1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinkin' from the bottle

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by snohojimbo, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Stopped at my favorite bottle shop today, Norm's Keg & Bottle in the cozy little town of Lk. Stevens, Wash. Grabbed a mix-a-six of (mostly) IPA's. Here's what I got: Firestone Double Jack, Mad River Jamaica IPA, Bison Brewing IPA, Goose Is. IPA, Lagunitas Sucks, and a 16 oz. can of 7 Seas Rude Parrot. I felt like drinking one on the spot so I parked next to the lake and ....what to do? I've got no glass to pour it into. Well, I've had the Sucks and the Double Jack before, the others are new to me. So I go with the Sucks, straight from the bottle. Pretty darn good. Is this acceptable? ;) Or should I keep a snifter (or a red solo cup) under my seat for the next time?

2. I feel like aroma is an essential part of beer tasting. Serving it in a glass allows me to smell and taste it better than from a bottle. If I've had the beer before and I'm feeling lazy I just drink it straight from the bottle. Keep in mind that some bottle-conditioned beers will have yeast slurries at the bottom that can also affect the taste if you don't pour them into a glass.

3. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Enjoy drinking your own beer however you want to drink it! As long as you aren't driving home impaired. o_O

4. Since many craft beers have sediment in the bottom of the bottle/can then there is a much higher opportunity for it to become disturbed because of the frequent upending of the container while taking swigs. So if you don't mind this sediment having a potential effect on the taste of your beer, by all means, drink it. I personally don't mind doing it, but I try to use care to minimize the effect.

5. No harm, no foul. Drink it how you see fit.

6. I can't imagine anyone finding it acceptable that you drank a beer in the manner that you saw fit.

denver10 and SadMachine like this.
  7. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (225) Ohio May 22, 2006

I do not mind drinking pilsners or lagers straight from the bottle.

8. Swik

Swik Savant (290) Indiana Oct 2, 2012

Like you said man you've had it before, if there's an option go with the glass, but when I'm around the pool or doing whatever in the summer there's nothing wrong with the bottle.

9. I don't think anyone is going to revoke your BA membership for drinking the occasional IPA directly from the bottle. In point of fact, if brewers hadn't considered this possibility they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of selecting bottles with a smooth and comfortable lip, almost as if they were designed to be drunk from.

10. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (375) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Live and Let Live, do what you want with your beer. Just no drunk driving, dialing, or texting.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  11. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Or posting ;)

I do believe your beer drinking privileges have been revoked in 37 states, though. First for the out of the bottle transgression, then for asking if it was OK. It's beer...and while glassware preferable, but just drink the stuff.

And I would suggest trying the search feature. I think this falls into the "beating a dead horse category".

raffels and beertunes like this.
  12. Try a paper cup, the type used for hot beverages. Once I was pre-gaming at a concert. Stopped off at the beer store.
    No glass, and took a paper cup from the store( it was a convenience store that sold beer).

The beer was Cadillac Mountain stout. Excellent.

13. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

I enjoyed a Gubna from the can yesterday.

It was delicious.

14. a good beer, overlooking a lake, and relaxing? I see not one ounce of anything wrong with that. Drink it from a damn ziploc bag if you want to, just enjoy the moment and the surroundings, and the beer!

snohojimbo likes this.
  15. HOW DARE YOU!

16. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I love drinking certain beers straight from the bottle. Also, for some reason, I love Jai Alai straight from the can. So goddamn refreshing...

17. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Put your phone/computer away and enjoy the lake.

CurtFromHershey likes this.
  18. lookrider

lookrider Savant (410) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

You were thirsty for a fresh Sucks in a beautiful setting? The wrong thing would have been for you to not drink that delicious beer because you didn't have the proper glassware. And I'm all for using the appropriate glass.

BoneyardBrewer and snohojimbo like this.
  19. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

In my experience, Sucks seems to be quite free of said slurry and well filtered.. Some IPA's, like Jai Alai on the other hand...

On topic, I drink a few single IPA's, like 60 min from the bottle.

