1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain Pouring, acceptable?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 23, 2013.

1. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Just wondering what the general consensus was on this. I like to fill 10/12.7/16oz growlers up with the remaining beer of a big bottle to drink the next night. The only time I DP is when a beer is God awful. One of those disgusting barrel aged Mikkellers comes to mind.
    kmatlack likes this.
  2. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

My feeling is, if you're not going to drink it than it's just taking up space so get rid of it. I try to first see if any friends/family will take it. If no takers then down the drain it goes.
  3. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

If I don't enjoy a beer, I stop drinking it. That usually results in it getting poured out in the sink. No need to slog through something that I don't like.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

DP if it isn't worth drinking. I throw away lousy pizza too - not worth the calories.
    kmatlack, Hopsiam14, ChanChan and 3 others like this.
  5. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

It's your beer you can do whatever you want with it. General I use any remaining for cooking, though some aren't fit for cooking and then I end up drain pouring dinner.
  6. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

If the beer sucks and you hate drinking why do it? Because you don't like to waste beer? It it's not good it's not good, hell I drain poured a Maharaja that was way too sweet and I hated it so down it went.
    Mercury4040 and 19etz55 like this.
  7. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

If I don't like a beer, I force myself to finish it. That way, the memory of the disgusting taste remains in my head for a long time to teach me a valuable lesson not to purchase "anything on the shelf that looks good".
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Yeah, been there, done that. I will say that if I come across another infected beer, I won't drain pour it. Mix it with a quality IPA and the sink drain goes thirsty.;)
  9. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I'll drainpour only if it's physically too painful to finish drinking because of a stomach ache, or acid reflux, or gag reflex... but if it's just a mediocre brew, then I'll finish it.
  10. I've drain poured beers based on aroma alone without even taking a sip.

Like a gangsta...
  11. I offer bottles to friends usually. I do mention I wasn't a fan, but my taste buds have no bearing on theirs.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  12. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Actually gangsters do not pour beer down the drain, they pour it on the ground. For their homies. Nomsayin?
  13. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I dont like it, down the drain it goes. Too many other beers I like to waste brain cells on beer I don't like.
    BradStokley likes this.
  14. Touché. Gangstas don't say "touché" either, do they?
  15. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

with those rules how do you get to try new stuff that you might or might not like?
  16. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I only drainpour if its infected or makes me feel like throwing up.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am having deja vu, I thought I already responded to this thread. Anyway stop wasting your time and use a wine stopper instead of pouring into a growler, it works better. As for drain pours, it has to be awful to go down the drain, I hate wasting money.
    beercanman, looseteeth, JrGtr and 5 others like this.
  18. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

I should have said "everything" instead of "anything". Like many BA's I still make the mistake of buying shitty beer from time to time. I guess I just don't drain pour in order to teach myself a lesson. I also tend to purchase beer on the expensive side, so I feel guilty about drain pouring it...
  19. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

I try to give my Bad purchases (few but still happens) to someone, maybe they'll enjoy it..
    :) BUT there are times when even I don't want to be associated with one..so YES the Drain does operate in my house 4 Absolute shit!
  20. I drain pour whalez.

JK, not really.
    I'd only drain pour something infected or something that literally made me want to puke (Mikkeller Black Hole).
    kmatlack and StubFaceJoe like this.
  21. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

22. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Totally acceptable. Why drink something that is godawful? Drain pour away!
    Retail1LO likes this.
  23. RMoeNay

RMoeNay Advocate (505) Connecticut Sep 22, 2010

They do in Montreal...

My BMC friends who are starting to get 'interested' in craft beers, get my mediocre brews (saving quality ones for those who bring/appreciate em), as for the awful ones - those go to the gators in the sewer.
    mecummins and Brunite like this.
  24. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

Taste like shit = dump it
  25. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

You bought it didn't you? Do whatever the hell you want with it.
  26. There's entirely too much good beer out there to have to suffer through the bad. Besides ingesting meaningless calories...we only get to drink so many beers at a tasting. And seeing as how we don't get to get together for tastings but once a week, I don't want to spend my time laboring through shit beer. Get rid of it, and move on.
    CTJman and Bitterbill like this.
  27. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

It's beer, not some religious symbol. If you don't like it, pour that shit. You won't go to hell for it, I promise. :)
    GRG1313 likes this.
  28. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Sometimes drain pouring is a neccesity. I never feel bad about it.
  29. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I just did it with a bottle of Bud Light Platinum. Thank goodness we have a store in town that sells mixed 6 packs.;)
    hardy008 likes this.
  30. Acceptable for whom?

Facepalm #DrainPourValidation
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  31. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

I actually take it a step further that that. If I buy a beer that is highly rated here (the only ones I dare try); and I hate it, I force myself to drink it. Then....I proceed to another. Then another. I continue until I have an epiphany and start loving the beer. Why? Because the collective tastes of everyone here surely knows more about what I should like and do with my beer than I do!;)
  32. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

If I don't like what I'm drinking, down the drain it goes. Having a beer is supposed to be about enjoying the experience of having a good beer. Why waste your time and calories on something you don't enjoy? That's why God (or GE, depending upon your personal belief system) invented beer fridges. Just open the door and get a different bottle.
    Brunite and Barrelsnbeer like this.
  33. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Why wouldn't you drain pour something you don't like? You own it, you presumably bought it for the purpose of enjoyment, not senseless inebriation. Would you keep eating food that was disgusting?

I'm more and more likely to pour it out lately. Why would I kill my liver, kill my brain cells, and get fat doing something I'm not enjoying?

If I KNOW I'm not going to like it, i.e. someone brought a party gift of very average beer, I'll find someone who will - a neighbor just out of college, a snowed-in blizzard party, a relative with different taste in beer.

Last night I tried a bunch of random things left in the fridge - party gift left-overs, cellar experiments, old trade extras, etc; the drain got a lot of exercise. I have no problem doing this - the cost to me was less than a single pour of a good quality strong beer at a bar in a city, and I'm not hung over today.
  34. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Drainpouring isn't a strong enough action of disdain for those barrel-aged Mikkeller beers. I generally smash them on the ground, douse the shards in gasoline and burn them, then salt the earth for 5 feet around.
    kmatlack and HopHead84 like this.
  35. I sometimes just skip the whole drain pour thing and throw the unopened bottle in the trash.
    Hermthegerm likes this.
  36. word to yo motha
  37. My latest DP was Razzy Xpress. It was a recommendation from the beer guy at the store. Holy crap it was brown colored urine.
  38. Absolut

Absolut Savant (420) California Sep 19, 2011

I'm not even sure why it's an issue. If you brought home take-out food and it was crap, would you force yourself to eat it? I'd throw it out and eat something else. Same for beer.

Life is too short for bad beer. There are too many good/great ones to enjoy.
  39. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (770) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I've surprisingly never drainpoured a beer in my life, and I've had countless beers that I didn't enjoy at all.. if I don't like it, I ususally just suck it up and finish it..
  40. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Buy a capper and some caps at your local homebrew store and your undrank beer will keep just fine for at least a couple of days. No need to futz with pouring into a growler, because unless you have CO2 to remove the air from your growler, your beer will oxidize very rapidly. I've also found that vacuum wine sealers work pretty well, though I now use a rubber wine stopper that you twist to expand so you're guaranteed an airtight seal. Works like a charm.

As for beer I hate, I won't hesitate to pour it out, even after a sip or 2. Life is too short, and my cellar too full of good stuff, to suffer a shitty beer.