1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking beer on a cold or when under the weather

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rvajohn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Only things I have reviewed.
    Or bourbon.

Cheers!
    Leebo likes this.
  3. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

This question/comment comes up all the time... Why?
    It is not conducive to a speedier recovery and in fact is more likely detrimental, plus your ability to properly taste it is greatly reduced. Take a couple days off and drink water and tea!
    Bitterbill, JxExM, vurt and 2 others like this.
  4. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

I just had the flu and had no appetite for about 4 days and no beer for the same. I just thought it was a waste if I couldn't enjoy it. Started to feel a bit better on the fifth day and had a Hennepin with a bowl of tomato soup and it was exquisite. Generally if it's just a common cold though, I'll drink like any other time
  5. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

I have not had a beer since Saturday. This cold has lingered since mid December. If I drink this weekend it will be Bookers 125.4 proof. That might cure me?
  6. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Not beer. Scotch w sugar warmed... A hot toddy! Cheers.
    hogansct likes this.
  7. I highly recommend making a hot toddy with bourbon. Works like a charm when I have a cold. 2 shots of bourbon, shot of lemon juiice, tablespoon of honey and boiling water.
    EdelweissDad, Schwantz and rvajohn like this.
  8. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

^^ I guess all home remedies are "indigenous". I was raised in Scotland... Bourbon somewhat scarce.
    hogansct likes this.
  9. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So the report you mention was done by a Japanese brewery. Not saying its not true but perhaps a bit biased. Anyway, I never feel like drinking when under the weather. I typically am stuffed up so I can't smell the beer and it does not taste the same. Also if you drink alcohol while on certain medicines specifically antibiotics it can actually reduce the efficacy of the meds which would prolongate your recovery. Just my two cents.
  10. rvajohn

The study also says you have to drink more than a case of beer. . . The idea and rationale of drinking to feel better is supposed to be some what light in thought and humours. Lighten up people.
    I just jones for a tasty beer while I'm sick and know that it is probably not in my best interest to have one. This was just some justification. I'd choose to indulge in a less expensive more readily available beer, if I did choose ot have one. And I did.

Cheers
  11. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I had the flu a couple of weeks ago. It's one of the few times I can actually remember going without any alcoholic beverages for over one week. I had absolutely no desire to drink any beer (and I had some tempting stuff in my fridge).

I'm glad I didn't. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it and it may have made me feel worse.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  12. rvajohn

I agree. I feel like death when I have the flu, but a little sniffle and a cough. . different story. There's all sorts of levels of being under the weather.
  13. you drink water you sleep. you no drink beer.
  14. If you're sick and don't want to drink - don't. If you're sick and you do - do.

For me, a study by a beer producer - about their own beer - concluding that you need to drink (30!) 12oz cans in order for there to be any effect is what it is: You figure it out...

But it does want to make me sign up for the next randomized, controlled trial...
    Cdax and rvajohn like this.
  15. Alcohol dehydrates you, and dehydration is bad for recovery. Sure if you have the sniffles and want a couple of beers, go nuts. But if you have a serious cold/flu/virus type thing going on, I don't know why you'd want to drink beer... (or even feel like drinking beer for that matter)
    vurt likes this.
  16. I generally don't do it. I wanna/need to get better! Some booze in my tea, maybe. Whats the point of trying new/good beer if you can't smell it?
    Bitterbill and vurt like this.
  17. I won't break open a Rare or anything, but I'll sip back on a few IPA's if I'm feeling it.
  18. scotch is the only cure for a sore throat, cough, cold or soberiety
  19. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I feel like this topic was recently touched on, but I cannot find the thread. At any rate, I stick to hot tea and whiskey(for the rest of course).
  20. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Doesn't make sense to me. If I'm a little stuffy, beer tends to make it worse. And of course, it's hard to taste. If I have a sore throat the tannins in red wine do seem to help a little. Gargling with whiskey might be helpful too.

Probably the best rationale for combining alcohol with a cold or flu is that it might be desirable to remain unconscious as much as possible until the infection is healed:D . This is the idea behind Nyquil and similar drugs.
  21. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Today I watched CBB and played Backgammon all afternoon with an old friend. I drank Bookers because of my respiratory issues.
    I gave him carte blanche on my fridge & room temp stouts. I just placed the following bottles into the recycling bin:
    Celebrator, Founders Porter, FBS x2, FIS, Old Rasputin, Edmund Fitz Porter, Free State Ironman, Guiness.
    I've created a monster.
  22. Peppermint Schnapps is a good one, it clears my sinuses (at least temporarily for 30+ minutes or so) and can be repeated with similar results. I can breathe a little better during the course of the night and at the end, I sleep better also. (big surprise) ;)
  23. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

drink yourself back to health
  24. sprucetip

sprucetip Advocate (510) Alaska Nov 13, 2007

Well, if you are looking for a rationalization, legit or not, you could take heart in the fact that alcohol kills germs. Not saying it will be good for your cold, but it satisfy your need for some sort of rationalization.
  25. cproioi

cproioi Savant (325) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

I suggest just heating up 2 shots of bourbon with some honey and lemon juice. Can't be bothered watering down the medicine. As for drinking beer, if I have the sniffles I'll drink something I already have had. If I feel like death warmed over then I'm not even considering it.
    rvajohn likes this.
  26. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I have a cold, and myrcenary sure sounds great.
  27. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (790) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

In college I was starting to get cold and proceeded to drink 18 busch cans that night. I was stone sober at bed time. When I woke up my cold was full blown and it was bad. I learned my lesson.
  28. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I have the same problem. I'm feeling better now, but this is day seven with no beer. I just feel like streaking, I guess. I'll be going to Stone's bistro on Monday and break it. It was be epic. :)
  29. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (330) California Feb 1, 2011

"Smell is the dominant sense affecting flavor. Without it, what we taste would be very simplistic and much more one-dimensional." Quoted from Decoding Flavor: Four Keys to Tasting on CraftBeer.com

Depending on the type of "under the weather" and certainly with a cold, the enjoyment of brew will likely be vastly decreased compared to normal... that's even if you're feeling like having any.
  30. Rye whiskey is my cold medicine of choice.
  31. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Nope. Plenty of water, orange juice, and fruits.
  32. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

This is how I feel right now... and tonight we have a tasting set up for my 30th b-day. Needless to say I'm pretty pissed; I hate drinking when I have a cold. Last time I was all stuffed up I couldn't even taste what I was drinking.
    danoeltico likes this.
  33. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Good time to hit the store for a couple 40s...LIKE A BOSS.