1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DavidDulock, Dec 26, 2012.

1. DavidDulock

DavidDulock Zealot (85) Georgia Dec 22, 2011

I was at a store last year, saw this on the shelf and bought it (375mL). It's been my cellar for over a year or so and haven't even thought about looking at the label assuming it's bottled every year. Come to find out, it was bottled in 2005. Is that typical for this beer? Is it bottled every year? Did I happen to come across something special?

Thanks for your help, BAs
  2. I scored an '05 this summer and couldn't believe my good luck. I opened it the same night to make the determination about whether to go back and clean the store out. It poured completely still. I know that this is acceptable with some lambics but I just don't care for still beers. Call me crude but I need a little carbonation in my brews. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Good luck with your bottle. Hope you enjoy it.
  3. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

I had some 2011 Oude Kriek and it was completely still too. It can be off-putting for some, that's for sure.

But not for me. Send me any of their lambics and I'll happily pour them down my gullet.
  4. Kriek is normally still. The '09 was unintentionally carbonated (I think that was the "hot cherry" vintage).
    luwak and aasher like this.
  5. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

And also extremely delicious!
    Geuzedad likes this.
  6. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Had a 2007 recently which was fully carbonated and tasting sensational.

Not sure where the contention that (Oude) Kriek is typically still comes from...
  7. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Dissident has definitely sparked an interest in sour fruity brews. I think krieks, lambics, sours, etc, will be my new exploration focus as i have really never had any of these styles.

Sry for going off topic, you guys just got me thinking how much i want to try these...
  8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Drank a 2007 last week and a 2009 last night :cool:.
  9. And? Thoughts on the difference between the "Hot Cherry" version and the standard release?
  10. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

The 2009 is probably the best vintage I have had and I've had the 05, 06, 07, 09, and 11 vintages. The 07 and the 11 were both really good too. The 06 was in a 750 and I was not impressed at all. Can't remember much about the 05.