1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drake's Aroma Coma being released early?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by fernz18, Apr 11, 2013.

1. I've just checked Drake's Barrel House website and they have it on tap. Also, a bar around my neck of the woods is tapping a keg tonight for their Drake's Tap Takeover. Nevertheless, on Drake's website it says that they release AC around August. Does anyone know if they're releasing early?

p.s. Yes, it is that good! I don't know if this IPA has any hype behind it, but it's definitely good enough to merit the discussion.

Centennial and dcgunman like this.
  2. oya1time

oya1time Zealot (95) California Dec 23, 2010

Interesting....havent seen any lately here in SoCal

3. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I believe they said they're doing a small draft-only batch earlier, but the bottles will be out at the regular time. I'm super excited for Alpha/Omega session soon too. Btw our keg got racked only a few days ago so it should be extra tasty :D hope to see you tonight!

4. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

They did a pilot batch in order to have it on at the Bistro IPA Festival, which is typically in August but was moved to April this year. I can't remember the number of gallons but it's small. The real release, along with Prieta, will be at the normal time.

Centennial likes this.
  5. what's your actual name, I'm at OG probably once a week. :D great place.

6. MarcM

MarcM Aficionado (125) California Aug 19, 2011

They posted on Facebook that the large release will be July 6th.

7. Not an early release just a small batch they made for the Rhyzome fest that was at the Bistro last week from what I heard. And they sent some kegs out to local bars for their enjoyment as well and have it on tap this week at Drakes until it kicks.

8. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

I'm just excited that Alpha is coming in 4-packs this time. Bombers for session beer are a strange concept to me. Looking forward to getting Omega fresh!

Beerandraiderfan and afrokaze like this.
  9. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

I love the smell of AC. I hope they improve on the taste.

10. afrokaze

Goddamn, that Aroma Coma was good.

dcgunman likes this.
  11. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

aroma coma-tose! cant wait.

12. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Like already stated, they did a 15BBL batch...made about 30 kegs, for the Bistro's IPA/Ryzome Fest.

I tried some from the tank while working drakes First Friday event last week, and it was great as always. Went back on Saturday when it was tapped and got my fill.

It's pretty bittersweet that it took home People's Choice at the festival as it was one of Alex's last beers she brewed before she leaves Drakes to head down south to brew.

13. a small amount of bottles were packaged and made it out as well, along with a very very limited amount of kegs

hophead247 likes this.
  14. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

ALEX IS LEAVING? Man, poor Drake's, it seems like they go through a head brewer every 6 months. Well I hope the best for her, where's she going?

15. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Some new brewery in LA.

16. This makes me sad.

17. hophead247

She'll be going to Kinetic Brewing in Lancaster. After Jesse left for Golden Road, it was only a matter of time I guess. Brewer love at it's best.

18. teamizm

teamizm Savant (385) California Feb 4, 2005

Ouch, Lancaster. Meth and craft beer....mmmm

jtmartino likes this.
  19. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

I consider AC one of the best for sure but I'm not happy about 7.99 for one bomber.

20. One of the few Drake beers I enjoy, and by enjoy I mean it is utter awesome. Prieta is meh

21. Had Aroma Coma today, tasted....different. Really good, but different from what I remember.

22. grrrah

grrrah Savant (330) California Sep 21, 2009

They ran out yesterday :(

23. afrokaze

Still on tap at Good Karma in SJ...

24. MssrTussaud

MssrTussaud Initiate (0) California Apr 17, 2013

Do you guys have a live taplist?

25. afrokaze

I don't work there but they did recently update their website, I don't think there's a live list but I know it's still on tap. They also had Pliny bottles 2 days ago.

26. hophead247

We're going to tap our keg at Caps & Taps in Dublin within the next day or two.

27. I was there this afternoon. They said it would be tapped tomorrow at opening!

hophead247 likes this.
  28. I got family in Lancaster, gonna have to pay Kinetic a visit next time I'm down there

29. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

They sent a keg down to the CityBeat festival in San Diego yesterday. I asked them to send the rest to Toronado and they replied "in July."

:(

30. Had it last night at GHS in RWC and it looks like they still have it.

31. Thats just taxation without representation.....this is the part where William Shatner pops outta the roof and starts to negotiate. i seen it as low as $5.99 last year but you know they be greedy. One thing is for sure i would probably spend 7.99 knowing what the outcome would be....pure deliciousness!