1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Drinking my first Founders Breakfast tonight, but...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 19, 2013.

1. I noticed upon closer inspection that the bottle date was 11/28/12. Not sure if that will matter as I taste the beer for the very first time? It tastes pretty damn good to me! :D
    Just didn't know if it being 2.5 months old would matter. Would something fresher taste much different? Also, what is the optimal temperature to drink this beer at... room temperature?
  2. You're good, imperial/double stouts don't fade as fast as IPA's. I've found that FBS's flavors come out more as it warms also.
  3. Perfectly fine, enjoy a fine beer!
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

That's way too old. The hops have fallen off, you better send that one to me so I can dispose of it properly.
    CrisLin, regularjohn and mecummins like this.
  5. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (360) New York Jan 7, 2013

Nothing wrong with a few month old FBS. I like drinking mine just south of room temp (a bit under 60) but its pretty amazing at room temp too. Enjoy!
  6. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

at two and a half months old, it's possible the coffee has faded a bit but as long as you personally enjoy it that is all that matters. i've drank them anywhere from room temp to half frozen (on accident) and enjoyed everyone of them.
  7. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

coffee will fade eventually... but not too fast... fabulous, isn't it?

if you're sensitive to caffeine, watch out though... it's not a lot... but just enough to prevent me from sleeping before 2am if I drink it after dinner.....
  8. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

It's fine, not old by any means. This baby gets better as it warms. I kind of like starting it out around 50 or so where it isn't ideal yet and then once it hits that sweet spot, you look down at the beer and go, "DAMN, thats good." I personally bought an extra 4-pack the other day just so I'd have some in the Fall before it's released again and I know that my taste buds are craving this gem. At that point it'll be about ten months old and still delicious
  9. Such a great beer, wish I could relive my first time having it. Cheers!
  10. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (180) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

such a great beer it could be a year old and it would still be great
  11. KISSFR33K

KISSFR33K Aficionado (180) Michigan Sep 15, 2012

these are only available oct. thru feb. anyway so enjoy it because there almost gone till next year
  12. Excellent. Well, it went down rather smoothly to say the least. I usually prefer all of my beers on the cool to cold side depending on the style. I drank this one at around 63 degrees. I will chill the next one down a bit and try it.
    Yummy brew. :cool:
  13. Warmth brings out flavor embrace it, but 55 to start should be good.
  14. I ordered a pint of this at my local watering hole on Saturday and the waiter brought it to me in a frosted 23oz pilsner glass. Grrrrrrr.
  15. One of my favorite beers. Welcome to the FBS fan club!