1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Driftwood beers in Seattle?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by csano, May 1, 2012.

1. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Has anyone seen any of the Driftwood beers other than Singularity and Old Cellar Dweller at any of the Seattle bottle shops? Specifically, I'm interested in the Bird Of Prey and Belle Royale.

Thanks!

2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Haven't seen those two, but Fat Tug is a worthy IPA available at every Whole Foods I've been to, probably other spots as well. Special Brews up in Lynnwood carries Driftwood beers too, but appears to only have Singularity, Cellar Dweller, and Fat Tug according to their inventory list.

csano likes this.
  3. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

Neither of those made it down. Bird of Prey was a one-off (and a delicious one at that) so you're unlikely to find one outside of trading for it.

csano likes this.
  4. bfg75

One other thing, because of import taxes and so on Driftwood beers are significantly more expensive down here than they are in BC. Maybe worth just driving up when they release something you want and hitting the Alibi Room or St. Augustine's to sample some Canadian beer on tap. Honestly, if you're buying multiple bottles, the price difference would likely at least cover the gas.

I am really happy we get Driftwood down here now...Just have trouble shelling out $20 for anything on my budget haha.

5. csano

Yeah, the $20 price tag on the Singularity hurt a little bit. I was up in Vancouver a few months ago and I don't remember prices being much better for the Old Cellar Dweller.

I'm planning on heading up to Victoria in a few weeks for my wife's birthday, so I'll definitely plan a trip to Driftwood while we're up there. Hopefully it's not too far from downtown.

6. Roosevelt Whole Foods today had a few Driftwood beers I hadn't seen before.

7. bfg75

I used to live in Victoria and don't remember it being that far out of downtown (though Vic is pretty tiny so even far from downtown isn't far)...May want to check this place out while there:

http://www.molerestaurant.ca/

They had great food...also, the Bent Mast in James Bay is a fun place to grab a drink. It's in an old house and has a lovely patio and is where a lot of the locals hang out. I'd also highly recommend Barb's Fish & Chips:

http://www.barbsplace.ca/

I've never had any issues bringing beer back to the U.S. (and I've had customs go through my truck when I had over two cases back there) so you should definitely grab some stuff to bring back if you're driving.

csano likes this.
  8. I'm headed back up to Vancouver in July with the wife for our 6th wedding anniversary. Definitely stocking up on cheaper Driftwood stuff.

9. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

The current Driftwood Beers available in WA state are:
    White Bark
    Crooked Coast
    Fat Tug
    Old Cellar Dweller
    Singularity
    and later this year we will be introducing:
    Sartori Harvest
    Twenty Pounder
    :)
    Sorry about the Price but it is an import... Cantillon in only a few Euros in Belgium....

10. csano

Thanks for the tips, man! I'll definitely use this as an opportunity to stock up on beers. We're thinking about taking the Victoria Clipper out of Lake Union, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to bring with me, but I'll certainly check with them.

11. csano

Any plans to release any of your wild ales down here? Or even better, any way of getting any of them while I'm up in Victoria?

I cry every time I remember this.

12. Mages64

to answer your first question: buckle up kids! you aren't going to believe what is coming in the next year!
    your second question: Nope. Unless a local wants to point you to a shelf where birds of prey is sadly forgotten, that beer has been gone for a long time. So has old cellar dweller and Singularity.

Did I mention that a keg of Singularity will be on tap at Brouwers Back in Black on the 11th? Wanna talk expensive....

13. csano

That's freaking exciting. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

I guess I'm ISO: Birds of Prey.

Jeez. This month and next are going to be really bad on the wallet. And probably the months after that. So many fantastic events/releases coming up.

14. Mages64

I don't believe it's a secret but the next sours will most likely be a Bordeaux barrel Kriek and an Oak barrel Old Bruin but who knows... blending might happen, weird fermentation might happen... a sour is a fickle bitch

15. csano

Sounds delicious. If you're ever looking for someone who's willing to give feedback...

16. $20 is high for Singularity, but here in Vancouver a bottle of Abyss or Stoic sells for $30+. Consider yourselves lucky ;-)

17. csano

I saw that when I was in Vancouver a few months ago. Crazy.

18. bgramer

bgramer Savant (335) Washington Feb 10, 2006

Yeah, it was $35.

19. Sorry to bump an old thread, but did Driftwood stop distribution in WA? I haven't seen a bottle of Fat Tug down here in ages. Nothing but the same Singularity and Old Cellar Dweller bottles that have been here for months...

Just got back from Vancouver and was pleased to see that they're now bottle-dating the caps. Picked up some fresh Fat Tug (bottle April 3rd) and Belle Royale.

JonnyBeers and Smurf2055 like this.
  20. Mages64

They are currently at capacity in BC but will be sending stuff down as soon as possible. Nothing sells as fast as fat tug in BC so I understand why nothing else is making its way down here for now.

21. Not anymore! At least this year, hope that trend continues ;)

Got my Abyss and Dissident for $18 or less. There's a few people in Vancouver who still have Bird of Prey, sadly drank my last bottle a few months ago.

If anybody wants to meet up in Bellingham I'll be there on the 19th most likely, can bring down a few cases of Driftwood stuff. BM me.

22. Good to know.

Speaking of Canadian IPAs, did Central City pull out? I saw all their cans get clearanced out at QFC U Village and Whole Foods RSQ a while back, and haven't seen them since. The legal issues with Bear Republic probably didn't help matters.

23. Mages64

Lol no central city didn't pull out but every Canadian brewery has needed to reevaluate a bunch of things such as price, packaging and beer quality.
    I'm hearing rumors that CC might start importing 22s instead of their quite expensive cans.

24. Cool. I picked up a 22 of their Imperial IPA for Autism beer over the weekend. Great charity and bottle art.

Rutager likes this.