1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Drinking Buddies (Trailer); Movie available on iTunes/On Demand July 25, theaters August 23, 2013

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNICE555

DNICE555 Member

Is it weird that I'd take Anna over Olivia any day of the week?
  2. ColoradicalBEER

ColoradicalBEER Member

The only parts I remember besides Olivia Wilde drinking beer was that one dude wearing an Allagash shirt, Abita shirt and had a Avery hat hanging up in his house.
  3. Mfoleybrews

Mfoleybrews Member

I saw some pints and some brewery scenes, next time I want to see that guess what? I will take my ass to a brewery! Next time I want to see a chick flick I will stay home when wife has girls night.....no thanks!
  4. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

Beer and Olivia Wilde. Not necessarily in that order. Must be great!
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Ok, if it were totally improvised that makes sense then, no offense to actors but many need a script to run off of and there are few that can just do stuff off the cuff convincingly.
  6. hopswap1

hopswap1 Member

As a beer lover.. I still didn't like it.
    My girlfriend, as a girl... also hated it.
    overall, it was nice to bond over our dislike.
    not at all, I second this
  7. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Member

A nice little indie film. I thought it was good and felt more like I was seeing a theater play than a movie. The issues the actors dealt with were real unlike most large scale Hollywood fare. And plenty of craft beer to boot. Cool to see Rev Brew and Matty Kemp holding down the bar in one scene.
  8. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Member

That was Jake Johnson, who's also a homebrewer. Olivia Wilde also wore a Half Acre tee.
  9. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Member

A double bill with "Crafting A Nation"? http://www.craftinganation.com/
  10. Crispy25

Crispy25 Member

I thought it was a great movie. And damn did I want a beer after watching it!
    alysmith4 likes this.
  11. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

The movie version of a drain pour. I suffered through the first half hour and then scanned the rest. Awkward terrible acting and an even worse plot. Keep in mind that Anna Kendrick gained fame from twilight! I will make sure to stick to the classics and mid evil dramas I find MUCH more enticing. Jousting reality tv looks amazing after watching this tripe!
    Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I am pretty much convinced that the only people that love the movie are the ones that are so overly excited to see any movie with a beer theme that they can overlook all the mediocrity of this movie. Or that they know someone involved in the production or got some VIP treatment from the studio and don't want to bash the movie after being treated well.

I mean I am not a movie expert but I watch a crap ton of movies, usually 3-4 a week (and my fair share of chick flicks thanks to my wife) and this movie was just so flat in almost every single aspect.
    awdturboiv and alysmith4 like this.
  13. alysmith4

alysmith4 Member

Agreed. I found myself liking it, but then realized I was totally geeking over seeing a bottle of Zombie Dust or the Revolution posters, etc. (and I totally want that Allagash t-shirt!). It was definitely flat. But the (several) beers I had while watching it were not, so that helped. Plus, it kinda makes me want a "drinking buddy" like Jack Johnson - he's awesome! ;)
  14. foobula

foobula Member

I respectfully disagree. I'm quite confident that I'd like this movie regardless of the beer theme, or regardless of attending the screening. There's no cognitive dissonance going on, to me this movie is on par with Lost in Translation (another polarizing film which I mentioned earlier), Sideways, and other movies of a laid-back, subtle style. The acting is fantastic which is really what makes the movie. The camera work, music, scenery, etc. are icing on the cake. And it isn't like I had such a great time at the screening that I decided to like the movie, I was excited about it from day 1 after hearing that it filmed in my stomping grounds, and if the film had sucked I would have been disappointed and completely willing to admit it. Happily it's really really good.
    I would attribute the negative responses to "different strokes for different folks". It isn't an exciting film (SPOILER ALERT: the most exciting thing that happens is someone slices their hand open) however it's a compelling character study, a look into a subculture that I haven't seen portrayed on screen, and, pardon the phrase, well-crafted for the style. It's on par with lots of other character-driven films. And going back decades to films like Breathless (French New Wave) there's a well-regarded tradition of films that follow characters around, more or less in real-time, which most people would consider boring due to lack of a conventional plot or well-defined conflict. No doubt it isn't getting a wide release because it's not everyone's cup of tea, but there's no question in my mind that it's well-acted and well-made.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

We'll just agree to disagree then. If I were Giamatti/Murray and you put my performance in Lost in Translation/Sideways on the same level as the people in Drinking Buddies I'd be supremely offended.
  16. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Member

Hadn't seen the trailer. Watched the movie and aside from seeing a bunch of cool craft beers, the rest is just boring. Nothing funny, just a weird ass drama/love story.
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  17. Michigan

Michigan Member

I love ass dramas and love stories!
    mtskier and pixieskid like this.
  18. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Member

