured. It was so nasty after I poured it out I had to rinse my mouth.
  36. I am not Brian, but I had a can of Winter Solstice a few weeks ago and it definitely had something weird going on. You can read my review here if you like:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/193/2081/?ba=UCLABrewN84
  37. Honestly i wasn't sure if it was the flavor profile that was chosen or a bad beer. it has a strong nutmeg or cinnamon taste mixed with vinegar. i just couldnt finish it. I still love Anderson valley beer a lot .
  38. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I want to say you have bad taste, but I think I'm not supposed to.

39. Lol, damn man I think you're missing the whole idea behind Dogfish Head.
  40. I'm not. I remember when they were an amazing brewery and remember how much light they shed on the world of craft when I was younger going down the shore with my family. They have no rhyme or reason behind their methods, anymore. They've all but ruined their name. Everything is some hippy test, now. It's ridiculous.