Drinking and Driving

Discussion in 'UK & Ireland' started by Cubatobaco, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I ran across this article this morning. Anybody familiar with this area? This would never work in the States today because there are too many police officers on a witch hunt for anyone drinking.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/weird/NATL-Irish-Town-Legalizes-Drinking-and-Driving-199867031.html

Irish Town Legalizes Drinking and Driving

Law allows people to “to drive home from their nearest pub after having two or three drinks on little-used roads driving at very low speeds.”By Patrick Hickey Jr. | Monday, Mar 25, 2013

Some local politicians are still shocked that the motion was passed.

The Irish town of Kilgarvan passed a law this winter that allows members of its community to drink and drive.

Proposed by local pub owner and politician Danny Healy-Rae, the motion allows people who live in country areas to have a few beers before they drive home. Healy-Rae told The New York Times he thinks the measure will help preserve pub culture, lower the risk of suicide and attack isolation in the small town.

Amid governmental and local backlash, Healy-Rae says the law isn’t supposed to apply to everyone, mainly "elderly people who live in very remote places."

"What is the alternative for them where no public or other transport is available? Staying at home lonely, staring at the four walls?” Healy-Rae told The Times.

Some local politicians are still shocked that the motion was passed, including one Kerry County council member who was absent when the measure passed because her child was sick, according to the Times.

2. The law does in any case allow drink driving provided that the drinking gives blood alcohol below a certain level. I was involved in an accident last year on the return from a pub; my driver had consumed a pint of premium bitter (probably around 4.2% ABV) and a half each of Gales HSB and Fuller's ESB. His breathalyser result was 21 and anything up to 35 is permissable.A couple of pints of session ale should certainly keep a nor,ally sized person under the limit.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  3. It's just the usual media hype around this kind of thing. It's not legalizing drink driving, because drink driving is the name given to the crime. It's just increasing the amount you can have before you're breaking the law. It makes sense really, as this is just a residential area. I mean, look up Kilgarvan on google maps. I would dispute it even being a town. There's probably so few police that this is merely formalizing how drink drivers would never get caught.

People are always complaining about minor things like this. Reminds me of the whole issue with Black Isle Breakfast Beer.

4. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

I love beer but drinking and driving is a bad idea get your g/f or someone to drive you!!!

5. Stupidist thing I've ever heard. If someone's promoting drink driving then they don't have a driving problem. They've got a drink problem.