1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drain Pouring, acceptable?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by djrn2, Feb 23, 2013.

1. WBD

WBD Zealot (95) South Carolina Feb 3, 2013

I fell sad for you son.

I have 99 problems but a veg is not one.

2. I drain pour most White Birch.

3. Lol. I had 99 problems before I became a vegetarian, now I only have 1 (being a vegetarian).

kmatlack likes this.
  4. Yes. I drain poured a HopSlam the other day.

5. Who cares if it's acceptable? Why do other people need to tell you? Just do it if you want/need to. You won't lose any BA points. By the way, I do it all the time.

6. There are thirsty homeless all over america!

7. spointon

spointon Advocate (605) Illinois Nov 25, 2007

I do some drain-pouring, both with commercial brews and home brews I am not happy with. Life is too short to drink shitty beer.

8. If I don't like a beer I'll pour it out. I don't drink beer just to drink, mostly to taste. Once I've tasted it, if its not great I'll pour it.

9. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

New to this thread, however you actually blindly buy Mikkeller barrel aged brews? :eek:

10. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

Most drain poured beer at my house: Mikkeller beers.

I don't know why I keep wasting my fucking money on their shit. I guess I'd have to blame the damn catchy flashy labels and the way they describe their beers:

"A quad with raisins and passion fruit aged in white wine barrels that we sang christmas carols to every night before bed" then I'm all :rolleyes: OK mikkeller, twist my arm why don't you; ill give you a shot!

If you're going to describe the beer, Mikkeller, do it right: "Barrel aged sewage with dead animal carcasses, rotting fruit, pieces of a transient hooker's soiled attire, and hops that grew on a toxic waste dump under the power lines."

I will go on record however and say that Texas ranger & BA variants as well as Weasel & BA variants are outstanding beers. Also I've never tried any of the above things that I've described Mikkeller beers as. Purely speculation.

Even my drain, drain pours Mikkeller's beers.

DocJitsu and djrn2 like this.
  11. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

I only drain pour beers that are leftover from the previous night if I sleep before finishing it.

Once I encounter a non-bmc beer that is absolutely terrible I'll drain pour it.

12. I think i've poured maybe one beer in my entire life down the drain. Not counting un-drank beers discovered the next morning

13. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Savant (480) California Nov 16, 2009

If you had drank beer before, then the pizza wouldn't be lousy.

14. hshewsf

hshewsf Disciple (60) California Jan 25, 2013

Being curious, I bought a voodoo doughnut. Took a sip and you should be able to figure the rest of the story.

15. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (890) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

What do you do when you try a new beer at a bar and it blows? Pull the old "take the beer to the stall trick"? Thank God for bars that give samples.

16. Being a home brewer, I have a high tolerance for barely "acceptable" drinking beer. Sometimes no matter the care you take the batch doesn't work out. I will usually drink just enough of these to confirm I really don't like and then drainpour the rest. So when I find a commercial craft beer to be unappealing I definitely drain pour immediately. And if I have more of the beer I put the remaining unopened bottles right in the glass recycling unopened. In the case of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy it was 11 bottles of a 12 pack that got recycled intact.

17. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I don't live in a Miller Lite commercial, or at a frat house. So excuse me for not feeling a need to "nut up". (does this mean I lose my man card?)

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This hurt my soul to read, FW 15 is absolutely stellar.

19. Why wouldn't you drain pour? are you really concerned about what others would think?

20. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Once a beer is opened it should be consumed IMO. Not a fan of left over growler beer nor any beer than have sat over night.

Two words ... "beer bread".

Basic recipe, prep work is less than five min. You can also make pizza dough by taking down the baking powder to 1 teaspoon and omitting the butter.

3 cups flour (sifted)
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup sugar
    12 ounces of beer
    1/4 cup melted butter to put on top before baking

Sift all dry ingredients together first. Mixed together until all flour is absorbed. Bake in over @ 375*F for an hour.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  21. DocJitsu

DocJitsu Savant (440) California Dec 28, 2009

I'd had most of it, but it just got to be too much toward the end. Too rich and the alcohol flavor was obtrusive. Believe me, I regret drinking it too green.

22. 5 minutes of prep time, an hour of baking in the oven, and dirty mixing bowls in the sink? I think I will continue to pour that undrinkable beer down the drain myself;).

23. Unless dairy is out for you too, beer and cheddar soup is a great way to use it.

24. If I don't like it, I'll pour it. But if it's a bad beer for whatever reason, I take it back to the beer store, and they happily replace or exchange it.

25. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

The only way in which a drain pour is unacceptable is when you follow it up by bashing people online for enjoying the same beer you hated. Otherwise, you bought the thing so it's your right to stick the bottle in an orifice then run around screaming "I AM THE WALRUS" at a model of 1920's San Francisco, never mind pouring contents down the drain.

26. kmatlack

kmatlack Savant (340) California Mar 29, 2010

I encourage the bros to make some Sam Adams Triple Bock beer bread and let me know how that tastes

kojevergas likes this.
  27. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I'm pretty much the same way. In the past 6 or 7 years, I've only drain poured maybe 5 beers or so. Even if it's something I don't love, I'll still finish it as I find some beers come around a bit more as I get closer to finishing them. The ones I did pour I took at least 3 sips and when I realized I couldn't go further they went down the drain.