1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking beer with spicy food

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by craftbrew502, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I like pilseners with spicy food.

2. Had a Smuttynose Finest Kind that went really well with Thai.

3. As a big hops fan, I must admit that I prefer a balanced, even malty, beer with spicy food. Too hoppy of a beer, especially bitter hoppy, is just too aggressive for me to enjoy either. I like a lightly malty pale ale. After the meal though, bring on the hops.

4. BelgBeerGeek

BelgBeerGeek Disciple (70) Belgium Nov 11, 2012

Hops are ok for me with spicey food.
    But spicey food for me works best with Sour Ales/Gueze/Lambik !!
    Especially Thaï food !! it's so good eating a Thaï beef salad paired with drinking a Gueze just awesome !

5. This is a simple yet brilliant way to say it. It's definitely my philosophy as well, but I wasn't able to articulate it so succinctly.

6. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

I love IPA's with spicy foods. Especially curries.

7. Problem is - spicy food may impact the taste of the beer and beer may impact the taste of the food. My personal preference is to keep beer and food [any cuisine] separated as much as possible unless I don't care about mixing the flavors. The better the food or the beer, the less I wish to have anything interfere with the taste.

BrianNY likes this.
  8. I lived in Albuquerque for many, many years! The robustness of the New Mexico Green Chile(ie: Hatch or Espanola) is a wonderful medium to super hot...just begs for Ruthless Rye or similar beer. FYI, I would love a Green Chile beef stuffed Sopapilla and a Ruthless right now!

9. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Because that can happen, an IPA with a maltier background may help not to mask. Some suggestions IMO are : Newcastle Winter, Berkshire Lost Sailor, Appalachian's Hoppy Trails, Big Sky's Big Sky IPA, Uinta's Hop Notch, Two Brother's Heavy Handed, Argus's Pegasus and Mission Street's IPA. Some of these previously mentioned are English, so they`ll be maltier to begin with. Honorable mention IMO but not an IPA (depending upon who you talk to) and still good with spicey food : Evil Twin Hop Flood.

10. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I totally agree.

11. I grew up here in Albuquerque. You can't find anything else like Hatch chile! Last year at one of the bars i frequent, every time i went, i got their green chile bacon cheese burger and a pint of Ruthless... it was perfect. I don't know where you're at right now, but if you ever wanted to do a trade, i could definately send some green chile / home made tamales your way, depending on season.

12. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

It depends on what you are eating, or perhaps what styles you enjoy. Sometimes I like them with spicy food other times not, IPAs can be quite varied.

13. These crackpots who think hoppy IPA's pair well with spicy foods have lost their gazungas. I on the other hand appreciate tasting my food as well as beer. And yes, beer with a large fruit profile(like many IPA's) is a nice combination with a spicy meal. But if the beer is 40-50 IBUs or more, i'll pass. That philosophy is compounding heat on heat, blending fire with fire and is just too macho for me. Give me spicy dish with a beer that includes a quality malt character balancing the not only the meal but the experience.

14. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (655) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I drank Heady last night with Chicken Tikka Masala and Chicken Vindaloo, both spicy Indian dishes. The HT paired great with them both!!

15. I think the IPAs actually match well the spicy foods. Maybe you can try to have an extra glass of water to have eventually in the meal, whenever you judge necessary. It might "clear the path" to the IPA, yet still being a "neutral" taste. It could help.

16. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I have found beer from india... such as taj mahal and flying horse are great with spicy food....

17. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

This. So hard. Vietnamese food too. Just had a Finest Kind with the Grilled Salmon Bahn Mi at the Portsmouth Brewery. It was all kinds of amazing.

18. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I agree with this pairing, but Heady is not your typical IPA, to put it mildly.

Stinger80OH likes this.
  19. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I'd recomment a big ass malt bomb, a dopplebock or wee heavy. Occasionally, I get in a perverse mood and want a DIPA with my Mexican or Indian dish. What doesn't work are generic lightish lagers or blond ales... just drink water! Porters or stouts can work if they are malty. IMO, this is one of the very few poor pairings for saison. They don't clash, exactly, but a lot of flavor gets lost on both sides.

20. cproioi

cproioi Savant (325) Ohio Apr 6, 2006

I love hops and I love spicy food. Now with that said I cannot personally say I like hoppy beers with spicy foods. Personally I would suggest something low alcohol and low hops. My personal favorite is a British mild with my Indian food.

tai4ji2x likes this.
  21. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I have the same problem. I like spicy food and hoppy beers. I'm going to be experimenting with sweeter beers, maybe a marzen style beer with spicy mexican food would be nice.

22. i also dig spicy food (mexican, thai, chinese, indian whatever) and my go to lately has been spaten. ill save the ipa's for afterwards.