1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain Pouring, acceptable?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 23, 2013.

1. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I'll dump beer I don't like, and occasionally dump half a glass of beer at the end of the night. (sometimes I just shouldn't have opened that last beer) It's not exactly a crime against humanity.
  2. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Hell yes, there are way to many calories in beer to force yourself to drink something you find revolting. I try to limit myself to two beers a night, will not waste one of them on a beer I dont enjoy drinking.
    Andygirl likes this.
  3. I havent drain poured in a while. I did it a lot early on in my craft beer drinking because I just couldnt handle the overpowering hop flavors in certain beers. Now that I'm more used to it those same beers I drained poured then I would drink up now. I drain poured Goose Island IPA a beer you wouldnt even consider to be a very hoppy IPA compared to the best ones but at the time I was so new to the style so I couldnt tolerate it. I also drain poured Lagunitas Red Ale and Widmer Bros Drifter Pale Ale because they were too hoppy and I thought they were gross lol.
  4. bierenutz

bierenutz Savant (310) Michigan Jan 21, 2010

Let's face it, in the craft brew world there are so many choices now our heads are spinning and most of us want to try as many different beers as possible. In that quest, we are fortunate to enjoy many hits and if you're lucky a few home runs. However, when a beer strikes out with me I just move on to the next one. If you want to call that snobbery or wasteful, that's fine. Neither I nor the beer going down the drain will hold your opinion against you.
  5. I typically offer it to somebody else first, But since none of my friends can handle anything that isn't a BMC product, More often than not it hydrates my sink. The last thing I drain poured was a Natural Ice which I bought to review just for the hell of it. It was a pretty bad beer, But it wasn't uhhhh " Terrible " I guess you could say. I could have finished it, But why? I had better things to review in my fridge so I dumped it. Usually if a beer is too sweet I'll dump it, Especially if I'm already pretty well lit since Sweet + Drunken me usually doesn't mix to well.
  6. Why kill the palate with something that doesn't taste right? No brainer, after a couple sips, you'll know. Once you discover a poor beer, it's time to be quick and efficient;
    1. Save the palate and take no more than two sips
    2. Get up from favorite chair, take skunky brew to kitchen sink
    3. Engage in drain pour ceremony
    4. Re-visit beer fridge and reach for a known favorite, pour into fresh serving vessel
    5. Enjoy and contemplate the saved palate, good decision making skills
    bierenutz and jrnyc like this.
  7. Have only had to drain pour one beer, a Duchesse...god awful. As everyone else in this thread has said, if you don't like it dump it, who cares?
  8. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

If you paid for it you can do whatever you want with it.
  9. For some reason I read this, then looked at your avatar - then laughed really hard
  10. I poured out a cerise last night. gross.
  11. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

If someone wants to drain pour a BA Mikkeller beer, if it's Weasel Brunch Calvados, I'll take it.
  12. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

Different strokes for different folks. Threads like this seem to be over thinking a rather simple thing though, drinking beer.
  13. It's gotta be bad. And I mean BAD. Never drainpour anything mediocre, as I use it to learn about what I DONT value in a beer, and take mental notes on flavors/profiles/etc I DONT want in my homebrew. Also helps me zero in on what I really do value in beers of different varieties. Very few drainpours over my life, but I did pour our our second Mikk. Brunch Weasel (the first was great but this one, a dift. year, was VILE) and, in my young BA days, an oak-aged Yeti that I was certain wasn't supposed to taste like that. In the case of the Yeti, it just so happens that fresh that beer is insanely oaky, and I wasn't ready for it at that point. Oh, and some wretchedly infected homebrew batches.
  14. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

I've never drainpoured a beer before, but it likely has more to do with me being a cheap bastard. I've had beers that I didn't want to drink again, just nothing that made me feel like dumping it. It's certainly acceptable if you are so inclined. You bought the damn beer.
  15. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Simple and to the point. I drainpour a lot of beers. Why waste the calories on something I don't want to drink. Except if I'm drinking to get drunk I guess - which is rare nowadays.