20. Saviorself

Saviorself Aficionado (220) Ohio Mar 15, 2012

I was cooking dinner a couple nights ago and decided to enjoy a KBS in a glass. It was amazing of course so i decided to open another....well a buddy called so i recapped it, drove over and walked into his house drinking it straight from the bottle. They thought it was an empty bottle. After that we shared a growler of Plead the 5th. Awesome.

TNasty1126 and snohojimbo like this.
  21. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I keep an emergency tulip right next to the spare tire and jack just for reasons like this.

snohojimbo, LMT and Zimbo like this.
  22. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

In complete honesty, I keep a couple of growlers and a SiliPint (silicone pint glass) in my car at all times. Never know when they'll come in handy.

snohojimbo and Hanzo like this.
  23. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (560) California Oct 29, 2008

I wrote a limerick about the OP's story:

There was a BA with a mix pack
    Who drove to the lake to just kick back
    He had not a glass
    Fear not 'cause alas
    Drank it right from the bottle, Jack!

24. When I first got stationed in Germany a few years ago I use to always order mein Bier in einer Flasche: My beer in a bottle. I use to get the most retarded looks from the bartenders:) One day I suddenly realized how much of a difference the glass made:) But I guess it all depends on one question... Is the satisfaction of enjoying the beer in the bottle at that moment worth the sacrifice of losing the flavor you would get from a proper glass?

25. powz87

powz87 Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 18, 2012

I enjoy most of my zombie dust straight from the beer bong. I also like to live life on the edge.

26. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Sometimes you have to improvise,overcome,and adapt!

27. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

Whatever was lost by drinking it from the bottle was more than made up for by drinking it by a lake.

28. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

You're going to hell

29. I keep a snifter in my trunk. I'm not joking.

snohojimbo likes this.
  30. Don't drink beer straight out of a bottle. Just don't.

31. I play ping pong every tuesday night and I always drink from the bottle. At home I usually pour into a glass.

32. Sometimes I eat pan seared sea scallops with greens and bacon in cream. Other times I'm in the mood for a pizza from the local pizza place and I eat it out of the box. Sometimes I like to drink beer out of a snifter. Today I spent most of the day moving bricks, cement blocks, hauling metal and brush and right now I'm enjoying my Hop Rod Rye right out of the bottle. And if you can believe it, sometimes after mowing the lawn in the summer, I drink a beer right out of the can.

33. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

I drink BMC beers straight from the bottle. I wouldn't want to risk contaminating any of my glasses.

Spikester and Haydn-Juby like this.
  34. Ruger

Ruger Savant (270) Kentucky Aug 15, 2010

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, if I've had it before.

35. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

I only do the glass thing. there's a very different/muted experience from a bottle.
    that being said, I lack the glassware rituals of many others on this site. my glass goes into the dishwasher, and merely gets a quick rinse w/ water before filling up.
    Whatever floats your boat! if you prefer it in a bottle, it would be a crime to drink it from a glass.

36. I appreciate all the responses here. As a new member, I just wanted to share a little experience I had of enjoying a beer by the lake. I know its OK to drink from the bottle! I just love beer, always have, I guess. Even when I was 18 or 20 years old and my buds were drinkin' the normals, I would bring Lowenbrau or Michelob, or Raineir Dark, or Henry's Blue Boar Ale, maybe Mickey's Fine Malt Liquor, which had a pull-tab type top, as opposed to the screw on (hey, there wasn't a lot of selection in the early 80's). And now, I am looking forward to expanding the beer drinkin' experience! :)

alucard6679 likes this.
  37. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I almost never drink from a bottle or can anymore. Like to see the beer color, it's head, catch the aroma from the glass. Having said that if there is no other choice drinking it straight is NO problem.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  38. I have a HUGE problem with this

39. Might as well drink a budweiser. Just kidding. I stop at a coffee place and get a coffee cup to use, I hate drinking out of the bottle, it seems like to much flavor is lost.

40. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Sometimes the glass I drink it my beer from is also the container it came in. I think I will drink a KBS out of the bottle one of these nights just so I don't forget my beer drinking roots. :)