If only it was that.
  19. foobula

foobula Member

I'll yield on a couple of points, that 1) Ron Livingston was trying a bit too hard to act depressed & socially challenged. After seeing him play pretty affable characters in other films (e.g. Office Space) I wasn't really buying it. Perhaps he was miscast. 2) One of the supporting actors (the guy who gets with Olivia's character) was trying a bit too hard to be grating & not a very good actor at that. Otherwise I felt that the other 3 main actors were authentic & brought some life to their characters.
    Hanzo likes this.
  20. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Member

His character was horribly cast and boring. He was MUCH better in Office space.
  21. Crispy25

Crispy25 Member

I absolutely agree with you. You are not a movie expert.
    Hanzo likes this.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    pixieskid, MightySteede and foobula like this.
  23. Crispy25

Crispy25 Member

And obviously not a great comedian. ;)
    MightySteede and Hanzo like this.
  24. tree777

tree777 Member

I watched the movie and I can safely say the movie had nothing to to with craft beer or the craft beer industry.
  25. BEEER

BEEER Member

It felt like a pilot to some new CW tv show. There was nothing terribly wrong with it, but it ended and I was like- meh, ok...?
  26. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Member

Watching this snooze of a movie right now. I want my ten bucks back. :(
  27. foobula

foobula Member

Here's a rather extensive (and glowing) video review of Drinking Buddies from a few movie industry professionals on a review show called "Just Seen It" (which airs in a bunch of markets including Chicago.)

Fast-forward to 0:30 to skip the ads. An indie-style relationship study is obviously not everyone's cup of tea, but lest anyone think it's a clunker, here's good support in the opposite direction.
  28. silver0rlead

silver0rlead Member

^It just felt aimless and inarticulate to me, and didn't create enough of an atmosphere to make it even remotely interesting. This pales in comparison to a Duplass brothers film or some of the better talky indie dramedies.
  29. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Member

Rented it on Amazon. Quite good. Very true to life (very real).

Gotta love the brewery setting...
  30. bkov33

bkov33 Member

your a dude? change your avatar man
  31. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Member

Did he arouse you? It's ok. We're all friends here. :eek:
  32. zoocircle

zoocircle Member

There hasn't been a rom com/ romance movie my wife has ever disliked, until this one. It took us three nights to get through this one because it just couldn't keep our attention. If I want to see awkward flirting for 2 straight hours I'll hang out at the local high school
    RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  33. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Let's call a spade a spade. If we can't call the movie "bad" can we at least call it subpar at best?
  34. foobula

foobula Member

I believe my comment was responding to the critique of the acting as "bad". It's fascinating that most of the reviews I've read pick out the acting as a particular strength of the film (which I happen to agree with) while a couple call the acting "strained" or aimless. My conclusion is that there's a polarizing quality to the improv-style, script-less acting that was used. Maybe it's just too naturalistic for some folks. Same goes for the story. If you expect exciting things to happen in your movies and can't stand it when they don't, perhaps you should skip it in favor or something more formulaic. (Though I would still argue against skipping it if you want to show your support for craft beer on the big screen.) But speaking generally, I don't think you can fairly take a film that has a tomatometer of 80% and dismiss it as subpar. A.O. Scott of the New York Times gets the film, as do most critics. A few reviewers criticize it pretty thoroughly. Sucks to be them -- that they got little out of the film -- but they're in the minority.

Confession: I suppose my intense interest in the film is part validation & part aspiration. I feel a sense of pride that craft beer has "made it" to the silver screen, doubly so that it's the Chicago craft beer scene (both in the story & in the making), triply so that it's a movie I really enjoyed that's getting a great reception from critics I respect. The aspirational aspect is that the lives depicted on screen are way more interesting than mine -- oh how great it would be to work at a brewery, have a close group of friends/co-workers to hang out with after work, go on a double-date trip to a cabin in Michigan and have fun & intense experiences worthy of being filmed. So obviously I'm connecting with the film on a few different levels than your typical viewer.
  35. Mattys21

Mattys21 Member

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Member

I have more fun watching regular movies/tv-shows and spotting good beer in the foreground/background than I did watching these people drink pints of pale all over Chicago, while awkwardly flirting and wasting time.
  37. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Member

38. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

I'm more of an Anna Kendrick over Wilde but their stock went up after the portrayal. Decent flick but nothing to special.
    qchic likes this.
  39. czfreeman

czfreeman Member

I really was expecting alot more out of this movie than an alcoholic version of an episode of Dawson's creek. It was cool to see Revolution etc...but when it was over my friend and I said "what the F** just happened"? I lost an hour or so I'll never get back...good thing I was drinking
  40. Jonada

Jonada Member

While I generally agree with you that Rotten Tomatoes is pretty reliable, I'd like to point out that this is currently sitting at 91%.

Sharknado
    PalatePilot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.