Dope
    jrnyc likes this.
  16. A drain pour is Going to happen. How else would you expand your horizons on craft beer. We've all crawled from the cave to the light. Bad craft happens, and thats a good thing, it means less BMC and more craft. Palets and tastes develop and things i would have drain-poured 5 years ago, I crave now.
  17. I just drain poured a bottle of Founder's Cherise. I love everything I've tried by founders except that one, so down the drain it went.
    JohnnyMc likes this.
  18. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Cook with it you nut bags. Pot roast Sunday's.
  19. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

Holy fock

Reduction of beer with pot roast?

Keep pouring it down the drain nugget.
  20. I'm a strict vegetarian, no pot roast on Sundays for me. And there aren't many vegetarian recipes that call for beer.
    Mediczod likes this.
  21. buler87

buler87 Zealot (80) Illinois Oct 27, 2012

Had my first sink pour in two or three years last weekend. I'm interested to hear which breweries are responsible for the most sink-pours; I saw Mikkeller in this thread twice and have only had great stuff from them.
    kojevergas likes this.
  22. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

In over 2000+ reviews (not all of which are currently posted, you nitpickers), I've had to drainpour two: a horrible German radler and a Budweiser Chelada.

Really, bad beers aren't that bad. Nut up and drink them; there are sober kids in India.

I did once buy all the 30 cent lagers I could find at a Lidl in Berlin. I brought them to my friend's house and reviewed all 30+ of them that night. Drink what you need for the review, then dump the rest in a container/growler to save for getting knackered at a later date.

In any case, I'm very anti drain pour.
    mfnmbvp and Ispeakforthetrees like this.
  23. Now that right there is straight douchebaggetry
  24. Rogue voodoo donut was the only one I couldn't finish. Got halfway through and started to feel sick
  25. Somebody's got "beer muscles" tonight. Tough guy!
  26. ChugginOil

ChugginOil Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 23, 2010

If it's anything like Bully Guppy.....yes
  27. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Chili, soups, tempeh. Try it! Instead of the DP once, who knows what will happen...
  28. I was pretty excited to try the new Rhizing Bines from DFH and SN Life and Limb series. It flat out tasted like soap. Super sweet and just hard to stomach. I poured out the entire thing except for maybe half a pint. I gave it a fair shot but there was no way i was going to save it or give it to anyone else. I did the same thing with Brooklyn 1, 2 and Monster. some beers just need to be sent on their way.
  29. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I drain poured one without swallowing a drop, it was a Wild Devil and as soon as I took a sip I spit it out, if I swallowed it I probably would have gotten sick.
  30. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Why would someone want to cook with a beer that they were thinking of pouring down the drain? Isn't the rule-of-thumb when cooking with wine, use wine that you like to drink? I would think cooking with beer would be the same.
    mecummins and Tmonk13 like this.
  31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Crappy tasting beer would make a crappy tasting dish, the final product is only as good as it's ingredients.
    shuajw likes this.
  32. jmmy3

jmmy3 Savant (335) Massachusetts Nov 30, 2010

I consider it a waste if I hate it, whether or not I finish it doesn't really save the purchase for me at least. I usually would rather not suffer through it and just open something I know I'll enjoy to soften the blow.
  33. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Acceptable for sure! Trying to save the liver as much as possible. Every ounce counts.
  34. I never drain pour any beer - I have a compost pile (5 of them scattered around the property, actually).
    frazbri likes this.
  35. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

It's acceptable with an opened bottle but if you bought a 6 pack opened one and decide you hate it give it away pouring out the 5 unopened ones should be a crime.
  36. mfnmbvp

mfnmbvp Advocate (615) Illinois Nov 28, 2012

Drainpouring a Mikkeller? If I just paid $15+ dollars for a single bottle of beer, you bet your ass I'm going to finish it.
  37. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (350) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

I will first try to drink it an analyze, even if it is oxidized, infected, over-sparged/astringint, etc. Trains your pallete to detect imperfections and helps you appreciate what had to occur for the beer to taste the way it does at that specific moment. Then I'll feed it to the drain. As far as capping a large bottle for another night, I have definitely done this before. I wouldn't let it go too long though, as once oxygen hits it the oxidation process occurs at a much faster rate.
  38. Research
  39. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

I've only purchased a couple of beers I couldn't drink. I gave the rest to my wife. She doesn't know any better. No waste.
  40. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

I dumped FW 15 because it was making me nauseous. But I have a suspicion if I had let it age, it would've drunk much more easily. I 86'd the last bit of a Trois Poules Fran├žais just yesterday because it was making me feel nasty.